Have a 2002 E39 Beast...
Need to get my wifeeee a car...

Her reqirements:

Convertable
Automatic trans
Slick...

My requirements:

affordable... (high 10s upto Mid 20s)
need to be able to drive it over the weekends... (so no girly cars pls)

Recomendations Please...

·
Registered
1,472 Posts

·
Registered
12,935 Posts
M5ABI said:
just the facts...

Got married in July...
Have a 2002 E39 Beast...

Her reqirements:

Convertable
Automatic trans
Slick...

My requirements:

Recomendations Please...
Budget buster, SC430, probably mid $30's, but a hardtop convertible. 1st generation MB SLK 230, another hardtop convertible, but close to girly car IMHO, unless you get sport pak or find a 320 (again, budget buster, mid $30's). Audi TT a good call, and so are the older Cabriolets, made from 94-98. 4 seat, 2 door, 172 hp stock, one touch to take down roof, and it stows under a hard boot by itself. For everyday driving for your purposes, as good as the older equivalent 3 series IMHO and less expensive.
Also, MB E320, last year made 1995 (called 300 E in prior years). Should be in your price range. Another 4 seater, heated seats standard, rollover protection, and has old fashioned (pre merger) MB quality.
Too bad auto Mini Cooper S just came out, pricing above $30k. Have fun!!
Regards,
Jerry

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
M5ABI said:
just the facts...

Got married in July...
Have a 2002 E39 Beast...

Her reqirements:

Convertable
Automatic trans
Slick...

My requirements:

Recomendations Please...
Go for a Z8 Alpina! Seriously, the most fun per dollar car is IMHO the Mazda Miata.

David

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
I strongly second convertibles with electric hard-tops. Soft-tops are leaks waiting to happen (with age). There are NO exceptions to this rule. You buy an used (may be a little bit aged) sample and you are that much closer to the leaks.

May be a Vette with a targa top?

Just my 2 cents.

CP

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
DavidS said:
Seriously, the most fun per dollar car is IMHO the Mazda Miata.

David
M5ABI, CONGRATULATIONS on the marriage! I just got married in June as well...

I agree with David on this one. The Miata is a pretty fun drive, and very affordable...

Too bad she won't drive a stick!

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
DavidS said:
the most fun per dollar car is IMHO the Mazda Miata.

David
I'll third that assessment. Amazing thing is that you can get a MazdaSpeed Miata for less than $20k. That's an awesome car, and I'm tempted everyday by this little monster. You can always pick up a hard-top to help protect the soft top as well.

I replaced my super-charged Miata with my RUF, and call me insane, sometimes I wished I had kept my Miata as well. It is THAT good.

CP

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I think couples are cute with their matching cars... So I would say go for a 330cic. My brother has one and it does look great and has enough "oumph" do you won't be too upset driving it in the weekend.

I think getting her a Mita when you have an M5 is a bit of a mismatch. Oh and if you want you can get a M3 with SMG II. That is pretty much an auto if you don't want to use the paddles.

See how they look good together :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Mini cooper

·
Registered
251 Posts
Whatever but HURRY. I got married January a year ago... now shopping for a minivan zzzzz to replace her Accord. I'm Very happy for the reason (our 1st, he's due late October), but I swore I'd never own a minivan...

For you I second the vote for a gently used 3 series convertable with the attachable hard top.

Paul

·
Registered
648 Posts
I'd go for an E46 3er. 330, 325, or 328. The e46 M3 is still too expensive and the E36 M3 vert is nothing like it's hard-top brother. When they cut the top off the E36 M3 it lost most of it's fantastic handling. The e46 vert will probably be on par in terms of acceleration and handling with the e36 m3 vert.

·
Registered
445 Posts
how about a 98 or 99 boxster with a Tip... I see a lot of those in the low 20's now.

M5ABI said:
just the facts...

Got married in July...
Have a 2002 E39 Beast...

Her reqirements:

Convertable
Automatic trans
Slick...

My requirements:

Recomendations Please...

·
Registered
531 Posts
My vote is for the Miata, but isn't that a little mean - You get the ultimate sports sedan, and her budget is $20K

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
pkarmouche said:
Whatever but HURRY. I got married January a year ago... now shopping for a minivan zzzzz to replace her Accord. I'm Very happy for the reason (our 1st, he's due late October), but I swore I'd never own a minivan...

For you I second the vote for a gently used 3 series convertable with the attachable hard top.

Paul
Congrats Paul! Nothing is like waiting for something wonderful, is it?

David

·
Registered
754 Posts
Mini Cooper or VW Beetle Turbo convertible.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I got my wife a Toyota Solara, her choice. If you got a Convertible Sport model (has a nice little ground effects kit), it looks pretty slick. Brand new you'd be 30k'ish for the V6, but 1 or 2 years used you're in your price range. It's japanese, so it will last forever with very little problems, and it will be one of your few options that won't be 4+ years old. it meets the requirements, depending on if she/you think it's "slick" or not. But it's not german, which most of the posters seem to be steering you towards. I doubt your wife could care less who makes it. Just remember, if shes not a car chick, then you want something that is easy to maintain and keep running and you won't mind if she doesn't wash it every week like you do your car, unless you plan to wash it for her.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
SC430 for Mid 30's??? I have to do little more research on this cuz... she mentioned it to me... and I do like the hardtop part of it... but lot of options you have given me... thanks!
gsfent said:
Budget buster, SC430, probably mid $30's, but a hardtop convertible. 1st generation MB SLK 230, another hardtop convertible, but close to girly car IMHO, unless you get sport pak or find a 320 (again, budget buster, mid $30's). Audi TT a good call, and so are the older Cabriolets, made from 94-98. 4 seat, 2 door, 172 hp stock, one touch to take down roof, and it stows under a hard boot by itself. For everyday driving for your purposes, as good as the older equivalent 3 series IMHO and less expensive.
Also, MB E320, last year made 1995 (called 300 E in prior years). Should be in your price range. Another 4 seater, heated seats standard, rollover protection, and has old fashioned (pre merger) MB quality.
Too bad auto Mini Cooper S just came out, pricing above $30k. Have fun!!
Regards,
Jerry

1 - 20 of 33 Posts