BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that it's not M related but I thought I would get an answer here.

I have seen several time this performance package quoted on the web but I'm absolutely sure it wasn't sold in France.

Could someone please explain was is it exactly (what are the parts added) and what was the price?
Is it US only or other countries got it too?

Thanks

·
Registered
129 Posts
paul LC said:
I know that it's not M related but I thought I would get an answer here.

I have seen several time this performance package quoted on the web but I'm absolutely sure it wasn't sold in France.

Could someone please explain was is it exactly (what are the parts added) and what was the price?
Is it US only or other countries got it too?

Thanks
It used to be a performance version of the normal 330i for the US initially. Then I believe they added it for Canada too. It has different brakes, different exhaust(read throatier sound), different wheel/tire setup, Alcantara Steering wheel, Alcantara shift boot, and alcantara hand brake boot. Sliver cube or black cube trim, different guages. Body kit is different. Car is the best looking 3-series ever. Handling is on par with the best cars. It was produced to narrow the gap between a regular 3-series and the M3, since they never offered a 4-door E46 M3. Also initially it was released as a 2003 model in a 4-door only and with a 6-speed only. Later 2004 onwards they added sport/auto shift, and coupe and convertible versions. Very hard to find, specially in a 6-speed, and very good looking car. My only gripe was that I wish they had uprated the power to around 250-265. That would have been the perfect E46 ever produced.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Basically a 330 optioned with M-tech II and alcantara interior pack, and a bunch of engine and suspension upgrades. The MSRP for the package was $3900. Many US magazines consider the 330i ZHP to be one of the best handling/balanced BMWs to date. Below is a list that was on bmwusa.com. Only thing I can add to it is Imola Red paint, which is usually reserved for M cars.

• Engine mods (new camshafts, electronics, & lighter flywheel) for 10HP & 8 ft/lb of torque increase & 6800 max RPM (from 6500).
  • 6 speed short throw shifter
  • 3.07:1 Final drive ratio (instead of 2.91:1)
  • Max Speed Limiter set to 155 mph (instead of 128)
  • New M suspension, more "sporty" than standard sport package:
    • Firmer springs (front +6%, rear +8%)
    • Firmer shocks (Jounce: front +50%, rear +20%), (Rebound: front +35%, rear -8%)
    • Larger diameter anti-roll bars: 23.5 mm front (v. 23.0), 18.5 mm rear (v. 18.0)
    • More rigid forward bushings
    • Lower ride height by 15 mm (.6 inches) utilizing shorter auxiliary springs
    • -.5 degrees of camber
  • BMW M exterior trim elements (front & rear fascia, side sills, & trunk lid spoiler)
  • Special exterior trim: Anthracite (charcoal) headlight & foglight surrounds, High-Gloss
  • Shadowline (black gloss) trim
  • Large diameter stainless steel dual exhaust outlets
  • Extra thick Alcantra steering wheel
  • Sport Seats
  • Alcantra & Cloth upholstry to replace leatherette and standard trim (leather still an option)
  • Choice of "Black Cube" or "Silver Cube" trim
  • Anthracite headliner
  • Red needles on the instrument cluster
  • Unique 18" Wheels (style 135M), 18x8.0" front, 18x8.5" rear
  • Wider Tires: 225/40ZR-18 in front and 255/35ZR-18 in the rear.
  • Steering ratio: ZHP has the steering ratio of 13.7:1. Non-ZHP cars as well as the E46 M3 is 15.4:1, and the E46 M3 Competition has ratio of 14.5:1.

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
It is a very good handling car for a factory stock suspension. I love driving it (it leaves the garage when it's raining since I try to never drive the M5 in rain if I can help it :biggrin: ) except it is hard to get used to the lack of midrange power. The M5 is no comparison with its massive torque just waiting to hammer you into the seat of course, but my two Volvos also have such a nice hit of low-mid rpm power once the boost is up that driving the 330i requires a lot different tatic (i.e. revving the motor between 5k-7k rpm). It would be nice if they had done two things: closer gear spacing between 2nd and 3rd (and so-on for higher gears), and provide it with a limited slip differential.

My only other complaint is that it seems to have too much rear compression damping at times.

Mine has the fabric/alcantara seats also which are very nice.

I just washed it (looks like pics above) this morning, and it is amazing how much it resembles a mini-M5 (front airdam, rear spoiler, etc.) in spots.

It could well use the assistance of an Active Autowerke S/C kit. :cool:

Chuck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts