BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I had the fortune of being to take a tour of my local Valero refinery here in Memphis, TN. They supply all of the gas within a 150 mile radius of Memphis. One of the gentleman on our tour (who is also a chemical engineer) was answering questions. I asked him this exact question and he explained all of the base gasoline is the same. The additives packages that are unique to each manufacturer are then added to make it "different." For the non brand name gas such as Costco, Kroger, etc., a generic additive package is added, that is as good as the others in relation to cleaning deposits. I flat out asked if this was inferior to the others, and he simply said that there is no emperical evidence to show otherwise. In fact the generic additive has to meet the same standards as the other additives.

Bottom line, it seems like you are doing no injustice by filling up at non top tier stations. But if it gives you piece of mind, go for it!
This still doesn't explain why I consistently get 2-3mpg more with Shell than costco gas. I too was interested in finding out and did my own experiment over the course of a month to compare the difference. After seeing a consistent 2-3mpg avg per gallon over about 3 tanks, I never went back to Costco/Non-top tier gas again. I have a very consistent driving pattern related to work and I did both hwy and city driving and each time recorded the miles per tank divided by gallons.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
This still doesn't explain why I consistently get 2-3mpg more with Shell than costco gas. I too was interested in finding out and did my own experiment over the course of a month to compare the difference. After seeing a consistent 2-3mpg avg per gallon over about 3 tanks, I never went back to Costco/Non-top tier gas again. I have a very consistent driving pattern related to work and I did both hwy and city driving and each time recorded the miles per tank divided by gallons.
2-3 gallons is pretty impressive. I actually averaged 18.9 MPG on my way up and down from NC to Indiana in the beast this weekend. Guess what...I used Sam's gas haha. So if Shell actually gave me 21MPG (doubtful) it would be well worth it! I am going to test your guys theory out just to see where it gets me lol.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
2-3 gallons is pretty impressive. I actually averaged 18.9 MPG on my way up and down from NC to Indiana in the beast this weekend. Guess what...I used Sam's gas haha. So if Shell actually gave me 21MPG (doubtful) it would be well worth it! I am going to test your guys theory out just to see where it gets me lol.
Actually, when I did my cross country trip back in September, I did avg 21mpg using mostly Shell gas. You bastards are lucky get 93 east of the Mississippi. And gas prices out east are WAAAAAY less than out here in the west. I was filling up for $2.75 at Shell. We're a good 0.50 more per gallon in CA.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Actually, when I did my cross country trip back in September, I did avg 21mpg using mostly Shell gas. You bastards are lucky get 93 east of the Mississippi. And gas prices out east are WAAAAAY less than out here in the west. I was filling up for $2.75 at Shell. We're a good 0.50 more per gallon in CA.
Wow, ok, maybe there is hope then for over 20 mpg haha. Shell 93 is still between $2.88-2.93, just filled up yesterday for $2.92. We will see how it works. It was 20 cents a gallon more than sams, so you guys better be right:haha:

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I should say that I kept a pretty constant 80mph too so that you didn't think I got 21mpg b/c I was driving 65mph the whole way. I have a final pic of when I pulled up to my house in CA showing 21.1mpg. I drove from Raleigh, NC to Corona, CA in 4 days.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
I should say that I kept a pretty constant 80mph too so that you didn't think I got 21mpg b/c I was driving 65mph the whole way. I have a final pic of when I pulled up to my house in CA showing 21.1mpg. I drove from Raleigh, NC to Corona, CA in 4 days.
HAHA, nice. I drove with my cruise on 80 as well, but went as high as 100 some places and mostly 90 mph. But I think you may be on to something...unless driving with the top down affects MPG. Funny thing too is that I have family in Raleigh, and I have family in Corona:hihi:. Do you live in Corona? If so, I will know who has the M5 :)

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Wow, ok, maybe there is hope then for over 20 mpg haha. Shell 93 is still between $2.88-2.93, just filled up yesterday for $2.92. We will see how it works. It was 20 cents a gallon more than sams, so you guys better be right:haha:
20 cents a gallon seems like a lot, but it is only 6.8% more than your Sam's gas, so you onlu need 1.3 mpg extra to be flat. So even if JT///M5's experience is double the norm, it is a wash from a cost perspective.

I have actually run the comparison between regular and premium and between no name and top tier gasolines in several fidderent cars (though never the M5) and have consistently found that the more "expensive" gasoline is at least as cost effective as the gas that costs less per gallon. Granted, that is only my emprircal data, but to me, that is actual support of my belief.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
You guys want to know what I think? There will be a different opinion for almost every board member. THE BEST fuel you can actually put in your tank is the one that gives YOU peace of mind :) Whatever the reason, you think it makes the car quicker, great, you think better MPG great, it's a little cheaper, great. Everyone has a different turn on, if it keeps you happy it's the best fuel :)

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I agree Stormster. My peace of mind is Shell or Chevron. Thanks fellas for all the insight. Imagine if I ask, "what kind of windshield wiper fluid do you folks use"? Ha, Ha:byee55amg

·
Registered
56 Posts
Resurrecting. Anyone have an opinion on using 93 100% gas (no ethanol) from a local gas station (no branded name) vs Shell or Chevron 93?

Curious if the 100% no ethanol is more advantageous even though it’s not necessarily a Top Tier with additives.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Shell V-Power (99 octane) is the only fuel that goes in mine, I've managed to get into the 23mpg region on a 180 mile trip sticking to 70mph on the motorways here in the UK

·
Registered
113 Posts
Resurrecting. Anyone have an opinion on using 93 100% gas (no ethanol) from a local gas station (no branded name) vs Shell or Chevron 93?

Curious if the 100% no ethanol is more advantageous even though it’s not necessarily a Top Tier with additives.
One of the bad things that happens with ethanol is that your mileage will actually decrease. The New York Times stated that E10 gasoline, which is the gas we use in America, actually gives you 2-3 miles per gallon less than gasoline. E85 is a flex-fuel with 85% ethanolloses 7-8 miles per gallon.Jan 25, 2019

Found that online. I'd love to try it myself and see the results if I could. Even though I only use top tier gas.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Fifth Gear test showed Shell is the best, and BP the worst. My MR2 Spyder started knocking last year after using BP gas for 6 months.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts