BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
will I need to run to make the wheels as aggressive as possible on my 07 M6. These are the offsets and sizes of the wheels. Do you think a 7mm spacer all around will be too much?

20x8.5+18 front
20x10.5+20 rear

Thanks again guys

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
will I need to run to make the wheels as aggressive as possible on my 07 M6. These are the offsets and sizes of the wheels. Do you think a 7mm spacer all around will be too much?

20x8.5+18 front
20x10.5+20 rear

Thanks again guys

What size tires?

You'll just have to try it and see how you like it -- everyone has their own tastes. I will be running 20 x 9 +15 in the front and 20 x 10 +13 in the rear. I think your rears will be okay but I think +11 on the front might be borderline depending on the tire size. You'll also want to consider the style of your wheels (lip or no lip).

Keep in mind that the stock M6 wheels are 19 x 8.5 +12 front and 19 x 9.5 +17 rear.

-b.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Absolute best way to determine spacer size:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What size tires?

You'll just have to try it and see how you like it -- everyone has their own tastes. I will be running 20 x 9 +15 in the front and 20 x 10 +13 in the rear. I think your rears will be okay but I think +11 on the front might be borderline depending on the tire size. You'll also want to consider the style of your wheels (lip or no lip).

Keep in mind that the stock M6 wheels are 19 x 8.5 +12 front and 19 x 9.5 +17 rear.

-b.
Thanks man. I am going to run a 255/30/20 front and 305/25/20 rear Nitto Invo tire.

Do you think a 5MM will be better? The reason I am asking without measuring is that I will be getting the wheels shipped with spacers and I don't want to hassle with trying to find good spacers around my city, as they are slim to none.

The wheels have no lip, they are full faced so I want them to be sitting perfectly flush on the fenders with the H&R springs I have installed. What do you think?

Thanks man!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Thanks man. I am going to run a 255/30/20 front and 305/25/20 rear Nitto Invo tire.

Do you think a 5MM will be better? The reason I am asking without measuring is that I will be getting the wheels shipped with spacers and I don't want to hassle with trying to find good spacers around my city, as they are slim to none.

The wheels have no lip, they are full faced so I want them to be sitting perfectly flush on the fenders with the H&R springs I have installed. What do you think?

Thanks man!
It's really difficult to calculate when you don't have a set of the rims mounted with the tires you'll be using, beforehand. If you're super picky, I would order them without the spacers, get them on the beast and then measure to your liking. If you don't want to wait and you're not super picky, I would probably just do 5mm spacers in the front and 7mm in the back, but it's a complete guess and could be wrong.

You have something else to consider too -- if you're lowered with H&R springs, you're dropped about 1" (25mm). The stock wheel/tire diameter of an M6 is about 27". The tire sizes you've selected are about 26" diameter, so you will have a full inch of wheel well space above your tires (that you don't currently have if you're running the 255/40/19 & 285/35/19 stock M6 tire sizes).

I ran into the same problem when shopping for my 20" wheel/tire combo and had to give up the wider tire size I wanted. The problem is that there aren't any manufacturers that I like making the tire sizes (for the diameter) that would work (and I don't want to be any lower than the H&Rs currently have me). Additionally, you have to worry about other things like speedometer and such when you change the overall rolling circumference from stock.

Unfortunately, most manufacturers don't have anything in the optimal 20" size that would give you a more aggressive tire width and still keep the factory 27" diameter. 255/35/20 fronts and 295/30/20 rears accomplish this but unless you want to shell out the money for PZeros or PZero Corsas, you're pretty much out of luck for anything that I would deem a worthwhile tire. That being said, I don't even think PZeros are available in the front size. I basically just gave up and took some comfort in the fact that with the wider rim width, the tire would still be slightly wider in terms of actual "section width" (contact area of the tread when mounted on the rim).

At the end of the day, I just chalked it up to splitting hairs, really. What's the actual difference in road holding ability between two tires from the same manufacturer with a difference in section width of .2"? :dunno: I'm certainly not going to lose sleep over that. ;)

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

-b.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I sure hope that the tires don't look too small. I have seen a few cars on here with the set up and it seems to look nice. Now I am a tad worried :/. Have you seen any pics of those tire sizes on an M6 with H&R? Is the gap going to be unbearable now?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I sure hope that the tires don't look too small. I have seen a few cars on here with the set up and it seems to look nice. Now I am a tad worried :/. Have you seen any pics of those tire sizes on an M6 with H&R? Is the gap going to be unbearable now?
It's going to be 1" larger than it is currently (assuming you have stock wheels and tires). As I said in the previous post, I was going to do 305/25/20 and decided against it because I didn't want to lower my car any further. You can really only get lower with RD Sport springs but those only get you another 0.4" drop, still leaving over a bit of a gap.

Of course, if you don't care about using your EDC settings, you can go with coilovers, but I haven't researched those much so I couldn't tell you what kind of drop they would give you. I like the ride with the H&Rs and I wouldn't want to be lower than I am due to the problems it gives you running on city streets. I also don't want to lose my EDC settings. That being said, many members are running the KW Coilovers and are very happy with them. Again, I'm not sure how much lower than 1" (25mm) of a drop they can give you.

I'm more anal about lots of wheel well showing through than I am about wheels being pushed out perfectly flush to the body.

-b.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's going to be 1" larger than it is currently (assuming you have stock wheels and tires). As I said in the previous post, I was going to do 305/25/20 and decided against it because I didn't want to lower my car any further. You can really only get lower with RD Sport springs but those only get you another 0.4" drop, still leaving over a bit of a gap.

Of course, if you don't care about using your EDC settings, you can go with coilovers, but I haven't researched those much so I couldn't tell you what kind of drop they would give you. I like the ride with the H&Rs and I wouldn't want to be lower than I am due to the problems it gives you running on city streets. I also don't want to lose my EDC settings. That being said, many members are running the KW Coilovers and are very happy with them. Again, I'm not sure how much lower than 1" (25mm) of a drop they can give you.

I'm more anal about lots of wheel well showing through than I am about wheels being pushed out perfectly flush to the body.

-b.
thanks for all your help. I am also anal about my wheels, and am anal about both gap and flush. I really overlooked that as it seemed like the norm for people running 20", but maybe people aren't as picky as I am. I had 21's on my M6, and they sat perfectly in the wells, I was hoping my M6 would do the same, but it seems I am going to have to pick up some new tires to make that happen. I have contacted my wheel guy with the concern so hopefully tomorrow he can let me know what he thinks. I am hoping to maybe do a set of 255/35/20 and 295/30/20 to make it look ok. I'll keep everyone posted. Thanks again man, you have been very helpful.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

-b.

Thanks to your info I just got the tire sizes changed last second. I can't thank you enough for making it more aware to me. I put 255/35/20 and 295/30/20 tires on the new wheels instead of the other size. I think I will be MUCH happier with such tires. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Thanks to your info I just got the tire sizes changed last second. I can't thank you enough for making it more aware to me. I put 255/35/20 and 295/30/20 tires on the new wheels instead of the other size. I think I will be MUCH happier with such tires. Thanks again.
No problem.. What tire brand did you go with? I couldn't find anything I liked in those sizes (for all the way around). I was okay with the PZeros but couldn't find them in the front size..

-b.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Toyo Proxes 4. I have Had the tire on a few cars and it is a great tire. Priced much more reasonable than the Pirelli's as well.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Toyo Proxes 4. I have Had the tire on a few cars and it is a great tire. Priced much more reasonable than the Pirelli's as well.

Are you happy with these? I believe they are an all-season, not a max performance summer tire. I think they are probably lacking compared to PS2s, PZero Corsas or even the Hankook V12s.

I also hear they are loud as hell...

Is anyone else running the Toyo Proxes 4?

-b.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts