BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I only have about 400 miles on mine (had it less than a week.)

My biggest problem is keeping my foot out of the throttle to respect the break-in period! This car is SO much fun to drive - and already faster than when it was new.

There have been ZERO defects - unless you count one of the cupholders that springs out only about 90% of the way until you give it a little help. I'll have 'em fix that at the 1st service.

If you can get one, go for it, you'll love it.

/Greg

·
Registered
65 Posts
Originally posted by GERI:
Hello

I'm close to a deal to buy an 1999 BMW E39 M5. What I was wondering, are there any common or know problems with the new M5 that you should have a special look on or has
anyone had any bad experice so far?

Not a long time ago I was in the Zurich City
and met a new very nice M5 who had a very bad technical problem, out of the 4 pipes ther was comming black and white smoke. As you could imagine I got a bit afraid when I saw that, since I got with my 1993 3.8L M5 no problem until today.

Looking forward for your updates.

Regards

Geri

I have had a lot of fun with my M5 it is better than expected, but the nav system went down after 1000 km! The car feels very solid and handles extremely well

Chraun

------------------

·
Registered
52 Posts
Have mine since May 1999 and have run 32.000km since then. In sum more than a dozend problems, but nothing really big. Most of the w´things were small issues. So if you buy an used one you should look if it's still on garanty. If not, make an inspection at your dealer as soon you get the car to get it completly checked. If you need details on all my problems, contact me directly on my email address.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I am due a car pretty soon so very interested in a summary of the problems found. Holger, I can't find your email address

Nick

·
Registered
911 Posts
I had a problem with my cd changer not recognizing the cds in the magazine. The dealership just replaced it with a brand new unit and solved the problem. Other than that, the car is amazing.

ALX

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello

I'm close to a deal to buy an 1999 BMW E39 M5. What I was wondering, are there any common or know problems with the new M5 that you should have a special look on or has
anyone had any bad experice so far?

Not a long time ago I was in the Zurich City
and met a new very nice M5 who had a very bad technical problem, out of the 4 pipes ther was comming black and white smoke. As you could imagine I got a bit afraid when I saw that, since I got with my 1993 3.8L M5 no problem until today.

Looking forward for your updates.

Regards

Geri

·
Banned
15 Posts
Ya my nav is on the frenzy....every once in a while when I change my climit control button(pressing both button at the same time)
my nav would just show a few wiggley lines and then reset. hmmmmmmmm dont know what wrong???same goes for the dealer...they are as clueless as me.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Nick, My email address is [email protected] Gustav, is there anything wrong with the system because if I take a look into my profile the email address is shown and also the displaying is enabled, but seems not to work.

But anyway, here're the details I discovered so far with mine and also a couple of friends with M5s:

The general problems:
1. Drinking oil. Even after my M5 has more than 20.000 miles run he needs a quart of oil every 350-1500 miles depending on the driving.
2. Brakes. The brakes are too small with too soft pads. My first brake dies with 15.000 miles on the meter, the second ones already after the next 4000 miles. Now I've Porsche brakes mounted and it's a real speed killer.
3. The bearing in the front wheel hubs. This tiny pieces are also too small dimensioned. I know some M5s where this thing died during the first 4000 miles. The porblem is, that you and the dealer mostly don't hear that because the original brake-shoes aren't fixed and the tubes are rubber made. I don't know anyone who sell stronger ones.
4. Outside temperature display. After you get your oil temperature above 180 degree fahrenheit the display is wrong because of the heat the engine radiate. I've had three foot of snow beside the road and was driving a little bit sporty when it shows my +68 degree fahrenheit outside. BMW can't fix it.
5. Too small fueltank. No explanation needed here and found nobody who can help out.

Already fixed problems:
6. Titanium come off the gearknob (sometimes it also happens on the hand brake lever).
7. Sidemirrors died at first frost. Cars from the first production year have leaky sidemirror glasses. There the humidity going in and at the first frosty night the mirrors brake in pieces. Took BMW a long time to get new ones for mine.

In addition there were seven small things were BMW notified me and the dealer fixed it. This were things like changing some system parameters in the motronic and and the mounting of the rear spoiler between the exhausts.

Last but not least I got two heavy individual problems with my car:
1. After 4000 miles my cardan died completely and I was 500 miles from home....
2. One time I gave my car to the dealer to make the inspection I saw one of the mechanics trying to drive it into the hall and ended backwards on a big steal pillar and the whole back of my car was completely deformed! Could you imaging my feelings in this moment?

So should be enough for today. After all this demotivating items don't be sad, I love the car still and it's a lot of fun.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I heard that there is a default in computer system and that is why the CHECK ENGINE LIGHT comes on so much..........thats very fixable......they have to reprogram the computer in the car................
ALso, i heard of a few clutches blowing after like 2-4K miles........supposedly the clutches are defective...........teh dealer suggested that that may be the reason for the gear 1-2 "hopping" phenomenon......? ANY ideas?

·
Registered
3 Posts
On the way to my 1200 mile checkup, the check engine light went on... "Wow, its telling me I need to get my 1200 checkup done" thought I... NOPE. The computer was on the fritz and I needed to leave my car at the dealer for several days while it awaited a new chip. Other than that, no problems....

·
Banned
145 Posts
My drivers mirror takes about a second longer to rotate up, my cd changer did not work one time saying it could not find any cd's, after i turned her off then back on the cd player worked fine, otherwise the same problem with oil, I think it's using less oil these days.

GREAT CAR

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Currently have about 2200 miles on my new 5. Had two defective tire messages since delivery. One on the way home from dealer, second the next day. Apparently dealer did not perform tire calibration during prep. While the tank is as big as my 99 E39 I always do a double take at the gas gage and miles driven with the M5.

I think the window frame in the driver's door may be loose as it rattles if I close the door with the window down. :confused2

Other than that I am happy.
I drove my last BMW 45000 miles with very little problems, most of them not the car's fault. I am anticipating the same from this one.
Ken:p

·
Registered
158 Posts
Interesting comments. With my 2003, no oil consumption for first 1500 miles, mileage ranges from 16 (all twisties, no highway) to 21 (steady state 85-90 on highway accounting for atleast 60% of tank). No computer glitches, except I can't alwasy cancel a trip.

Awesome, though often overused, is appropriate.

·
Registered
152 Posts
3 things for me:

Occasionaly the radio will cut off 30 seconds after startup. when I turn it back on it will continue to cutoff after 30 seconds. Turning the car off and restarting cures this, but it is inconvenient if I have already hit the hwy. This is not an uncommon problem, and while I will ask the dealer about it at 7500k service, I doubt they will be able to replicate it or fix it.

When you put the car in reverse the mirrors automatically tilt down to see the curb. Mine will not automatically tilt back up. I plan to reread the owners manual, as this may be covered in there and I might be missing a step.

My universal garage door opener will not recognize my garage door. I have followed the instructions and tried numerous times to no avail. I plan to go by the garage door service co to see what I can do.

Other than those minor items it is quite a ride. 1/2qt of oil at 1500miles. None since and at 4000 now.

·
Registered
352 Posts
only problem I have is with the M Audio system. the 'updated' 2003 M Audio does not have the correct software from what I am told. Sometimes the sound, when listening to the radio only, cuts off on the back speakers and goes to the front. They tell me it is a software problem with the speed dependent sound control, which I have at minimum control.

1100 miles, 0 oil consumption, engine&handling so solid!!

:cheers:

·
Registered
23 Posts
1) Drivers side mirror did not rotate up
2) Tyre control defect
3) Cyclinder damage at 50miles on the clock
4) Condensation under the xenon beams - nasty re-occuring
problem with BMW cars. Anyone else had this. ? I got
my local garage to order me a new set.

All fixed under warranty

Regarding point 3, when I started the car from cold the whole
car would vibrate - not good. Once the engine warmed up it
was OK. Cost about £2000 but covered under warranty.

I got my M3 Convertible delivered last Saturday. Once the engine
and exhaust system warmed up there was smoke all over the place. Looked underneath and luckily it was just the greece applied to the underneath of the car drying up :)

M5 parked up at my mates house for a couple of months under raps until our new garage gets built....hopefully I won't have any problems with the M3....but lets see.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My problems that are fixed where..

1) driver mirror didn't fold away. I had to help it sometime.
2) The ABS (don't know the english word for it so hope you guys understand) made a strange noise. The bolt of it had come loose.
they fixed this problem.
3) Engine problem light burnt 2 times. The hooked him on the computer and readed it out and there were no problems acording to my dealer.
4) The radio controls on the steering wheels, didn't funtion wright. When I turned down the volume, he played the next track or radio station. And it had a strange sound in it when you turned the wheels.
5) Oil filling Cap didn't seal off well. They said that I didn't put it on correctly.. But got a new cap and it's gone, so how's fault is it..
6) First 25000Km I had a lot of oil consumpsion too.. about 1 liter on 1500Km. But it's becoming less now.

My new problem that happend this week..

The Engine control light burned ones more. So I pulled over and stopped the car. After a minute or two I restarted the car. And hit the gas padel without driving.. I putted it in gear and of I go.. No more problem. Strangly. But..:mad: The next day when I started the car it made the same noise as it did with the ABS problem. So I called my dealer. He told me to come wright over. I went there and after waiting for 3 (THREE!!) hours. grrrrrrr They finally found out that the pump of the ABS was broken, becuase the last time they fixed the oil nut that came loose. They putted to much force on it. And there was dripping oil from it. They could not fix this ABS pump so they ordered a new one..

Hope they solve this too.. P.S. it's all in waranty so it doesn't cost me a Euro..:cheers: Great thing I bought an extra year of waranty with my car..
:typing:

·
Registered
842 Posts
You might want to run a search on SES or Service Engine Soon. You'll find that a few of us have had extensive problems.

Having said that I want to add: I still love this car. Whenever I get behind the wheel the memory of any problem is erased.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Only one problem

The only problem so far (650 miles) is getting into second gear until the trans warms up ( about 10 min.) Double clutching doesn't help. I have not yet tried to speed shift.

Also how do I conceal the wire from my V1. Can you remove the cover from the A column?

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Greg,

Congrats on the new Beast. What color and options did you get? How was the trade in ?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts