BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,
Not long ago I had my bearings replaced and have been enjoying the feeling of safety it provided. Because I now have that warm and fuzzy feeling that my engine won't blow up, I really want to make the car that much more enjoyable to drive, so I need some assistance in where to begin. What mods would you recommend if I already have the following:
- H&R lowering springs
- CIC retrofit
- BPM tune
- CF Front splitter
- CF spoiler
- Gloss black kidney grills (I may replace these with CF ones).
- Matte white wrap
- All upgraded LED's
- Custom Orion V4 headlights
- E-race with x-pipe and no secondary cat or resonator
- Stoptech BBK (front only)
- RD Sport Sway bars

For reasons I haven't entirely figured out yet, the beast seems to truly hate the roads in SoCal, especially lately where she tends to ****her/sway in the ruts and imperfections in the roads. It seems to have gotten worse over the last few weeks and I would really like to minimize it if possible.
I have stock wheels with, IIRC, 12 and 15mm spacers in front and back respectively, and H&R lowering springs. I don't race or track the car so I couldn't quite justify spending the extra money on a coilover setup, plus I like the adjustable suspension as the GF isn't a huge fan of a very stiff ride.
Would the Dinan mono-ball setup make any noticeable difference to the way she handles?

I have also considered replacing the steering wheel for one of these:
https://www.bimmian.com/AutoCarbon-Carbon-Fiber-Alcantara-Steering-Wheel-for-BMW-E63-or-E64-6-Series

I bought a sportier steering wheel for my last car and it honestly was a very pleasant upgrade considering how much time is spent holding/looking at it.

I am also considering having the car wrapped again. I've been considering a frozen grey or potentially white again. I love the matte white wrap I have now and receive plenty of compliments but it truly is hard to keep clean and some marks never come out - (read: pieces of rubber kicked up at the car, or dirt which becomes embedded in the vinyl on the lower half of the rear bumper - probably somewhat related to the heat given off by the exhaust).

I also really need some upgraded rims, but am struggling to decide whether I want to stick with 19's and have a little more rubber, or upgrade to 20's and have a potentially "nicer" look, but have to deal with a slightly harsher ride...This may be one of the last mods unless I can find a really nice set of rims for a decent price :)

This is how she looks now:

An old pic - the front end now shows a fair amount of small rock chips/nicks in the vinyl.

What would you do? All recommendations are welcome.
Thank you,
~Pat

Reactions: BADRIDES

Registered
IB DinanS2++ e60m5 6MT, Dogleg s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
Congrats on your rod bearings. Glad the guys at OMS were able to take care of you.

I have the monoballs; they are really overkill for the street. They are nice, but they really shine when you spend any time at the track.

Have you thought about RDSport F/R sways? Your ride quality will not go away, but you will feel it as soon as you make your first turn. The body roll is nearly eliminated.

I had Dinan's front roll control and rear sway bar, which was stiffer than stock but also kept the stock understeer characteristics.

RDSport eliminated the body roll and understeer.

My mods are in my sig...

Edit: I just saw you have RDSport sways...I'd go for a steering wheel!

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Congrats on your rod bearings. Glad the guys at OMS were able to take care of you.

I have the monoballs; they are really overkill for the street. They are nice, but they really shine when you spend any time at the track.

Have you thought about RDSport F/R sways? Your ride quality will not go away, but you will feel it as soon as you make your first turn. The body roll is nearly eliminated.

I had Dinan's front roll control and rear sway bar, which was stiffer than stock but also kept the stock understeer characteristics.

RDSport eliminated the body roll and understeer.

My mods are in my sig...

Edit: I just saw you have RDSport sways...I'd go for a steering wheel!
I really appreciate the referral - they did take care of me and although it was more expensive than I'd hoped, it does give you that safe feeling.
I forgot about my sway bars, which were indeed a nice mod. I take it the monoballs are not likely to help correct the tendency for the beast to slime into the ruts of the road? Just wasn't sure how much difference they would make on a DD - your comments do help shed some light. Do you notice them on the street, or not at all until you hit the track?

The steering wheel is mighty nice...
I also considered evolve headers, but those would have to wait as they are pricey and I'm not sure I want to make her that loud.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe a set of wheels? hamann rear spoiler?
I like my current spoiler, although I really want a diffuser - they are just so $$$ for what they are. Wheels are tempting, but 19's or 20's, and then the most annoying question of all - which ones?! haha. I love the deep concave ones, but again $$$ grrrrrrr

Registered
I really appreciate the referral - they did take care of me and although it was more expensive than I'd hoped, it does give you that safe feeling.
I forgot about my sway bars, which were indeed a nice mod. I take it the monoballs are not likely to help correct the tendency for the beast to slime into the ruts of the road? Just wasn't sure how much difference they would make on a DD - your comments do help shed some light. Do you notice them on the street, or not at all until you hit the track?

The steering wheel is mighty nice...
I also considered evolve headers, but those would have to wait as they are pricey and I'm not sure I want to make her that loud.
I'm contemplating a steering wheel myself.

I do notice a difference on the street. What I have not experienced is the trammeling with my set up -- it might be your tires?? My review of the monoballs:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e6...n/316818-my-balls-mono-harder-than-yours.html

And all I can say is headers are fun!

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/103962780" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe> <p><a href="http://vimeo.com/103962780">e60 m5 s85 Dinan 1, 2, 3 w/3.5" resonator</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user13590459">EightyFiveHundred</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/110043439" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe> <p><a href="http://vimeo.com/110043439">Garry dig 2</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user13590459">EightyFiveHundred</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

Registered
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I'm contemplating a steering wheel myself.

I do notice a difference on the street. What I have not experienced is the trammeling with my set up -- it might be your tires?? My review of the monoballs:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e6...n/316818-my-balls-mono-harder-than-yours.html

And all I can say is headers are fun!

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/103962780" webkitallowfullscreen="" mozallowfullscreen="" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="281" width="500"></iframe> e60 m5 s85 Dinan 1, 2, 3 w/3.5" resonator from EightyFiveHundred on Vimeo.

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/110043439" webkitallowfullscreen="" mozallowfullscreen="" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="281" width="500"></iframe> Garry dig 2 from EightyFiveHundred on Vimeo.
They do sound pretty good, but my last car was a 7.0L strait exhaust monster and although I did certainly enjoy it, I have also grown fond of the more refined nature of these beasts. I'm not sure I could go quite as loud again.

Although it could be my tires, I haven't changed my tires recently and it has only been a week or two since it started happening this much. There has always been a trace of it since I put spacers on but lately it has been worse.

Have you considered the 3.91 diff?
I have actually. I think a little more low end torque could be nice, but I also had concerns about longevity of everything associated. How do the lower gears impact the SMG?
I'd be curious to see what speeds cars with 3.91's are shifting at compared to stock, if that makes sense?
Have you upgraded to 3.91's? If so, how do you like them in comparison to stock?

Registered
I have had the 3.91 diff for about 2 years now and have had no issues. I have done a few track days with it.

Since the SMG manages shifts by torque, it actually shifts better with the 3.91 at low rpms. In addition, it should also cause the SMG to slip the clutch less as it takes less output to move the car.

I think there was a proper calculation of the speed difference on the forums here. If I remember correctly, you loose between 10 to 20 km/hr on each gear. Overall, I believe you loose about 30 km/hr on top speed.

Registered
Hi all,
Not long ago I had my bearings replaced and have been enjoying the feeling of safety it provided. Because I now have that warm and fuzzy feeling that my engine won't blow up, I really want to make the car that much more enjoyable to drive, so I need some assistance in where to begin. What mods would you recommend if I already have the following:
- H&R lowering springs
- CIC retrofit
- BPM tune
- CF Front splitter
- CF spoiler
- Gloss black kidney grills (I may replace these with CF ones).
- Matte white wrap
- All upgraded LED's
- Custom Orion V4 headlights
- E-race with x-pipe and no secondary cat or resonator
- Stoptech BBK (front only)
- RD Sport Sway bars

For reasons I haven't entirely figured out yet, the beast seems to truly hate the roads in SoCal, especially lately where she tends to ****her/sway in the ruts and imperfections in the roads. It seems to have gotten worse over the last few weeks and I would really like to minimize it if possible.
I have stock wheels with, IIRC, 12 and 15mm spacers in front and back respectively, and H&R lowering springs. I don't race or track the car so I couldn't quite justify spending the extra money on a coilover setup, plus I like the adjustable suspension as the GF isn't a huge fan of a very stiff ride.
Would the Dinan mono-ball setup make any noticeable difference to the way she handles?

I have also considered replacing the steering wheel for one of these:
https://www.bimmian.com/AutoCarbon-Carbon-Fiber-Alcantara-Steering-Wheel-for-BMW-E63-or-E64-6-Series

I bought a sportier steering wheel for my last car and it honestly was a very pleasant upgrade considering how much time is spent holding/looking at it.

I am also considering having the car wrapped again. I've been considering a frozen grey or potentially white again. I love the matte white wrap I have now and receive plenty of compliments but it truly is hard to keep clean and some marks never come out - (read: pieces of rubber kicked up at the car, or dirt which becomes embedded in the vinyl on the lower half of the rear bumper - probably somewhat related to the heat given off by the exhaust).

