BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 E39 M5 (Feb 01 build).

I have some pretty nasty looking yellowed out head lights. Before I spend a couple of valuable Saturdays wet sanding and polishing, I am looking for ideas, opinions, and alternatives.

As it stands, I do not have a problem buying new lenses if that is an affordable option. But I have never really been happy with the way they look anyway. The Angel Eyes are kind of yellow and I know that i can buy various bright LED / Xeon lamps to fix that. But the Day Time running lights are ugly. It just uses the regular lights (the ones on the inside).

I prefer the look of the later models that have nice bright angel eyes for the day time running lights. Is there any way to re-wire that?

Any ideas?

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Not sure what you meant by "later models that have nice bright angel eyes for daytime running lights" because no E39s were wired that way. You can wire yours that way, but none of these lights are pre-wired to run that way. With 01 lights you have the best lights available for these cars. Whiter/brighter angel eyes can be achieved by changing the angel eye bulbs and angel eyes as DRL may be progammable with the LCM or by re-wiring but you will need to do some research with that. You can buy lenses seperately or sand/polish yours to make them clear again.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
The Daytime Running Lights can be coded off via NCS Expert, BMW Scanner, or equivalent. Adding an Intravee-II will give you an iPod interface as well as the ability to use the Angel Eye as DRLs with no wiring mods. The other option is to re-wire the AEs with a stand-alone relay and then disable the cold/warm check of the AE bulbs. This makes them function just like an aftermarket set of halos.

You can also buy a Halogen bulb for the inside lights that will closely match the Xenon color. However, my understanding is that these bulbs have dramatically reduced light output as compared to the ones you have now, thus reducing the effectiveness of your high beams.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure what you meant by "later models that have nice bright angel eyes for daytime running lights"
Later models as in beyond E39; the current model set.

I was looking on Real OEM for the lens part, but I could not find just the lens; only the whole headlight part.... Any help sourcing that would be great.

I was looking at the intravee. seems like my best option if I can find one.

·
Registered
658 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
I went to the local detailing shop and paid $60 to get mine restored. The shop I used in Northern VA is Three C (CCC). I don't if something similar exist in your area. Buying an Intravee and making Angel eyes the DRLs is good solution. I personally don't like LEDs but you can just replace the bulb with LEDs to get the same effect as the newer model.

·
Registered
554 Posts
The Daytime Running Lights can be coded off via NCS Expert, BMW Scanner, or equivalent. Adding an Intravee-II will give you an iPod interface as well as the ability to use the Angel Eye as DRLs with no wiring mods.
I thought nobody had figured out how to code them in as DRLs and that the Intravee was the only option besides just using a wiring harness.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I thought nobody had figured out how to code them in as DRLs and that the Intravee was the only option besides just using a wiring harness.
I believe that's correct - the standard DRLs (the Halogen center lights) can be coded off with the appropriate software.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Look into a Lightwerkz retrofit. The owner is a fellow M5Boarder, Caesar. From what I hear, they're great products.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts