BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2002 BMW M5 E39 Dinan
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I'm wondering what to look out for when buying a 2003 E39 M5.

I have time on my hands to search, and the whole united states / canada area to pick it up. I prefer to get the car from California since the weather is good here and I live here. I have dealer license so I am thinking to get it at the auction...I need to know the pit-falls when buying a E39.

This car is special for me, I want the 2003 since I believe it is the E39's best year. (Let me know if it is not)
Also how has the repairs been for you on those cars?
How do the engines hold up?
I am searching for a car w/ less than 50,000 miles, and I really don't want to get stuck fixing water pumps/belts and etc every 5,000 miles.

Also i've previously done everything on cars myself with great success, since I think independent mechanics don't know more than me (after I've done some good researching on the problem). My question is, is this car feasible to fix by yourself....like springs, bushings, timing belt, water pump, alternator ( Transmissiona and engine overhauls are too advanced for me..) ...or are the repairs listed too advanced. I got most tools except diagnostic computers.

Oto

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Eh, don't sweat it. I can delete it if it goes nowhere...

so where will this car be GOING? Latvia? (I note you say you live in CA but location on your profile is Riga)

I'd say a more appropriate questions is 'my budget it $xxxxx, what should I be looking for?' Do you value lower miles, history, pampered care, single owner, mods, etc?

A

1 - 6 of 6 Posts