BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week right after a winter storm, I smashed one of the foglights on my beater 540i by hitting a clump of snow that had fallen off another car in front of me.

There are so many ways to insult the beast this time of year, including:
  • Clumps of hard ice/snow (see above)
  • Negotiating mounds of frozen ice/snow piled on the foot of your driveway by street snow plows. Say hello to scraped floorpans, broken covers, and cracked bumpers.
  • Salt rocks hurled up from traffic ahead (or from a salt truck that you have to pass). Jackpot of rock chips.
  • Other driver's inability to properly control their vehicles on slippery roads. You never know when this will ruin your day.
  • Salt spray getting into every crack and crevice of your car. Rust never sleeps in an oxidizing world, and salt dramatically accelerates rust.
  • Hidden new potholes filled with salty water or soft snow. Say hello to bent rims!
Its sheeit like this that keeps my beasts in hibernation through the winter months.

If you don't have a beater, take care out there... :rolleyes:

Dave

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
+1

Not to mention getting stuck in the deeper snow!

It always seems to happen in stupid parking lots and nowhere else for me.

If you have rubber mats, they are extremely useful by putting them under one of the rear wheels to gain traction to drive on out of the embarrassing situation on your own!

My beast also hates cold weather! I'm talking -35C and lower. It won't start sometimes if it sits for a few days in my unheated garage. I'm installing a pad heater on my oil pan which will make the engine nice and warm and prevent a lot of wear and tear in cold weather engine starts.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts