BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always used Castrol 10w60 for msport since owning the car (8years) except an emergency top up of Mobil 1 synthetic blend as my low oil light came on and that all the station had that was 10w60 and I was doing an oil change the week after.

Anyway except that small blip always castrol. Now my local parts place has switched to stocking petronas 10w60 and Mobil 1 10w60 motorsport formula instead of castrol ( both fully synthetic). I needed a topup so reluctantly bought the Mobil 1... anyone had any experience of this? Or would you switch back to castrol ASAP? My indy said he’s not used Mobil 1 for a longtime as it used to varnish the engine with additives (or something like that) hoping the motorsport formula doesn’t do that!
It has these properties:
ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4
API SN/SM
API CF

what do you guys reckon?

·
Registered
224 Posts
I’m still running the Castrol specified if my M6...no problems yet at 78,000 on the clock so I’ll probably stick with it. I do run Valvoline on my other BMW’s and other cars, but they don’t make the right weight oil for the M.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Liqui Moly Racetech GT-1 10w60

·
Registered
69 Posts
Liquimoly gt1 10w60
Or the Motul 8100 10w60

I did use the Castrol earlier.

I believe the new bmw branded ‘twin power turbo’ 10w60 is a Mobil oil rebranded by bmw. I’m sure the mobil is ok.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Motul 7100 4T 10w60 For the last 130,000 miles

·
1,652 Posts
I can't believe there's so many people that still use 10w60. Well, I guess you're doing your part keeping rod bearing vendors in business!
Not true. Before repeating what you've heard somewhere you may want to read a bit more about tws. I'ts been posted here and more recently on the FB s65/s85 page.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I can't believe there's so many people that still use 10w60. Well, I guess you're doing your part keeping rod bearing vendors in business!
Not true. Before repeating what you've heard somewhere you may want to read a bit more about tws. I'ts been posted here and more recently on the FB s65/s85 page.
What I know is that the most prolific S85 builders in the country (world?) don't use it. That's enough for me.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts