BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have an M5 on order (early January delivery) and was curious as to the true capabilities of the car. I own a 2000 540i sport and am somewhat impressed but, not overwhelmed, by the power. Is the M5 a significant improvement over the 540i? Based on 0-60 times there seems to be a .7 of a second difference between the two cars, however, there seems to be a substantial increase in torque with the M5. Excuse my ignorance but M5's in this part of the country (Utah) are pretty rare and a test-drive is totally out of the question; as a result, I have only seen the cars, never actually had the opportunity to drive one.

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
Lots of M5 owners have or had 540's, including me. Expect a totaly different car. Corners flatter, stops faster, accelerates a lot better in any gear. Despite the fact that the M5 blows ALMOST every other production auto away in the 0-60mph test, this just isn't where it shines. Stomp on it from 60, 80, 100, 120 - it pulls and pulls and pulls and pulls. If you lean out the window I promise you'll have bugs in your teeth from the **** eating grin you cannot suppress.

As great as the 540i is (the second best 4-door sedan in the world) the M5 is absolutely better - it is NOT a subtle difference.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Dare to expect a lot and you won't be disappointed, you'll get probably even more than you think, as all the capabilities of this car can be fully exploited only on the racetrack

Even if on real roads you use one tenth of its full potential, it still is amazing.

------------------
SL

1 - 3 of 3 Posts