BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Note - see "brake cooling duct" for an explanation of why I was in here in the 1st place.

CAUTION: this post includes some technical jargon.

I got a look at part of the right front suspension today. Very unusual stuff. I noticed that there is a thingamajig that links the lower control arm, by means of a doober, to an thingy with a wire coming out of it. (See photo)

This is obviously a suspension position sensor. But what is its function? I suspect this part of the DSC system. But I suppose it could also be associated with the ABS, and even potentially the nav system which does have some dead reckoning capabilities built in. Anyone know?

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Could this be wheel sensors for the run flats and DSC. Greg, that might be part of it.

See you in SC.

------------------
Jim
00 M5 Titanium over Red

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
My guess is that they contribute to Sport Mode and/or DSC...

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
AlpyWhite -

The more I think about it the more I believe it has to be part of the DSC, ABS or both. But as I understand "sport mode", it ONLY changes the amount of power in the power steering and the throttle response. I'm not sure I see how it could then be related to suspension position. Was this just a guess, or do you have more info?

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Originally posted by Parkerfe:
Originally posted by Jim Dolan:
Could this be wheel sensors for the run flats and DSC. Greg, that might be part of it.

See you in SC.

The M5 does not have "run flats"
Parkerfe that was my short hand for the sensors that calculate rotation which are
supposed to let us know when our tires have lost pressure before we do "run flat". Sorry.

------------------
Jim
00 M5 Titanium over Red

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got a chance to ask about the thingy at Spartanburg. Yes, the sensor measures suspension travel; no, it is NOT part of the DSC's sensor matrix. (So Gustav - looks like you'll have to hand your license over AGAIN.
)

The truth: It is used by the high intensity headlight level adjustment system.

(Incidentally, the DSC relies upon the 4 wheel speed sensors, a yaw sensor and a 360 degree G sensor - in addition of course to steering wheel position.)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts