BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm torn......... how much of a discount does a salvage/rebuildable branded title have on a car you've been looking for? 2007 E63, 45k miles, 2 owners. But front end accident that required a new hood, both fenders and bumper replacement. No frame damage - per the owner?? Hard to find 6 speed MT, nice color combo. But the rod bearings will need to be replaced sometime in the next 5k to 15k miles if using the 50k to 60k mile range. Plus the other items like VANOS lines and oil squirters and other various LCI updates. When that is done, does the investment in those dollars get wasted because of the salvage title? I found a review of the dealer/owner and it wasn't very good, specifically on this car. Makes me want to say walk away. But I like the color combo and the rare 6spd. What do you guys think? At what discount do you say, hey go for it? Or when looking at doing the preventive maintenance like RB and such, do you lose the value. A non-branded title car, with the RB done, adds value to resale amounts. So it isn't a wasted investment. But will that salvage title forever make this a junk yard dog useful only as a beater? Which could be a lot of fun. But............ The cost of living with these is not cheap and spending money on it ......I just don't know.

Like I said above, I'm torn................ What do you guys think?

·
1,743 Posts
I'd stay away. MTs aren't that rare. In some states (like IL) registering a salvage title car is pretty much impossible.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I went through the salvage/rebuilt process with a Mazdaspeed3 in VA. A 20-30% discount is pretty standard for rebuilt cars that have the repairs and documentation needed to be re-titled. The process wasn't that painful, but the 'speed wasn't a particularly significant car and I felt like the 20-30% discount made it worthwhile on a fun DD. I don't think I would consider any M6 unless the discount was 40% or more.

·
Registered
5,959 Posts
For less headache, 6MT swap a clean titled m6.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I decided to walk away. The seller/dealer wasn't providing any documentation or photos of the before and after work. Said he didn't have any receipts for the work. That a friend who owns a body shop did the work, blah, blah........... Not very comforting for representing a car for sale when he bought it in wrecked form.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Good call, not having that info would make it difficult to sort out, let alone the fact that you'd have no idea what the actual background is.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts