BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again guys,

Little background - I've had tight steering and a squeaky idler arm for over a year - This weekend I replaced the idler arm (and inner/outer tie rods), which solved my squeaks, but my steering was still super heavy.

After reading a bunch more posts, I learned about the servotronic valve on the power steering box.
I inspected the wires on my servotronic valve, and discovered a frayed wire where the harness exits the valve body causing a dead short at the valve connector. I was able to wiggle the wires and temporarily fix the short (7ohms with the short fixed) - just long enough for a 15 minute drive with power steering assist - wonderful experience...then the short came back and the power assist went away.

The wires are too sketch to permanently fix, so I will purchase a new servotronic valve tomorrow. I am, however, dreading the install....I've read all about the torx heads stripping, dremels for grinding, air-hammers for pounding, etc etc....

Can anybody who has replaced their servotronic valve help describe the process to me?
Did you use torx allen keys, or a small ratchet with a torx socket? Has anyone gotten the torx screws out without stripping them?

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
10,052 Posts
I can tell you how to attack it temporarily. Use a product called liquid electrical tape. That should isolate the fault to not short out until you get the nerve to fix it. Can't say I have ever taken one of those out, but if the screw heads are prone to striping then some tool with two handles on it would be best to reduce the side force/twisting from a single handled tool. A small impact tool might be best. The hammer style work great but require room, short of that I would try extensions and a small gun. I don't think there is even room for that, but maybe with enough extensions.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help Sailor - great suggestions.

I just found this write up - post #65 below:

It looks like the torx heads can be attacked from under the car after removing a few panels and heat-shield.....my nerves are growing stronger as I discover more posts....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts