BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My M5 has been running rough lately, feels like its down around 10% in power and sounds loud & coarse like a diesel under load, sometimes with a metallic pinging type noise about mid-range which disturbingly sounds like piston slap or valves hitting pistons, anyway hooking up the peake code reader revealed;

PHP:
error code 4b: intake camshaft vanos retard valve cyl #5-8
error code 71: intake camshaft vanos position control #5-8
anyone know what this is ?

I've looked at exploded vanos diagrams on http://www.realoem.com and it doesn't mention this valve.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Úbermensch said:
My M5 has been running rough lately, feels like its down around 10% in power and sounds loud & coarse like a diesel under load, sometimes with a metallic pinging type noise about mid-range which disturbingly sounds like piston slap or valves hitting pistons, anyway hooking up the peake code reader revealed;

PHP:
error code 4b: intake camshaft vanos retard valve cyl #5-8
error code 71: intake camshaft vanos position control #5-8
anyone know what this is ?

I've looked at exploded vanos diagrams on http://www.realoem.com and it doesn't mention this valve.
Sounds like one or more of the solenoids that control the cam rotation have gone bad. The 4 solenoids are mounted on a single PC board that is serviced from the front of the motor without removing the Vanos.

Take care

Shadowman

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yuk, they're expensive. Is there a quick fix solution ala the infamous MAF cleaning exercise ?

somebody tell me how to fix this with a can of wd40 and a straw :thumbsup:

·
Registered
784 Posts
Úbermensch said:
yuk, they're expensive. Is there a quick fix solution ala the infamous MAF cleaning exercise ?

somebody tell me how to fix this with a can of wd40 and a straw :thumbsup:
I would have to look back however as I recall the complete board is a couple hundred dollars and as I shared it is an easy swap. There no no substitute for this and the sounds and codes you shared lead this way...... It will be the unit on the right side if looking at the motor with the hood up whle standing in front of the car...... driver side in the US.

Shadowman

1 - 4 of 4 Posts