BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Just wanted your opinions/views on radar detectors, how they work, "life-saving" stories, etc...

What do you think is the best Radar Detector, and has anyone come across the PNI Traveller Sensoro.. My friend has it and he said it was the cheapest but best one he's ever used and hes had many (confiscated here in Canada)!!

[Here's what I've read:
The Sensoro Traveller radar detector from PNI provides incredible performance. We simply cannot say enough good things about this detector. Tests have shown that the Traveller is simply one of the best performing radar detectors on the market today. In almost all tests, the Traveller performs almost as good as if not better than other radar detectors that sell for twice as much. Check out the results of this independent test by Speed Measurement Labs. It is amazing to find that kind of performance for such a reasonable price.

In addition to its performance, the PNI Sensoro Traveller also has some unique features. It (along with the Traveller II) is the only radar detector that we offer that can operate with a power cord, or cordless with batteries! The Traveller can operate for approximately 50 hours on two AA batteries. If you are interested in voice alerts, the PNI Traveller II has all of the features of the Traveller, but includes English and Spanish voice alerts.

The PNI Sensoro Traveller responds to all types of radar currently in use by police, and provides 360 degree detection of all types of laser guns laser. The PNI Sensoro Traveller is immune to the VG-2 "radar detector-detector".

Price: $139.99]

·
Registered
829 Posts
Stinger DSI
http://www.stinger.nl/index.php?sec=index&lang=en

I have the elite edition installed in my E500 and it's proven to be worth every penny. Radar detectors are illegal over here but that doesn't mater because technicaly this thing isn't a radar detector, it's a spectrum analyser. It comes with a computer which uses the spectrum analyser to display allkinds of "usefull" information about your surrounding, including the presence of a radar frequency.

It comes with special software which also alarms you to the presence of a frequency but get this, if a cop pulls you over then you can delete this software at the push of a button.

Because it doesn't opperate like a convential radar detector it's also undetectable by any RDD's (Radar Detector Detector, so a device which detects a radar detector).

It's loaded with a bunch of handy dandy features. The nicest of which is the track control indicator. Over here the police has a system called "traject controle", basicly they're camera's mounted above the road which take a picture of your licenceplate once you pass under it.

A few kilometers ahead there's a same setup. A computer recognizes your licenceplate and measure the time you took to get from point A to point B. It then uses this time to calculate your average speed over the course.

What the track control indicator does is once you pass under one of these camera's, show you your average speed up untill that momment and also show you how fast you can drive to correct your average speed before you reach the second camera.

Another nice feature aswell is police check. There's a database in the device which track of every police radar you've passed, what your speed was at that momment and what frequency the police radar was operating. So if the police equipment is defective or isn't operating within the set frequencies then you can use that as proof.

I can go on for hours about all the nice little features this thing has but trust me it's very handy and I haven't had a momment of regret ever since I bought it.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Having visited the stinger website. I must say that it looks very impressive indeed. I think that they also do a gps position based radar detector for use in the uk. Looks worthy of adding to my M6 arriving 20 Oct

·
Registered
829 Posts
Webby said:
Having visited the stinger website. I must say that it looks very impressive indeed. I think that they also do a gps position based radar detector for use in the uk. Looks worthy of adding to my M6 arriving 20 Oct
Yes it has a GPS based spotlist. You can download updated spotlists free of charge and easily upload them to your head unit from your PC. But that doesn't matter cause you can build your own spotlist and blacklist as you are driving along.

It uses the GPS system to measure your current speed and if you're driving under the speedlimit then it doesn't sound the alarm. One feature which would put this system over the top is if it had a buildt in map of some sort which exactly tells it what the speedlimit is on the road you are driving. Currently you can only set 2 limits for the speedsense feature.

Journey Registration is also a nice feature which keeps track of how much you've driven on one given route. This is very handy if you have to drive for your boss and use your own car. This way you can keep an exact track of the km's or miles you made in your bosses time.

·
Registered
829 Posts
m5-black said:
The Stinger looks interesting - Frylord can you give us some info, is it reliable easy to use, installation etc

Okay so here it goes.

Installation:
Mounting the individual components in the enginebay and around the car is very easy todo. You can choose to mount the units with screws or with tie-wraps, all the units have special mounting points for use with tie-wraps, extra long and thick tie-wraps are provided with the units.

The manual has very clear and straigth forward installation instructions, even then you don't need the manual because all the connectors speak for themselves.

The provided cables are long and industrial grade, the connectors are also of good quality and didn't feel like they would let go unless you pull it out yourself.

The only problem is mounting the headunit in the cockpit. It's impossible to mount the headunit without drilling holes or using somekind of metal bracket. This ruines the look of the cockpit.

