BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I found out that the reason my gas gauge and odometer are dead is because the cluster is bad. :( so now I don't know if it's worth buying a new cluster for 700 dollars or just buy a used one and deal with the dog light being thrown for manipulation.

I may try and sell this car in 3 years and I NEED to see the gas gauge. I don't know just how much trouble I would have selling this car with the gauge manipulation light on. I've been searching all day and don't know what would be my best decision. I really can't afford to replace a 700 dollar cluster right now. There are places that repair the pixel ribbon I know, but I don't see a place that will repair the cluster itself.

·
Registered
805 Posts
buy and install a used cluster, find someone with software to reprogram it to your VIN/mileage/specs, pass go, collect $200?

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
buy and install a used cluster, find someone with software to reprogram it to your VIN/mileage/specs, pass go, collect $200?
I was told that ONLY if my cluster had the chip in it could the chip be replaced and reprogrammed? Make any sense? because he said anyone could reprogram the cluster to any millage but as soon as you throw it in the other 3 sensors in the ECU, light switch and somewhere else would still throw the code??

UHG! wish they weren't out of stock!.....
Schmiedmann - Instrument cluster uncoded complete exchange (must be prepaid)

·
Registered
176 Posts
If you find the right guys they'll desolder the ID chip from your cluster and toss it in another, and your car will never know. But it's not a real easy DIY job unless you're a veteran solder jockey.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts