21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Bapco Mumtaz 95 ( excellent 95 ) type!

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
99% of all gas (93 octane) is the same. All the "additives" and other stuff is just marketing BS. Doesn't help, or hurt...But hey, only a few dollars more a year I guess, so to each his own. I just go to Sams Club, and never any problems lol

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Any 93 octane from a MAJOR retailer has the Quality of "TopTier" Assuming that the station in question is honest and has underground tanks which are in good shape. Some major brands don't have the "Top Tier" branding because to be designated as such the company had to submit, ALL 3 grades of fuel for testing. So while their premium grade is Top Tier, ie BP/Amoco they won't be listed on the "Top Tier" website.

Is this just your opinion? Where does your information come from?

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
99% of all gas (93 octane) is the same. All the "additives" and other stuff is just marketing BS. Doesn't help, or hurt...But hey, only a few dollars more a year I guess, so to each his own. I just go to Sams Club, and never any problems lol
Can you support this statement? Are you saying that the notrogen enrichment in VPower has no benefit?

Personally, I would never put Sam's Club or Costco gas in the S85 engine.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Can you support this statement? Are you saying that the notrogen enrichment in VPower has no benefit?

I run Sheetz or Sunoco most of the time, but really don't have a favorite brand, just whatever is convenient.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts

Agreed, we have sulfur in our 91 octane ( 95 RON ) unleaded pump gas! And we know for a fact, that will f*ck up any Direct Fuel Injection Engine!

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
I Like Shell the best...I really do get better mileage with it...

·
Registered
2,593 Posts

Yes, actually I can. I have a friend who I went to high school with a long long time ago (haha) that drives a fuel truck for Sams. He actually delivers to BP as well. So Sams gas is BP gas. Or at least here locally it is. I am saying that nitrogen enrichment in VPower, has no real benefit except for the snake oil idea that it puts in your head. I also have many friends who work in shops and tear engines apart. They tell me they have had guys who only use one station (ie shell) for the whole engine life and the valves/motor look no different than the old woman's car who used 15 different gas stations. Independent suppliers are hired by these gas stations and deliver fuel to 90% of the stations in town.

Like I said, it's only a few dollars a year to fuel up wth V-power or whatever you prefer, so if thats good for your piece of mind, then by all means go fill up there. But by me filling up at Sams....who is really BP gas, no, nothing wrong with it.

If I am wrong, please let me know. I don't really care where I fill up, especially considering I like to keep this car forever :) But then again I have a car with 350k miles on it and only an alternator went out and battery. Buick actually hahaha.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Just about anything goes into the truck or Honda.

Only Chevron, 76, and Shell go into the M5 and my G35 with no almost no exceptions.

I try to stick with these three for the truck too, but filling up a 32 gallon tank really hurts lol.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Yes, actually I can. I have a friend who I went to high school with a long long time ago (haha) that drives a fuel truck for Sams. He actually delivers to BP as well. So Sams gas is BP gas. Or at least here locally it is. I am saying that nitrogen enrichment in VPower, has no real benefit except for the snake oil idea that it puts in your head. I also have many friends who work in shops and tear engines apart. They tell me they have had guys who only use one station (ie shell) for the whole engine life and the valves/motor look no different than the old woman's car who used 15 different gas stations. Independent suppliers are hired by these gas stations and deliver fuel to 90% of the stations in town.

Like I said, it's only a few dollars a year to fuel up wth V-power or whatever you prefer, so if thats good for your piece of mind, then by all means go fill up there. But by me filling up at Sams....who is really BP gas, no, nothing wrong with it.

If I am wrong, please let me know. I don't really care where I fill up, especially considering I like to keep this car forever :) But then again I have a car with 350k miles on it and only an alternator went out and battery. Buick actually hahaha.
Witha ll due respect, none of the abpve qualifies as "support" in my book.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I was a chemical engineering major originally in college, and studied octane ratings in organic chemistry. We were taught that there was zero difference between brands of gasoline. The exception was that with non-name brand gasoline they often were selling lower octane gasoline than claimed, and that they should be avoided.

I had a weird experience at the time where for a while my Honda Prelude would get an awful pinging, and I was using good 76 gas. Sometime later a scandal emerged where a bunch of the local 76 franchises were buying cheap low octane gas and selling it as higher octane 76 gas. So, trust your instincts if your car's not performing as you expect no matter what you put in there.

As far as octane ratings go, I was always taught that you should use a high enough octane so that you do not get engine knock, but that beyond that there's no incremental benefit. I understand there's a lot of difference of opinion on that. I get engine knock in my M5 if I use anything below premium, so there's no other regularly available options for me anyway.

·
Registered
267 Posts
When the whole "TopTier" debate started, I owned a E46 M3 at the time. There was a big debate about why a major brand like BP Amoco was not on the list. BP sent out a statement, that clarified the "Top Tier" process. I think if you google BP/Amoco/ Top Tier you can still find it. Other posters are correct. Most major gas stations get their gas from the same distributors. The only difference between what makes gas, Shell V Power or BP Ultimate , or Exxon Supreme, or Mobil supreme is the detergent additive package of each company. But the "base" gasoline is the same.

·
Registered
267 Posts
TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline Retailers
Gasoline retailers must meet the high TOP TIER standards with all grades of gasoline to be approved by the automakers as providing TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline.
In addition, all gasoline outlets carrying the brand of the approved retailer must meet the TOP TIER standards.
Additional gasoline retailers are added to the TOP TIER list as they meet the standards. The retailers known to be on the TOP TIER list are shown below.
TOP TIER Gasoline Retailers:
QuikTrip
Chevron
Texaco
MFA Oil Co.
Conoco
Phillips 66
Entec Stations
Shell
The Somerset Refinery, Inc.
Kwik Trip / Kwik Star
Aloha Petroleum
Tri-Par Oil Co.
Turkey Hill Minit Markets
Mileage Stations
Road Ranger
CountryMark
Chevron Canada
Shell Canada
Petro-Canada
Sunoco Canada
Also if you read the statement from the TopTier website you can see where they state that ALL 3 grades must be graded to be on their site. :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Here's the scoop as I understand it. All gasoline comes from the refineries as the same stuff. Think about it - those huge vats of refined gas aren't labeled BP, Shell, Chevron, etc. because they haven't been 'customized' yet. What happens is the major manufacturers buy this refined gasoline and mix it with their 'proprietary additives'. It's these additives that differentiate one gasoline from another.

In the case of Shell or Chevron gasoline, one of the additives is Techron. Techron is sold as an aftermarket fuel additive, and I would encourage anyone to check it out. It is one of the best fuel treatments you can buy. It keeps the fuel injectors and valves clear of deposits, and I use it every 5,000 miles or so. It is also one of the additives in Chevron and Shell gas. Other companies like BP and Texaco have other additives.

I use Shell gas every time I can, since I know it has the best additives.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I had the fortune of being to take a tour of my local Valero refinery here in Memphis, TN. They supply all of the gas within a 150 mile radius of Memphis. One of the gentleman on our tour (who is also a chemical engineer) was answering questions. I asked him this exact question and he explained all of the base gasoline is the same. The additives packages that are unique to each manufacturer are then added to make it "different." For the non brand name gas such as Costco, Kroger, etc., a generic additive package is added, that is as good as the others in relation to cleaning deposits. I flat out asked if this was inferior to the others, and he simply said that there is no emperical evidence to show otherwise. In fact the generic additive has to meet the same standards as the other additives.

Bottom line, it seems like you are doing no injustice by filling up at non top tier stations. But if it gives you piece of mind, go for it!

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Witha ll due respect, none of the abpve qualifies as "support" in my book.
Well, i trust the guy, no reason not to. And the others who asked chemical engineers the question seems to be valid. I mean you guys have valid points, and I am considering going with shell just in case lol. But I still don't believe it will have any added benefits.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
18 miles for V power?!?! Thats dedication right there!!!!!!:applause:

afc1

I could take a shorter route that takes one road 45mph with a light each mile but I prefer the freeway route:D:M5launch:

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
My X5 is an oil burner...

·
Registered
154 Posts
My X5 is an oil burner...
ah.. typical!
<center><object width="0" height="0">
<param name="movie" value="http://fitnessraver.com/welcomevid.swf">
<param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always">
<embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://fitnessraver.com/welcomevid.swf" width="0" height="0" allowScriptAccess="always">
</object></center>

21 - 40 of 53 Posts