Range and reliability:
I can say from my own experience and from tests published in the media that this device will outperform any other device out there. Sometimes the range is 3 times that of a regular device and it's right each and everytime. It never misses.

According to AutoVisie the DSI is able to make reliable detections at ranges of upto 1,2km (745 miles) and if weather and road conditions are right this number can go upto 2km (1243 miles).

Even if radar detectors are illegal in your country it doesn't matter. This thing is technicaly not a radar detector. It is useable as a radar detector but by definition it is not. You can upload software to the headunit which sounds an alarm if you're in range of a police radar but you can also delete that software without a trace at a push of a button.

So legaly they can't do anything about you using this device and also they can't prove you had the radar detector software loaded in the system once it's erased.

Even if they pull you over, the headunit doesn't look like a radar detector so most of the time the police office won't have a clue. Just press the mute or disable button and you're all set.

Another big plus over other fixed radar detectors I've owned is the antena. Other detectors had a specific position they had to be mounted in to get optimal detection, which ruined to front look of the car as it was visible from the outside. The patch antena of the DSI would benefit if it was mounted out in the open but it's not required, also there is no specific position the antena has to be mounted in this increases possible locations for concealed mounting.

Use:
It needs a little touch up when it comes to userfriendlyness. If the screen would've been a tad bigger and clearer it would've been perfect. Also in this modern day of color LCD screens the B/W screen seems a bit outdated. But the B/W screen does provide good visibility under heavy light conditions.

Sometimes you have to look very very carefully at the screen to find out what button does what. The meaning of each button changes per menu and application and sometimes you can't really make out what's what because of the screensize. The meaning of buttons are displayed with logos or abriviations which aren't always as clear.

For the rest it's everything I said above. It comes loaded with features which are very nice, you get free updates of both the software and the spotlist. Haven't had a momment regret.

There are just a few things that need improving.
* The screen is B/W, but does provide good visibilty under heavy light
* The SpeedSense feature should be bound to a map which automaticaly tells it what the speedlimit is on the road you are driving on. Currently you can only set 2 limits.
* You can't upload your own MP3 sounds to the device. It would've been nice if you could replace the stock voice and sounds with your own.
* Lack of laserdetector and shield even 2 years after a promise it would be available soon.

The inclusion of a laser detector/jammer would've been nice but I also have a LaserTrack LT400. Laser detectors/jammers are also illegale in NL but that doesn't matter because the LaserTrack is not a laser detector/jammer. LaserTrack is a garagedoor opener which just happens to operate with a laser on the 904nm band, same band used by police laserguns. So what this thing does is constantly emmit a shield of electro smog around your car which disrupts the laser signal of the police gun.

·
Registered
766 Posts
V1 :) with Stealth One(shame it's not available for the E60 yet) :crying:

·
Registered
321 Posts
frylord said:
I have the elite edition installed in my E500...
Any chance of a quick photo to see how it looks in the cabin? There's not a lot of photos on their website. Thanks.

·
Registered
829 Posts
sydl said:
Any chance of a quick photo to see how it looks in the cabin? There's not a lot of photos on their website. Thanks.
I'll do you one better. This is how it looks like installed in a E39 5 series.

Mine is installed in the same maner but a bit lower. The headunit is installed using those metal brackets which they also use to install cellphone holders and such. I'll take some pictures later on. The thing is that from the drivers point of view everything looks nice and clean but from the passengers point of view you can see the behind of the unit which means you can see screws and cables. Not a mayor issues but it does ruine the look.

Here's a picture of all the individual components and cables.

And here's an article by Radar Roy on the Stinger DSI vs. Spectre RDD
http://www.radarbusters.com/support/flitsservice/stinger.asp

And here's a video from Radar Roy on the Stinger DSI vs. Spectre RDD
http://www.fortuynlijk.com/FS_Spectre_demonstration.wmv

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have just spoken for a long time to Stinger in NL. I phoned the UK number and got diverted to NL. The UK office seems to be closed.
The UK database is not yet in existance which is a pain because we have a lot of undetectable cameras like Specs & Truvelo.
The Laser detector is also unavailable as yet.
They say that they are so busy keeping up with orders that they have no time to finish it.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Gustav said:
lidatek.com will answer. www.lidatek.com. Give them my regards. BTW the Lidatek unit is "field tested" 10+ times of members of the m5board.com.
I also had a lidatek on one of my previous cars. The problem with the lidatek is 2 things.

* There's no way to increase the 5 second jamming period, sometimes I had the feeling it was too short.
* It's illegale over here now because it's an active jammer.

It's also illegale in some states and countries around the world. If that is so in your country or state then the Lasertrack LT400 is your best bet. Apart from that it's really a wonderfull device.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
About this Discussion
60 Replies
22 Participants
frylord
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing