BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never driven in automatic mode. I have heard bad stories so I have yet to use it. what about any one else? I also wonder if it causes more wear on the clutch if you use the s6 in m mode over like s4 in mode.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
Auto mode is a big negative. S6 does wear the clutch faster than the S4.
Are you sure about this?

The biggest factor in clutch wear/life is the slipping, rubbing, and abrasion that occurs during engagement of the clutch. That's why the driver is supposed to get the clutch engaged as quickly (and comfortably!) as possible. The warning about not riding a manual clutch or inching through a line of traffic is based upon this.

Auto mode would be a negative for the same reason - all components slip longer and more gradually.

Everything I know and everyone I've talked to indicates that the faster the engagement the better for clutch life. Obviously there's a point where simply dropping the clutch is not good - but the problems stemming from that are different than simple wear and erosion of the clutch material itself.

S6 doesn't get near that point. So I'd say - along with shop personnel I've spoken with at BMW, Lamborghini, independents - that the higher/faster clutch settings are better overall.

Just drive the 5. At worst you'll lose a couple thousand miles, but you'll be a lot happier!!
:grinyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,482 Posts
Well..... with a 102,000 miles on mine, clutch replaced at 92k I can say around 70% of my driving was done in D2, the other 30% would have been nasty viscous driving, DSC off, P500s, S6,

I've heard almost every person say that the car is not driveable in D2 mode, I'm not sure if I have some sort of different or lucky transmission but it's totally fine for me, albeit most of my driving is motorway driving.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
195 Posts
Well..... with a 102,000 miles on mine, clutch replaced at 92k I can say around 70% of my driving was done in D2, the other 30% would have been nasty viscous driving, DSC off, P500s, S6,

I've heard almost every person say that the car is not driveable in D2 mode, I'm not sure if I have some sort of different or lucky transmission but it's totally fine for me, albeit most of my driving is motorway driving.
I drive my car 75% of the time in D2 also. Absolutely flawless.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
186 Posts
I don't like auto mode at all so I pretty much never use it. If you're just cruising on the highway it isn't changing gears so it makes no difference what mode it is in, but even in light traffic the auto mode is annoying, IMO. I do most of my driving in S3 and then the M button is set to MDM, S5 and P500S of course. I mostly stay in S3 because that is what the car defaults to when you start it up. If there is a way to change that I would probably put it in S4 or 5.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,211 Posts
S6 offers the least amount of wear on the clutch, but the most amount of wear on the SMG pump.

S1 offers the least amount of wear on the SMG pump, but the most amount of wear on the clutch.

I find S3 a nice balance between the two :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
90 Posts
normally P500, DSC=Normal, shift speed = whatever i feel like (6 speed). I've noticed that the added throttle response of the P500S really screws up my shifting so I never use it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,593 Posts
S6 DSC off 99% of the time. I start the car and immediately drive in D1 until it's warmed for about 7 miles then the M button is pressed. I do this to warm everything up equally and to make sure I don't over-rev on the start.

S6 will wear your clutch less because less slippage like someone above mentioned.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
141 Posts
I always hit the power button when the car turns on and then turn the shifter up to s5. That is as fast as it will let me shift without turning off the traction control which is an expensive thing to turn off! When I have other people in the car with me I tend to put it down to d2 and drive it like its not mine with the intention of giving people the aura of me not being insane. I rather like that actually because s5 and d2 after I turn the car on is just a simple hit of the gear selector to the right and it goes from being a toddly mushy car to a hard core screamer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
if you are in M-modt and p200s and s5 or s6 if you shift under like 5500 rpms it seems to give you a "bang" if you will in the rear diff. How comes?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
153 Posts
A happy medium of S3 P400 most of the time for me. S1 is too wooly in my opinion and S5 too sharp for regular town driving. I keep the suspension in comfort 99% of the time (horrific pot holes here in the UK) and drive very gently considering the limits of the car. The relaxed response from the car in P400 induces a generally relaxed driving experience and i rarely feel the need to go to P500 or P500S with S5 or S6. Maybe its the whole Tourer 'cruise' experience that brings this on.

However, the M button is set up for S5, Dynamic on, P500s with all the trimmings. When your in the zone (once in awhile) you forget your in a Tourer and you feel your in some piece of Italian exotica. Its an amazingly diverse car. I cant think of anything more adaptable.

The difference ive noticed with the above responses (and in other threads) is that US drivers tend to drive more often than not in P500S or at least P500 with S5 or S6 engaged. The Euro guys lean toward P400 or P500 with S2 or S3 engaged. I can only put this down to the sheer amount of smooth open road and distance bvetween cities in the US compared to the cramped and crowded 'dirt tracks' we have over here. Having driven loads over in the US i think i too would be spanking the arse off it in P500S given your superior road quality and vast amounts of space. Most of my time here (probably just like 99% of Brits) is spent on 30mph or 40mph roads stuck behind old folks doing 20mph or 30mph leaving little or no room for overtaking and generally making a meal of things. The odd time we do get on the motorways (freeways) we are usually stuck in traffic / slowed by road works / hounded by police or tax cameras. On the odd occasion you can reach the speed limit you are then restricted by other road users lack of lane discipline (although this doesnt exist in the US) and general bad manners.

I sometimes wonder why we buy these types of cars over here as we rarerly get a chance to enjoy them to thier full capacity. But there are those rare, beautiful moments where you find a piece of road so smooth and clear that you forget all of the above and can just have a great drive. Although to be fair, most of those moments only exist over the borders in either Scotland or Wales. That asside, the M5 is a great place to be and i, like many of you like just sitting in the drivers seat enjoying the leather clad surroundings.

Eddie
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
550 Posts
The first thing I do after starting the car is hit the M button. :flag:

P500S, MDM, DSC,, EDC fully firm, S5. I drive in this mode 99% of the time when I'm not racing someone the other 1% of the time, then DSC comes off and crank it up to S6.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,593 Posts
hey everyone keeps saying that Auto mode is bad to drive in. I sometimes drive in auto why is it bad?
Because if you like to drive in D mode then you should be driving a Mercedes AMG instead of an M5/6 hiha:jump:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,170 Posts
Depends on what I'm doing with the car. General in-town driving in D2 with DSC off, I can't stand the traction control. Even in D2, its too much car already and I can zip through traffic and nobody can touch me. I do the ocassional S2/S3 if I'm feeling lucky, still DSC off. For canyon runs, M mode for sure, full stiff and at S6. People might think I'm an old man driving on D2 most of the time, but with all the mods I have on the car, D2 is way plenty good. There's just no room in-town to use anything else.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top