BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I am in the market for a short shifter for my 2002 M5...and I am really wondering which is the "best" one to go with. I prefer a smoother short shifter as opposed to a really notchy and rough feeling. I went ahead and ordered the Kelleners stage two short shifter (50% shift reduction) a few days ago (has not arrived yet). I ordered it from John at Eisenhaus and he assured me I would be happy with it. Has anyone installed one of these?

I have had a few short shifters before on a 1999 Corvette and more recently a 2002 Corvette Z06 that I sold about a year ago. I had both the B & M and the Hurst...the Hurst was my favorite...pretty much everything you would expect out of a good shifter, precise, and minimal vibrations most of the time.

I know the UUC Evo 3 with the DSSR Rod is very popular...and there are others out there like the Active Autowerks and Racing Dynamics.

Any feedback on the short shifters, and any tips on the install? How about a good place to get a short shifter installed in the Atlanta, GA area? I am really ready to get this off my "want list" !

Thanks for the help everyone ! Garrett :D

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
"best" is to subjective.

CHeck out

UUC evo 3
RMS
ACS

And all the other ones on beast power.

Then serch google and pick one for your self.

THeres a ton of stuff on them on here too just serch "short shifter"

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am looking for some very recent install experiences and feedback, especially with the Kelleners or the UUC Evo 3 with DSSR. I already did a search and found a lot of helpful information but the more the better...right?

·
Registered
770 Posts
Hi Garrett

I think I’ve driven most f them and I like the Evo III the best. It seems to be the smoothest and its adjustable. I agree with Jayson it is subjective which is why the adjustability of the Evo is a plus. I like a shorter ride as I tend to rest my forearm instead of shifting at an angle.

Just my .02

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How about a reputable place to get a UUC Evo 3 with DSSR installed in the Atlanta area...theres always Global Imports BMW...but I know they will charge me an arm and a leg...:eek:

·
Registered
616 Posts
I have the UUC EVO III...

Pros: Much shorter throw, adjustable height (although you'll keep it at lowest anyway), can use exiting illuminated gear knob, cheap (relatively speaking)

Cons: notchy when cold...

TIPS: I have heard that the DSSR makes a bif difference - I am ordering one for delivery while I am in the US - so cant wait to get it on - hopefully will make the changes a lot smoother...

Where to buy:

Absolutely no bias....

I bought mine from Beastpower (Daniel) - alternatively, UUC Motorwerks website sell online, other resellers are sponsors of the M5board...

Definitely get the DSSR as well....

ALTERNATIVES: I have heard good reviews of the ROGUE Engineering octane - aparently Rogue engineering was set up by the same designer who setup UUC, and then went off to setup his own... the octane is eblieved to be counter weighted. I do not have any first hand experience of that one - but is slightly cheaper than the UUC EVO III

Fitting: Mine took just over an hour to fit, which involved dropping the front of the gearbox, in order to get into the awkward spot. Shouldn't be more that 2hours tops...

Hope this helps...

rgds

Was!

·
Registered
248 Posts
I just had my EVO III w/ DSSR installed 2 weeks ago. While they were working on it I had them change my tranny mounts to Rogue and put in Royal Purple Synchromax Tranny fluid. Very happy w/ upgrade. :flag:

BTW, Autometrics here in Charleston did the install for about $245 or so. A little pricey maybe, but it was worth it for me since I don't have access to a lift at the present time.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Whizzkid11 said:
I have heard good reviews of the ROGUE Engineering octane - aparently Rogue engineering was set up by the same designer who setup UUC, and then went off to setup his own... the octane is eblieved to be counter weighted.
I have the Rogue shifter and I'm completely satisfied with it. I think they're all going to be somewhat notchy when cold.

I've heard the same thing about the Rogue/UUC connection; from reading posts here, I've gathered there's no love loss between the principals of the two companies. The Rogue is not adjustable like the UUC, but it is counter-weighted. I went with RE over the UUC mainly because I had a RE in my 540 for three years and liked it.

Atlanta, regardless of which one you ultimately install you may as well get some aftermarket (UUC or RE) tranny mounts. They're relatively cheap, easy to install and make a subtle improvement. Also, I'd be concerned that the Kelleners you ordered will shift like a farm tractor with a 50% shift reduction. That sounds like a lot to me.

·
Registered
296 Posts
ATLANTA M5 said:
I am looking for some very recent install experiences and feedback, especially with the Kelleners or the UUC Evo 3 with DSSR. I already did a search and found a lot of helpful information but the more the better...right?
I have the Kelleners SSK in my car, and I think it does a great job.
I don't think it's the stage two, though.
And I think EdP is correct, all will be notchy when cold. That's just the nature of the M5 gearbox.

