BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help deciding which route to go, SS w/o X-pipe or Tubi.

Also, I've read where you need a chip upgrade if you install headers; that wouldn't be necessary if I just install one of the above two items, right?

Thanks!

·
10,455 Posts
sublimaze said:
I need help deciding which route to go, SS w/o X-pipe or Tubi.

Also, I've read where you need a chip upgrade if you install headers; that wouldn't be necessary if I just install one of the above two items, right?

Thanks!
That's kind of a tough one. Tubi's are pretty quiet, imho, but without the x pipe supersprints would be too. With an x pipe, ss is definately louder. You don't need software with only mufflers.
Mike

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
SS without Xpipe is quieter than the tubi's...the SS with the xpipe would be about equal.

Yes you need a performance ECU flash if you decide to run headers as the M5 likes to run lean under full throttle after header install...

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
I've had the SS catback system (x-pipe + exhaust cans) for ~50K miles on factory software, and never had so much as a momentary SES light due to the exhaust system. My dyno pulls were roughly +8 RWHP peak after adding the SS system (against the baseline pull with B&B TriFlow cans only).

Everything I've seen tells me that headers require s/w updating.

-Dave

·
10,455 Posts
M5Kid said:
Dave,

Yep, right on. For optimal performance and engine reliability software is necessary.

Travis
Travis, i think Dave is saying sw is only needed with the headers, not the cat back system.
Really, the stock system is pretty good, you're mostly gaining some sound quality going aftermarket. Tubis do have a nice exotic sound, but to me, they're really quiet. My SS system seemed pretty quiet too, but the headers really have woken it up! I still go back and forth and am curious what the tubi rumore would sound like (in real life, i've heard the sound clips, and to me, it sounds like the supersprint system)
Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts