BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my car will be my daily driver but wouldn't mind it to have a little more rumble.mabye like 1 notch louder than stock, i like it to sound stock under 3000rpm but to have a deeper and troatier sound and the revs climb. But not loud mabye something like a stock e90 m3. what would you guys sugest. I like the idea of the electronic cut out valves but don't trust the long term realability especialy with the winters here in montreal.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
my car will be my daily driver but wouldn't mind it to have a little more rumble.mabye like 1 notch louder than stock, i like it to sound stock under 3000rpm but to have a deeper and troatier sound and the revs climb. But not loud mabye something like a stock e90 m3. what would you guys sugest. I like the idea of the electronic cut out valves but don't trust the long term realability especialy with the winters here in montreal.
Cut off would be loud when the valve is open. I recommend removing only the resonator if you want something only 1 notch louder than stock.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Heaps and heaps and heaps and heaps of information out there and especially on this board.
Inevitably someone will point you in the direction of Timmay's muffler delete thread and I will be the first person to do that.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e3...straight-pipe-muffler-delete-fact-thread.html

If you think that's too loud then you can remove your resonator and run a straight mid pipe through to your stock mufflers.

The two main components you want to be thinking about changing are your X pipe/resonator and your mufflers.

A few examples

-X pipe no resonator + standard muffler
-Standard X pipe/resonator + aftermarket mufflers
-X pipe no resonator + aftermarket mufflers
-X pipe no resonator + muffler delete :applause:

Good luck

·
Registered
832 Posts
NO JC! Don't do it, bro. It's not worth it.

·
Company Representative for Valley Motorwerks
763 Posts

A Rogue Xpipe would be perfect.. my car got a tad bit louder but certainly lower and throatier...

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
If you want to go with cans that are a bit louder than stock but give the nice growl, id go for the B&B exhaust. I had them on before and they were maybe like 1-2 notches louder than stock. But for cost effectiveness, id just remove the resonators.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I've got the electric cut out valves where my resonators used to be with stock mufflers. With the valves closed I couldn't notice any difference between stock, so I don't think removing the resonators will really do that much. I'm not a fan of the X-pipe, too much rasp for my taste, but in your case I would try X-pipe and stock mufflers.

·
Company Representative for Valley Motorwerks
763 Posts
I've got the electric cut out valves where my resonators used to be with stock mufflers. With the valves closed I couldn't notice any difference between stock, so I don't think removing the resonators will really do that much. I'm not a fan of the X-pipe, too much rasp for my taste, but in your case I would try X-pipe and stock mufflers.
Maybe since I have the Supersprint mufflers but I get no rasp, usually an X configuration will reduce rasp.

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Cut off would be loud when the valve is open. I recommend removing only the resonator if you want something only 1 notch louder than stock.

One word. Drone.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Remove stock muffler's, replace with aftermarket with timmay's tips (search), most brands should be ok, I used oval magnaflows.
One notch more note but some extra drone under 1500rpm...

·
Registered
300 Posts
Kelleners mufflers with stock hands down.

Had them since new (2000 built). Never looked back. Bet sound ever

·
Registered
59 Posts
Supersprint X-pipe + Supersprint TUV rear mufflers with Magnum tips.
No rasp, no drone, just the perfect sound.
Guarantee to never be bothersome when cruising.
You will also get a substantial weight saving over your stock exhaust, as a side effect.
Adding our X-pipe, mid section to the E39 M5 does not add rasp, at all.
It does, on other BMW M models, such as the Euro E 36 M3, or the Euro E46 M3, but it certainly does not have the same effect on the E39 M5 V8.
As a matter of fact, there is no drone, even with the full Supersprint headers + HJS metallic cat system in place. Louder overall sound yes, but still no drone.
As we sell hundreds of systems of this same exhaust setup, each year, this may be the most popular M5 cat-back exhaust, since the introduction of the E39 M5.
Alessandro Gilli
Supersprint
Italy

·
Company Representative for Evolve Automotive
3,068 Posts
You will also get a substantial weight saving over your stock exhaust, as a side effect.
It does, on other BMW M models, such as the Euro E 36 M3, or the Euro E46 M3, but it certainly does not have the same effect on the E39 M5 V8.
As a matter of fact, there is no drone, even with the full Supersprint headers + HJS metallic cat system in place. Louder overall sound yes, but still no drone.
As we sell hundreds of systems of this same exhaust setup, each year, this may be the most popular M5 cat-back exhaust, since the introduction of the E39 M5.
Alessandro Gilli
Supersprint
Italy
This is a very very sophisticated setup which we have sold many times over. Nice idle, no drone and sounds sporty under load.

Very similar to our system but we have additional H Pipes for a different type of noise.

Straight pipes are a cheap way to get noise but for the OP it doesn't sound like he wants it this loud.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Alessandro Gilli
Supersprint
Italy
So to be clear, is there no drone at any point in the system? So installing just the Supersprint X-Pipe (with standard rear boxes) would also be drone-free?- I appreciate it's been done to death on here, but there doesn't seem to be a consensus on that point at all.

Be good to know the thoughts of the guys at Evolve too.

Cheers

Neal

·
3,068 Posts
So to be clear, is there no drone at any point in the system? So installing just the Supersprint X-Pipe (with standard rear boxes) would also be drone-free?- I appreciate it's been done to death on here, but there doesn't seem to be a consensus on that point at all.

Be good to know the thoughts of the guys at Evolve too.

Cheers

Neal
Using an X Pipe with the stock rear mufflers is literally zero drone anywhere above the stock setup.

The stock exhaust does actually drone at very low rpm's anyway (12-1500).

Our exhaust for example will slightly drone at 1500rpm under heavy load but then, so does a stock exhaust.

The areas we mainly concentrate on are the engine speeds where you spend most of your time which is around 1800-3000rpm.

Under cruising speeds even our loudest version is almost completely silent.

Our understanding of drone is a constant deep hum/bass note which is quite annoying. Our exhausts tend to pulse rather than drone which for most is quite pleasant as noise is broken up rather than constant.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Thanks for that - I drove a car with the full supersprint set-up (x-pipe and rear mufflers) the other day and it sounded really good, and was very quiet (other than when you wanted it not to be!) - I was just making sure that it wasn't the combination of x-pipe and boxes that was eliminating the drone.

My plan is to listen to a car with just the rear "muffler delete" and if that's too loud for me I'll probably just go for the x-pipe and keep my standard rear boxes.

Neal

·
3,068 Posts
Thanks for that - I drove a car with the full supersprint set-up (x-pipe and rear mufflers) the other day and it sounded really good, and was very quiet (other than when you wanted it not to be!) - I was just making sure that it wasn't the combination of x-pipe and boxes that was eliminating the drone.

My plan is to listen to a car with just the rear "muffler delete" and if that's too loud for me I'll probably just go for the x-pipe and keep my standard rear boxes.

Neal
I will get flamed for saying this but I am not a big fan of the muffler delete at all.

Sounds very 'monotone' under load. Sounds good when revving at a standstill.

Very boxy congested type of noise.

The quieter rear exhausts have pitch and depth. They sound like the car should be.

Video Below of our exhaust with just rear exhausts (quite ones)

Another variation with the very very quiet rear exhausts, x/h pipe with high flow cats and headers (headers do not really change the noise levels):

The first video - many of the people who heard this exhaust said it's how BMW should have released the car. Nice noise under load, under partial load just sounds right with minimal additional drone.

More videos will be coming with different setups.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts