BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Im in the M cars since 2009 (i had 2 E46 M3's since that year) but im still in the learning process when it comes to the E60.

The M5 is one of my dream car and i have now the oppurtunity to get myself one so im looking forward to know more about the car.

First of, i went and test drove the car this past saturday !!! Car felt overall very good except for the clutch/tranny... even on the sport mode (500hp) and the shifting level at the highest, it took forever to switch gears. Im not sure if the car only needs a reprogrammation of the SMG or a new pump or clutch. I have advise the seller i wont buy the car if this issue is not fixed. I also told them to bring the car to a local BMW dealership and have a full inspection done etc.

The only info i was able to get at the moment with a friend who works at a dealership is that all recalls have been done on the car.

So beside all that, im looking to know if the V10 is an engine that i can trust and if the maintenance cost will be very more higher then the M3?

I know and im aware about the cost of gas with those cars and im ready to take the risk and make it my weekend car.

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
779 Posts
Its really a crap shoot, if I were you just make sure you get a warranty.

I am one of the lucky ones, over 35k miles in 16 months, I have put on my car and nothing has broken other then needing a battery and an oil level sensor and tires and oil changes. On the other hand there are members who have had like 40k in repairs in 2 years, so they can be reliable or a nightmare.

The SMG cars seem to have way more issues then 6 speed cars like mine. The SMG is like a woman going through the change of life you, never know whats going to happen.............

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Hi guys,

Im in the M cars since 2009 (i had 2 E46 M3's since that year) but im still in the learning process when it comes to the E60.

The M5 is one of my dream car and i have now the oppurtunity to get myself one so im looking forward to know more about the car.

First of, i went and test drove the car this past saturday !!! Car felt overall very good except for the clutch/tranny... even on the sport mode (500hp) and the shifting level at the highest, it took forever to switch gears. Im not sure if the car only needs a reprogrammation of the SMG or a new pump or clutch. I have advise the seller i wont buy the car if this issue is not fixed. I also told them to bring the car to a local BMW dealership and have a full inspection done etc.

The only info i was able to get at the moment with a friend who works at a dealership is that all recalls have been done on the car.

So beside all that, im looking to know if the V10 is an engine that i can trust and if the maintenance cost will be very more higher then the M3?

I know and im aware about the cost of gas with those cars and im ready to take the risk and make it my weekend car.

Thanks
Mike
If the tranny took forever to switch gears you weren't going fast enough (and or wasn't set to fastest shift setting). M5 is a weird car that gets better depending on speed you're going at. This is unfortunate for those who want to enjoy it at daily driving speeds, because essentially the car wants you to break the speed limit.

With the S85 V10 you're getting yourself into a whole different world of hurt as far as prices go for maintenance, compared to E46. What to look for before purchasing E60 M5? Understand that this is essentially a cheap supercar. As such, the prices for maintenance will be ridiculous so the first thing I would suggest is looking at your bank account and shelling out more cash on a warranty that covers Transmission/Engine failures. If something goes wrong, you don't want to be stuck with a 30k repair bill for the engine, believe me.

Yeah, if anything, I'd say prepare yourself for high maintenance costs and definitely get a good warranty.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I've had my 2008 for just over 6 months and I've had $2000 in repairs (covered by warranty) and $1500 in tires. As previously stated you do have to think of this as a supercar and be prepared for the associated costs. This is cheaper than owning a Lambo, but not by such a significant amount as you might think. Getting a warranty is a very good idea, but it's getting hard to get one, especially on the older models. Also be very mindful of who you get the warranty through as most of them are just out to screw you. But even regular maintenance is expensive, front pads and rotors are going to set you back ~$800 on the low end and that's just for parts.

As for the SMG it's definitely slow and clunky when you're not driving fast. The faster you go (the higher the rpm) the faster it shifts. It is slower than most automatic transmissions when driving slow, there's nothing wrong with it that's just how it was designed. It's a bit of a pain but you get used to it.

Just read around a lot here, there is a ton of good info. I think I would have been better served if I had drowned myself in this forum for 6 months before buying my M5, I'm confident I would have made some different decisions. In the end though the M5 is a spectacular car and IMO worth every penny I've put into it. I drive mine every single day and miss it terribly if I don't drive it for a day. It's like crack, it's truly addicting to drive.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts