BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm power hungry.. I want to delete my primary cats but I have a warranty up to 100k miles.

Option A: Cut the cats and weld a straight pipe. ( I think dealer will notice the welds and cause drama with warranty if I put the stock cats back?)

Option B: Gut the headers from the inside so the cats look stock from the outside?

Thanks in advance. 06 m5

·
Registered
13,461 Posts
If you value your warranty I would leave the cats alone.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
if it will void your warranty....dont do it. just get a section 3 and enjoy the sound lol
Agreed. I would not do something that might void your warrantee. That said loosing the cat's shouldn't void the warrantee, unless they cause the failure which initiated the warrantee claim. Read the fine print in your contract before hand.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Don't do it. Some here are having problems with warranty contracts getting cancelled for no just cause and here you are actively trying to void your warranty :biggrin:

I would do catback full system that is sec 1, 2 and 3 and something like RPI with decent gains and you don't have to cut anything. Worse case if something catastrophic happens and you need to take car back to dealer, put your stock sections back and you should be good.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
You could just do a v band setup so you have the option going back and forth. Do everything else first and do headers last if you really want to squeeze power out. Headers are a pain for a situation like this and not easily swappable unless v band.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Don't touch it! Ask Troy about the detailed inspection performed by the insurance agent when evaluating whether to approve/deny a claim. Any mods typically give cause to void the warranty.

T

·
0 Posts
Don't touch it! Ask Troy about the detailed inspection performed by the insurance agent when evaluating whether to approve/deny a claim. Any mods typically give cause to void the warranty.
I had a warranty claim guy here and he literally took about a hundred pictures of the customers car and noted the under drive pulley, air intakes, and rear tire size which was incorrect (275 instead of a 285). If you have a warranty, I would not mess with it ~ especially since your engine will most likely fail during ownership.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Crap.. Gotta tell evolve to cancel that on the cat delete :(. Thanks for scaring me guys ;).

If I would go v band that would still be noticeable when I put the oem right?

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I had a warranty claim guy here and he literally took about a hundred pictures of the customers car and noted the under drive pulley, air intakes, and rear tire size which was incorrect (275 instead of a 285). If you have a warranty, I would not mess with it ~ especially since your engine will most likely fail during ownership.
What happened after??

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
It depends on the inspector. The independent inspectors who come out to my dealer most of the time are clueless lol. One of them saw RPi scoops on another E60 M5 and he asked the tech and I "are those intercoolers?! Is this car turbocharged?" Literally word for word.

But it is best to play it safe, I agree.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I would just gut the original cats, if you have other mods on the car then arn't you going to void your warranty anyway??

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Well all I have right now is scoops, muffler delete and lowtec springs.. Evolve tune on the way and wanted to squeeze all the power out :wroom:

All that stuff could be removed for warranty work. Already got water pump replaced with muffler delete done.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I'd chance it personally. They will never know the cats are gutted unless they take the exhaust off. I very much doubt they are going to do that.

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
It depends on your SA and dealer and if they're modd-friendly. I've had a few different SAs and they all knew how modded my car was (look at my signature) and never had an issue with warranty work; whether it was the OEM warranty or my Easy Care extended warranty.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
It depends on your SA and dealer and if they're modd-friendly. I've had a few different SAs and they all knew how modded my car was (look at my signature) and never had an issue with warranty work; whether it was the OEM warranty or my Easy Care extended warranty.
Not always the case.... If you have an independent inspector come out they could care less what the service adviser says. I work at the dealer and know the entire process. I alway see people mention advisers and if they're mod friendly, etc that really only applies with new car warranties.

If you have 3rd party warranty ANY MODIFICATION NOT FROM FACTORY CAN VOID THE ENTIRE WARRANTY. Read the fine print on the 3rd party warranty contract and it will say down there and Bruce will say the same thing. Just directing this at everyone since it seems to be asked every single time there is a warranty and mod thread.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Not always the case.... If you have an independent inspector come out they could care less what the service adviser says. I work at the dealer and know the entire process. I alway see people mention advisers and if they're mod friendly, etc that really only applies with new car warranties.

If you have 3rd party warranty ANY MODIFICATION NOT FROM FACTORY CAN VOID THE ENTIRE WARRANTY. Read the fine print on the 3rd party warranty contract and it will say down there and Bruce will say the same thing. Just directing this at everyone since it seems to be asked every single time there is a warranty and mod thread.
On mine it says

ANY MODIFICATION NOT FROM FACTORY CAN VOID THE ENTIRE WARRANTY IF NOT APPROVED

·
Registered
7,328 Posts

I hear you but just stating my own personal experience. I bought my Easy Care extended warranty from my dealership and that probably helped as they never sent any adjusters out as far as I know. Whenever I had an issue, my SA would call Easy Care and they authorized everything over the phone.

Reactions: SuckaGDog
1 - 20 of 23 Posts