BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at buying a 2000 M5 with 69K miles on it. They have all the service records which includes a recent new clutch. What are some other things, perhaps some common known issues, that I should be looking for when inspecting the vehicle?

thanks
jim

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Jim, I would have a pre-purchase inspection done on the car. Try the technician, Shane, at Harloff in Encinitas.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Jim,

Make sure the Vanos accumulator upgrade was done. It was covered under warranty if asked for. My 2000 with a built date of 05/00 did not have it repaired so I had to do it myself. Parts were about $550 with 9 hours of labor. What's the built date of your car?

Joe

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know what the build date is, but the in-service date is 11/99. The car has 69K miles with new clutch and tires.....asking 30K, this seems like a great deal???

·
Registered
837 Posts
Joe, I have a 2001 with no known problems, would I want to check into this vanos accumulator upgrade, or was this only on 2000 models? Thanks Josh

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
shoboat90 said:
I don't know what the build date is, but the in-service date is 11/99. The car has 69K miles with new clutch and tires.....asking 30K, this seems like a great deal???
Careful, cars with build dates between 10/99 - 3/00 are known to burn excessive amounts of oil. They changed the piston rings in 4/00 and that greatly reduced oil consumption. My car has a build date of 4/11/00. I currently have 3k since last oil change and it has not burned a drop of oil. Good Luck:typing:

·
Registered
590 Posts
Jim

Your car is an early model that would require the Vanos accumulator upgrade. It may have been done. Ask the previous owner or check the records. The built date is on the VIN sticker on the door or give me the last seven numbers of the VIN and I'll be able to tell you the built date.

Joe

·
Registered
590 Posts
bmwusa said:
Joe, I have a 2001 with no known problems, would I want to check into this vanos accumulator upgrade, or was this only on 2000 models? Thanks Josh
Josh

Your car should be past the manufacture upgrade. All cars from 12/00 would have the factory upgrade. Check the built date on the door jam VIN sticker.

Joe

1 - 9 of 9 Posts