BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys Im in the market to buy new tires next week and just wanted to see what tires you would recommend for my M6 Im debating between PS2"s or pirelli or maybe even yokohama tires which ones would you say is best I will be running 20' Neez wheels 245x30x20 Front & 285/295x35x20 Rear.

Thanks in advanced

·
Registered
118 Posts
I just changed from Conti to Michelin PS2s and I'm very happy with the added grip/ride... If these were not enough :) I was going to look at Pirelli... I'm running on standard 19 inch rimms. Peter

·
Registered
386 Posts
When I got my 20's (20x9 and 20x11) I wanted tires that were rated above speeds of 180 mph. There are only a few tires that have such a rating. The Pirelli, PS2, and Yoko. I also wanted a 305x25 rear and that dropped the PS2 out but I think they are now available.

I got the Yoko's and they are an excellent tire but they do wear quicker. The softer compound does give you better grip. I have PS2's on my 997 and had PS2's on my last 3 AMG's as well. They are a great tire as well.

I generally run my car daily up to over speeds of 160 mph so I wanted to make sure the tire can handle those speeds over repetitive runs. If the PS2 is available in 305x25 I am not sure what I would get next.

Reactions: Powerbeast

·
Registered
427 Posts
When I got my 20's (20x9 and 20x11) I wanted tires that were rated above speeds of 180 mph. There are only a few tires that have such a rating. The Pirelli, PS2, and Yoko. I also wanted a 305x25 rear and that dropped the PS2 out but I think they are now available.

I got the Yoko's and they are an excellent tire but they do wear quicker. The softer compound does give you better grip. I have PS2's on my 997 and had PS2's on my last 3 AMG's as well. They are a great tire as well.

I generally run my car daily up to over speeds of 160 mph so I wanted to make sure the tire can handle those speeds over repetitive runs. If the PS2 is available in 305x25 I am not sure what I would get next.
over 160? and your from cali!!? i need to move where you are!!:applause::M5rev:

·
Registered
386 Posts
over 160? and your from cali!!? i need to move where you are!!:applause::M5rev:
Toll Roads FTW!!! I know all the speed traps too. I think if I was on regular Cali freeways this car would not be half as much fun.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Toll Roads FTW!!! I know all the speed traps too. I think if I was on regular Cali freeways this car would not be half as much fun.
Which toll roads are you referring to ... in O.C.??? No cops at all? Man I'll get on these roads just to take the car up to those speeds!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Which toll roads are you referring to ... in O.C.??? No cops at all? Man I'll get on these roads just to take the car up to those speeds!
OC toll Roads. But if you dont know the traps, watch out...

·
Registered
397 Posts
Hey guys Im in the market to buy new tires next week and just wanted to see what tires you would recommend for my M6 Im debating between PS2"s or pirelli or maybe even yokohama tires which ones would you say is best I will be running 20' Neez wheels 245x30x20 Front & 285/295x35x20 Rear.

Thanks in advanced
Powerbeast,

I have Pirelli's on the car right now and have no complaints. You might want to re-think about your tires sizes. Generally the a lower series tire is recommended for the rear. If you choose 30 series for the front, 25 series is what usually whats best for the rears. Just a thought. :dunno:

Reactions: Powerbeast

·
Registered
155 Posts
i have pirrellis p-zeroes aswell, i'll vouch for them. once you get them a bit warmed up they're really pretty all around. but a bit pricey compared to the rest of the market i believe...

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What do you guys think about bridgestone potenza tires?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yokohama is good and quite comfortable and quiet, when you take the size in consideration. Grip on dry condition is excellent! Not so good on wet, but then again, which tires are in this dimension?

·
1,764 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
What do you guys think about bridgestone potenza tires?
Powerbeast,

Try giving Wheel Warehouse in Anaheim a call. There's a guy by the name of Devon and he seems very knowledge about tires. Also, their mounting systems never touch your rims. Had mine tires mounted there and I have no complaints.

Here's their site.
http://www.wheelwarehouse.com/

Tell them that Sam with the White M6 DPE's sent you.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Ill give him a call this afternoon

·
Registered
132 Posts
New Tires

Just went to Michelin PS2--- acceptable improvement over the OEM Contis. I'm on stock wheels and tire profiles.

Looked into the Pirelli line as I've always been a fan ---but the road system for our M6s is apparently very noisy and the track day tire --the fabled Corsa, has anecdotal issues: chunking and belt mis-alignments---moot because I wouldn't go to track without several shaved sets on hand, marvelously sticky but not very practical for the street.

Cautionary tale to those who increase wheel diameters and tire sections-- be very wary of departing from BMW specs--especially for go-fast. The Ferrari Enzo that wrecked at 160 plus (in Malibu on PCH) was wearing up-sized non-factory wheels and skins... seems the driver had the bling wheels installed because he clubbed on Sunset Strip and the nose embarrassingly scraped driveway curb cuts. The extra ground clearance was why the car went airborne after a mild hump--the aero effects designed into the stock configuration was compromised and the car literally flew into a power pole 20 feet above ground level.

·
Registered
132 Posts
PS2 vis a vis Contis

My observations: In essence you get what you pay for, and the uptick from Continentals is not trivial.

The PS2 Michelins have a softer tread compound than the Contis -- so they have better dry stickiness and I definitely feel an overall improvement in handling. But the most significant difference is greater precision and the confidence it engenders. The sidewall rigidity is a few ticks stiffer than Conti, so the suspension does more of the work of keeping the tread footprint flat and the tire doesn't squeeze laterally as much. I notice better turn-in placement and feedback feel -- and I'm comfortable that the absolute limits are higher but more importantly a PS2 will telegraph transitional adhesion better than the harder compound Contis ---more warning at the limit. With the Contis, I always had the feeling they'd want to let go all at once, the Michelins are more "forgiving". Very important on twisty public roads to have a chance to back off and save the bodywork.

With DSC off, the PS2's are more graduated and predictable especially when using the throttle to transfer the core handling away from designed-in push.

Ride comfort? My observation is a tweak more harshness on some bad pavements than the Contis -- this owing to the sidewall stiffness but I'll accept that in favor of the other benefits. Otherwise ride compliance is very good. Road noise is not an issue as it apparently is with the Pirellis.

Wear should be about the same as the OEM Contis--but the Contis may have gone alot further with less throttle after I learned my way around M-mode!!.

As for wheels -- I've stayed with the stock BMW 19" alloys for many reasons, most of which I've already posted. If this was going to be a track car you'd change a lot of things so the wheel/tire/brake combo would be re-specified. But the tire section/sidewall ratio, and unsprung weight combination is a nice setup for public road driving. Every design system is a complex balance of many factors -- I am very content with what BMW decided for a high performance road car.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
104 Posts
thanks much, I'm still waiting for my damn contis to wear out, looks like it'll be a loooong time

gonna keep my stock wheels. (I will try lol) The only aftermarket ones I like are the ACS Type V because they look similar to OEM.

I may be in the minority but I dont like big lip wheels with blacked out centers

1 - 20 of 32 Posts