Best,
Bert

·
Registered
185 Posts
I had Korman, BL/SS (which became the original UUC kit) then added UUC ERK, UUC EVOII, and Autosolutions, all on different BMW models. I only disliked the Korman, all others fit my needs but if I had to do it all over again, I'd get the Autosolutions kit again. It's the closest thing to the "gold standard" ACS kit at 1/3 the price.

If you buy UUC buy from a vendor and not direct. I won't go into all the details here but just remember I warned you about buying direct from UUC.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
For you particular prefrences of a ssk, it sounds like the Rogue Engineering unit would be best for you as it is smooth and not that aggressive. I personally like Autosolutions kit as it is super tight and notchy but very precise.

We have installed a Kelleners ssk and it a very simple procedure since no rod is acompanying it. Basically, lift the leather boot off around the shift and disconnect the shift light wire. Then pull of shift knob, and other insulation pieces in the console. From under car, remove little clip off rod, and slide out. Do the reverse to install the Kelleners unit (which is not very aggressive from my perception). Hope this helps.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Save yourself the trouble and just get the UUC EVOIII/DSSR. I just had this setup installed on my beast last week and it completely transformed the shifting experience, for the better of course. I was skeptical at first since my beast is a daily driver and didn't want something too agressive. But my fear was unfounded after driving the car with the UUC setup for a week. I didn't notice any significant notchiness in shifting or any additional vibration on the shifter. Even my wife think the car shifts better now.

·
Registered
927 Posts
ATLANTA M5 said:
Hey everyone, I am in the market for a short shifter for my 2002 M5...and I am really wondering which is the "best" one to go with. I prefer a smoother short shifter as opposed to a really notchy and rough feeling. I went ahead and ordered the Kelleners stage two short shifter (50% shift reduction) a few days ago (has not arrived yet). I ordered it from John at Eisenhaus and he assured me I would be happy with it. Has anyone installed one of these?

I have had a few short shifters before on a 1999 Corvette and more recently a 2002 Corvette Z06 that I sold about a year ago. I had both the B & M and the Hurst...the Hurst was my favorite...pretty much everything you would expect out of a good shifter, precise, and minimal vibrations most of the time.

I know the UUC Evo 3 with the DSSR Rod is very popular...and there are others out there like the Active Autowerks and Racing Dynamics.

Any feedback on the short shifters, and any tips on the install? How about a good place to get a short shifter installed in the Atlanta, GA area? I am really ready to get this off my "want list" !

Thanks for the help everyone ! Garrett :D
Garrett,

Congratulations on your purchase! Another Atlanta M5 owner--can't wait to meet you.

For shifter install, call http://www.hyper-sport.net and ask for Bruce. They did a UUC install in TripleD's M5.

Best,

Najeeb

·
Registered
287 Posts
I installed the isolated version of the B&M shifter and im very happy with it. No noise, vibration, nice short crisp shifts. I did add the RE Weighted selector rod and it didnt make much difference.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I bought mine direct from UUC a couple of years ago and installed it myself. The job requires some patience and access from underneath the vehicle but it's not a complex procedure and doesn't require special tools or any significant steps like dropping the tranny. The only tricky part is getting the plastic retaining ring out. This is the step that requires a liberal amount of patience but can be accomplished with needle nose pliers.

While you've got access to the transmission, you should consider changing its oil and installing the firmer mounts. Might as well change the diff oil while you're at it. Let me know if you're up to these and I'll share some lessons learned.

B

·
0 Posts
Anyone looking to purchase the UUC EVO3 and/or DSSR, remember to use one of the following 3 coupons on www.beastpower.com:

- UUC EVO3 + UUC DSSR ($50 discount): TNPM-Y29JXS
- UUC EVO3 ($25 discount): RKWL-7LBUX9
- UUC DSSR ($15 discount): R276-JKFFLR

Cheers, Daniel.
<!-- / message --><!-- edit note -->

·
Registered
44 Posts
UUC EVO 3

I'm from Atlanta also, Alpharetta (30 miles noth).

I put the UUC EVO 3 SSK in my 2004 E46 M3. Had the work done by Harrison Motorsport and was very pleased with the result. I'm upgrading from the M3 to the M5 and should pick up the car on Monday!

·
Registered
616 Posts
BeastPower said:
Anyone looking to purchase the UUC EVO3 and/or DSSR, remember to use one of the following 3 coupons on www.beastpower.com:

- UUC EVO3 + UUC DSSR ($50 discount): TNPM-Y29JXS
- UUC EVO3 ($25 discount): RKWL-7LBUX9
- UUC DSSR ($15 discount): R276-JKFFLR

Cheers, Daniel.
<!-- / message --><!-- edit note -->
Dan,

Anything for Tranny mounts?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts