BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I hope someone can advise.
At the weekend i replaced the seals, tested and re soldered joints on the Vanos solenoids.

But today the engine error light came on
I connected inpa and it showed these as the faults:-

P.S. Previous this morning i ran out of petrol would this cause these faults?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
I'm afraid you got something wrong on the bank 1 board for the intake cam solenoids. The cam isn't going to where the DME is telling it to go. You don't have any of the codes for shorted or open wires so it looks like one of the two solenoids is plugged or leaking.
Can you do the DIS VANOS test?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi thank you for answering. I did the seals etc. a few week ago and the error only showed up now? I've done the Vanos solenoid tests using dis bank 1 fails and bank 2 passes. This I did again a few weeks ago after doing the work on bank 1. Here's a pic of the results

Attachments

·
Registered
10,114 Posts
Since you just had it a part I am going to guess you loosened one of the MOVs. In this thread we discovered that if you have a bad Mov or one disconnected it gives you a position control error only.
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/205485-time-get-up-close-personal-vanos-board-solenoids.html?highlight=vanos

I am saying this with a bit of wishful hope. You should be able to inspect (not sure repair) just by pulling the cover, without removing the board. It will be one or both of the two MOVs closest to the center of the motor on bank 1. You can test them electrically also, they test like diodes. BTW just in case .The MOV is the resistor looking thing surface mounted to the board. They are not resistors.

It is just as likely that you did not actually get your solenoids perfectly clean.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Since you just had it a part I am going to guess you loosened one of the MOVs. In this thread we discovered that if you have a bad Mov or one disconnected it gives you a position control error only.
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/205485-time-get-up-close-personal-vanos-board-solenoids.html?highlight=vanos

I am saying this with a bit of wishful hope. You should be able to inspect (not sure repair) just by pulling the cover, without removing the board. It will be one or both of the two MOVs closest to the center of the motor on bank 1. You can test them electrically also, they test like diodes. BTW just in case .The MOV is the resistor looking thing surface mounted to the board. They are not resistors.

It is just as likely that you did not actually get your solenoids perfectly clean.
Thanks very much
I stripped out this (bank one) a few weeks ago and decided later to re do the bank 2 at the weekend. I did remove the cover of bank 1 when I finished bank 2 to check for leaks which I didn't see any so replaced the cover. Up until then I didn't get any faults. So it possible that I've went and knocked a mov or two when replacing the cover?
Tomorrow I will remove the cover a visually check the mov's if all looks ok I'll pull the board check the solenoids for function and re clean them just to make sure and also check the mov's to see if they test ok!

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We'll I managed to strip out the solenoids and board test the mov's checked continuity from plug the board powered up each solenoid and and sprayed cleaners through each as well as blasting with compressed air all solenoids are working and are giving a solid click. Re installed and started the car up ran fine and no error shown. Tomorrow I'll have a run round and hopefully the fault won't come back

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Weird. Your 184 code is for the bank 1 intake cam VANOS, yet the DIS test shows the exhaust cam failing. Did you do that DIS test after you got the 184 code?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Hi yes I did the test after I got the fault

Just a thought where the cables come from below the plenum to each bank could these be connected the wrong way eg the cable which should be feeding bank 1 has been wrongly place to bank 2?
Could you disconnect the solenoids at bank 1 during test just to verify that

This error has came up since I ran out of petrol which I ran the engine to get to the petrol station and it just made it! Could it be this that's cause this to happen? Would disconnecting the battery help?

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Subscribing. I have a similar code (B9) and I'm planning on doing the seals next weekend. In to see your results.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok today I've driven around at all sorts of speeds and revs no light has come on cross fingers. So the re clean seems to have sorted it out
I also disconnected the battery for an hour or so this morning so I wonder if that had anything to do with it?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Does anyone know what the readings should be for the Vanos Solenoids test?

Also i'm thinking of changing the exhaust CPS'

1 - 14 of 14 Posts