I also really need some upgraded rims, but am struggling to decide whether I want to stick with 19's and have a little more rubber, or upgrade to 20's and have a potentially "nicer" look, but have to deal with a slightly harsher ride...This may be one of the last mods unless I can find a really nice set of rims for a decent price :)

This is how she looks now:

An old pic - the front end now shows a fair amount of small rock chips/nicks in the vinyl.

What would you do? All recommendations are welcome.
Thank you,
~Pat
First thing nice car and like your mods
Steering wheel made my car feel new n fresh

Attachments

Registered
Concave wheels n 20s love n them no issues at all

Attachments

Registered
image.jpg With these wheels those stop techs will look epic

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
I have had the 3.91 diff for about 2 years now and have had no issues. I have done a few track days with it.

Since the SMG manages shifts by torque, it actually shifts better with the 3.91 at low rpms. In addition, it should also cause the SMG to slip the clutch less as it takes less output to move the car.

I think there was a proper calculation of the speed difference on the forums here. If I remember correctly, you loose between 10 to 20 km/hr on each gear. Overall, I believe you loose about 30 km/hr on top speed.
Very interesting. How have you enjoyed it compared to stock? Are you glad you did it? Considering I don't track it, and barely even race it much (but wish I did more), would you consider it worth doing? I guess it would make flooring it from light to light more fun :2:
I don't, and don't suspect I ever will, hit top speeds, so I don't think that's a real concern. You are making me consider this more now.

Was mentioned here....while reading your original statement I would say the trammeling is due to your tires. What tires do you have?
I have 235 Pilot Sports up front and 285 Super Sport's in the rear. The former have been on the car since I bought it (tread is still good but would have to check how much) and the latter have been on the car for....several months (since I bought the BBK's).

I have noticed that my steering wheel seems to be off ever so slightly and I will bring it to the dealership for an alignment. That could be it I guess..

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
Concave wheels n 20s love n them no issues at all
Thank you for the compliment. I have watched your progression and must admit I really like your wheels and steering wheel. Did you notice an increase in the harshness of the ride as you moved to 20's? I wonder how those wheels would look in 19's if I decided not to move up.

I think the steering wheel would make a huge difference when I drove it, but would be far less noticeable to others/from the exterior. I'm not sure which I want to address more now. I think the staggered look would make a big difference as well. It would just suit the car's aggressiveness much more. May I ask where you purchased your rims? New rims and new tires would probably force me to wait several months though as I just purchased plane tickets for Europe and I'm still paying off the bearings :p
Thank you,
~Pat

Registered
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I think it may also be time to upgrade from painted mirrors to CF. They aren't excessively expensive and would add a nice little touch, especially when folded. I think that may wait until I determine whether I do a new wrap or remove what I have, repaint the front and rear bumpers and the hood. Car is originally Monaco blue and I'm not sure how well it would work with CF mirrors, kidney grills, trunk spoiler, front spoiler and black rims. Thoughts?

Would I be better off getting a new gloss or matte white wrap, or potentially a frozen grey? :)

Registered
I think it may also be time to upgrade from painted mirrors to CF. They aren't excessively expensive and would add a nice little touch, especially when folded. I think that may wait until I determine whether I do a new wrap or remove what I have, repaint the front and rear bumpers and the hood. Car is originally Monaco blue and I'm not sure how well it would work with CF mirrors, kidney grills, trunk spoiler, front spoiler and black rims. Thoughts?

Would I be better off getting a new gloss or matte white wrap, or potentially a frozen grey? :)
I'm Interlagos Blue...not quite as dark as Monaco, but I think the CF looks good. You can see my rear deck spoiler is CF. My wheels are not black, but they are pretty dark.

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter #18
She looks great. The thing about interlagos blue is it's more blue than the monaco blue and I think the CF will stand in contrast better than it would on mine. I think that's why I have been hesitant to have the wrap removed, parts repainted (usual wear and tear) and then a full detail done. That and I'm at work 80+ hours/week, which means a quick wash here and there is much easier on a wrapped car than on paint. I do like the gunmetal looking color of your wheels though.

Registered
Discussion Starter #19

Registered
I absolutely love it. One of the best mods I have done to my car. It doesn't matter how you drive or where you drive. You will feel the difference all the time. The car feels lighter and agile and more responsive.

Very interesting. How have you enjoyed it compared to stock? Are you glad you did it? Considering I don't track it, and barely even race it much (but wish I did more), would you consider it worth doing? I guess it would make flooring it from light to light more fun :2:
I don't, and don't suspect I ever will, hit top speeds, so I don't think that's a real concern. You are making me consider this more now.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts