BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ill be one of you M5 owners this weekend and already catched the mod desease. What would you change/add/remove on the car in the first place? Thx

·
Registered
143 Posts
I,M soon to be a M5 member as well so I will face the same dilemma. I do have a Z8 now which I will keep and the best mod so far has been the eisenmann race exhaust by far, the the uuc short shift kit, CDV removal, Valentine 1, Potenza SO3's. Because of 3 kids under 9, 2 dogs and a lot of neighbor kids, the best mod not attached to the car is a "Stinger" car lift. More mods to come!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dang I thought the cdv is only for the E46 special option, now i need to re do this removal thing again soon...

·
Registered
13,010 Posts
dens said:
Dang I thought the cdv is only for the E46 special option, now i need to re do this removal thing again soon...
CDV not on the M5, although I believe it is on the Z8. Check Dave Zeckhausen's (board sponsor) web site.

Mods may depend on price, but I would do SSK first, Powerchip second. After that, only limit is your checkbook!
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
78 Posts
After track time, I hear the biggest difference is a Diff.

www.diffsonline.com : They carry's all applications for many different cars. They also have a calculator to enter your exact gear ratios to estimate top speed and RPM's for up to seven gears. Wish they could tell you acceleration, I bet it's possible but i'm not smart enough, Haha.

But, that is a expensive mod if you are going cheaper at first. Then get a V1, then the short shifter, then an exhaust (cause it's fun to make noise). After that you just don't stop.:hihi:

·
Registered
283 Posts
I just made my first mod ever, just last week. Installed a UUC short shift kit. I love it! (although, im generally not one for modding cars)
:noSMG:

cheers

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
UUC short shift kit custom made to 50% reduced throw
Suspenstion
Brakes
Headers.

In that order

·
Registered
530 Posts
Dens and Sampsue:

CDV is not on M5, but yes on Z8.

Now to the fun stuff. Depending on what your goal is, planning is essential to come up with a finished product you love more than the original. And the original is hard to beat.

If you want power, and you are not graceful on the clutch, then a clutch upgrade is essential. There are a couple of options, threads abound on this topic. The one inescapable fact is that the original 9" clutch is undersized. Even some will dispute that. If you like to bang gears, you need a better clutch.

Now for power, the first choice is headers. If you get headers, you have to get some manner of Powerchip to remap the fuel mixture. Headers lean out the mixture way too much. If you have the headers replaced, the clutch replacement requires the exhaust being taken out to do this anyway, so you can save labor there.

One comment though regarding the headers--the original headers (if you can call them that) are double walled. They did provide substantial sound deadening.

Then there is the exhaust. I have Tubi's the originals, not the louder Rumore. They are refined yet you know they are there. Others are generally louder.

Cold Air Intake helps heat soak, and I believe to a small degree (ha ha) some horsepower gain. I also installed 100 cel racing cats. The S62 engine needs to breathe.

The 3.45 diff helps, but I have noticed a marked drop in fuel economy since installation. What is does do if makes it easier to be in any gear and have the full torque band readily available. This is a driving style observation on my part, YMMV.

The rear sway bar brackets are also a weak link.

For pure drivability, SSK's are essential. If you never had one before, after a few hundred miles, you will wonder how you lived without one.

Handling options abound. Wheels, tires, trim carbon fiber aesthetics are substantial and can transform the look of the car.

Driving school is probably the best investment for yours and others safety. Street Stock divisions at the local 1/3 mile oval have 450HP. You get the idea.

I'm sure other board members will add to the discussion.

Welcome aboard. Enjoy the beast.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
First mod should defiantely be a short shift kit IMO. I am still a large fan of the Autosolutions setup which many of the new members seem to not be aware of. Best on the market IMO. After ssk, exhuast, intake, chip, suspension, headers, etc. As far as the wallet can take you;).

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
short shifter is def. essential. But this time I might try somethin other than UUC. I got the Evo 3 on my m3 and its pretty good. Anyone has fair comparison on which is the best Short shifter for our beast? thx

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
I still say the best option for ssk is Autosolutions (www.autosolutions.net). Any ratio and height you want can be made to order. Little bit more pricey but worth it IMHO. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
516 Posts
TCM said:
I still say the best option for ssk is Autosolutions (www.autosolutions.net). Any ratio and height you want can be made to order. Little bit more pricey but worth it IMHO. Hope this helps.
What are you comparing this too? Looks pretty similar to UUC?

Also, what did you pay?

Thanks.

Ryan

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've had my UUC SSK for about 2 weeks now and it makes a ton of difference. I would definitely recommend it as one to consider for your first mod.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Another recommendation for the Short Shift would be the Rogue Octane SSK which comes complete with Weighted Selector Rod, a truly superb piece of kit which will transform the driving experience IMO :M5thumbs:

If possible, try to drive or speak to owners who have had them fitted before making your decision, as there are a few variants available.

Good Luck & Happy Modding :cheers:

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
dens said:
short shifter is def. essential. But this time I might try somethin other than UUC. I got the Evo 3 on my m3 and its pretty good. Anyone has fair comparison on which is the best Short shifter for our beast? thx

If you don't like somthing about your short shift kit, either throw length or height you can talk to rob and send it back and have it customized in height and throw length to either the original throw reduction of 35% or custom to 50% or 65%.

·
Registered
958 Posts
My first mod was the UMF Motorsports IATS kit - this relocates the intake temp sensor outside the engine bay. It was pretty easy to do - a little intimidating to haul the bumper off. But it was cheap, and I have to say effective. I have felt much smoother acceleration - it should help a lot on hot summer days in LA.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts