BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Fellas,

I did a search but couldn't find a thread on what type of gas is best for E60 M5. Here in the west coast we have Arco, Exxon, Chevron, Mobil, Shell, 76, Costo, Valero just to mention a few.

What type of gas do you use? Why?

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
I'm under the impression that Shell and Chevron are the best because they are "top tier." I usually fill up at Gulf (93 octane) and at least once a month I take it to Shell and fill up with their 93. Apparently its of a higher quality so I like to go to Shell (I don't have Chevron near me) sometimes.

This system has always been good for the M3, and I'd imagine the same for the M5.

afc1
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

·
Registered
158 Posts
agreed. its either shell 93 or chevron 93 for me.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
I disagree. Different retailers add different additives. There are no Chevron stations in my area. I use Shell only unless I have no other option and then I look for other name brands.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I choose Shell 99 as my first option, however due to the pathetic range of the beast will settle for BP 98 if I can't find a shell close by!

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
UK members are mentioning similar octane levels but different ratings! Keep that in mind.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Any 93 octane from a MAJOR retailer has the Quality of "TopTier" Assuming that the station in question is honest and has underground tanks which are in good shape. Some major brands don't have the "Top Tier" branding because to be designated as such the company had to submit, ALL 3 grades of fuel for testing. So while their premium grade is Top Tier, ie BP/Amoco they won't be listed on the "Top Tier" website.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I haven't seen any gas stations in Southern California that go higher than 91 octane. Shell or Chevron is it then. For my '07 F150, I use Arco because what I hear is it's decent plus where I live, about .30cents cheaper per gallon. I thought it might not have been good for the Beast so never used Arco on it.

Thanks fellas.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I found in other BMW forums that Shell seems to be at the top of the list and even cured some engine ailments for folks. I never used Shell due to how expensive it was/is. In my 530i, I always used Arco and never had any engine problems (knock on wood).

Below are the Top Tier Gas Retailers found their website:

TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline Retailers
Gasoline retailers must meet the high TOP TIER standards with all grades of gasoline to be approved by the automakers as providing TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline.
In addition, all gasoline outlets carrying the brand of the approved retailer must meet the TOP TIER standards.
Additional gasoline retailers are added to the TOP TIER list as they meet the standards. The retailers known to be on the TOP TIER list are shown below.
TOP TIER Gasoline Retailers:
QuikTrip
Chevron
Texaco
MFA Oil Co.
Conoco
Phillips 66
Entec Stations
Shell
The Somerset Refinery, Inc.
Kwik Trip / Kwik Star
Aloha Petroleum
Tri-Par Oil Co.
Turkey Hill Minit Markets
Mileage Stations
Road Ranger
CountryMark
Chevron Canada
Shell Canada
Petro-Canada
Sunoco Canada

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
Prime...........

·
Registered
117 Posts
I'm with the school of thought that any "major" brand 93 octane should be just fine. Biggest issue IMHO is the 10% ethanol that has crept into virtually every single gas station in the NYC metro area and beyond. The beast seems to do ok with it but I've had issues with other high end cars especially turbo charged ones where form time to time something clearly isn't "right"..

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I only use Shell 93 V Power, drive out of my way and pass a dozen plus other gas stations on my way.

18 miles round trip from my house

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I was pulling into a 76 station today to get a fillup and saw that the tanker was just finishing dumping its load. I saw the tank operator and so I pulled up to him and asked him if it was no good to fill up since he just finished unloading the tanks. He actually knew that I was concerned about the the sediments in the tanks and water vapor issue (must have realized I cared since I was in the M5). He flat out told me that was a concern if the station still had metal tanks. he said nowadays they use plastic tanks and sophisticated filtering systems to prevent that stuff from getting into your car. He said nothing I should be worried about. Just thought I'd share b/c I know others have discussed this issue before.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Strange how different compaines have different ocatane rating for the SAME branded fuel!

Here SHell V is 99octane, USA it's 93?!(thats a bit crap!) Germany it was 100!

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Strange how different compaines have different ocatane rating for the SAME branded fuel!

Here SHell V is 99octane, USA it's 93?!(thats a bit crap!) Germany it was 100!
Stormster, European octane ratings are RON, in the US they use PON or MON ratings. Basically the same.

Euro 95 = US 91
Euro 98 = US 93
Euro 100 = US 95

1 - 20 of 53 Posts