BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Moderator Emeritus
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:D

Here is the first solid evidence that BMW has given the green light to what will potentially be the fastest estate car on the planet. That distinctive nose and those M5 alloys would have raised our suspicions, but it is the menacing quad exhaust pipes that mark this BMW Touring out as an ‘M-car’, the ultimate in performance BMWs. It’s a welcome but hardly surprising development, as BMW would have been unlikely to sit still whilst Audi and Mercedes Benz dominated the super-estate market with their 444bhp RS6 Quattro Avant and 476bhp E55 AMG estate. As towering as those V8 powerhouses are, BMW brings no less than 507bhp to the game, courtesy of the sensational V10 powerplant that already resides under the bonnet of the M5 saloon, a car that goes on sale here in a couple of month’s time.

A BMW GB spokesman has told 4Car that no decision has been taken on production of an M5 Touring, but coyly added that if such a car were to go into left-hand drive production “we would be asking for a right-hand drive version. After all, more Touring M5s of the previous generation have been sold overall than saloon versions.” There has never been a right-hand drive version of the M5 Touring, but BMW “would love to have one for the UK.” 4Car believes there’d be a long list of willing customers who’d be as intrigued as we are at the notion of an estate capable of carrying a family (with dog) at up to 205mph (without electronic restriction). Inspired. Mad, but inspired..

http://www.channel4.com/4car/gallery/spy-shots/index.html

·
Registered
158 Posts
I´m all for an M5 estate, and hope the rumors are based on more than just speculation, but those pics looks nicely photoshoped..

The fender above the left exhausts looks particularily interesting and the melted snow above the rights exhausts looks pixelated too..

Still holding my thumbs though and cant see how they´ll let E55:s and RS6:s play around in this arena all by themselves.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
It would be great if there was going to be an M5 Touring, but I'm having my doubts. Those pictures are a bit suspicious.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Why would they run a mule with 545i suspension, wheels and tyres? It looks more like a standard car with a body kit and 4 pipe exhaust. What is the point of testing on standard running gear?

I'll be more convinced when I see a spy pic with more M in it.

Anyway, for my money, the E55 Wagon concept is better than an M5 Wagon. The E55 isn't a handler anyway, so adding extra weight at the rear matters less. And with the huge torque the E55 has, the extra lard over the rear axle probably helps traction. An M5 wagon can't drive as well as the sedan, so I'm not interested. Who needs a hard-riding, high revving family wagon anyway?

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
The second pic definately looks worked on.. the right lower section of the bumper looks to go lower than the left (even accounting for the ice). Not to mention the wheels and tires. The top pic is of a sport M package... notice the lower half of the bumper is different then the M5.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Wouldn't be the world's fastest estate car, anyway... not when there's the B5 out there.

The DMS-chipped 535d probably makes a pretty tasty E61, too...

BTW, totally off topic, but I took my racing licence test today at Rockingham (UK) in an E90 330i - cracking little car! Loads of interesting BMWs there (it's where they do the "experience" days - bunch of M3CSLs, but no M5s yet...

·
Moderator Emeritus
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hythe said:
Wouldn't be the world's fastest estate car, anyway... not when there's the B5 out there.

The DMS-chipped 535d probably makes a pretty tasty E61, too...

BTW, totally off topic, but I took my racing licence test today at Rockingham (UK) in an E90 330i - cracking little car! Loads of interesting BMWs there (it's where they do the "experience" days - bunch of M3CSLs, but no M5s yet...
Congrats ! :cheers:

Looks like you are getting ready for the B5 :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
A trustworthy source wrote in another forum, that there will be indeed a M5 Touring.

I'm looking forward to seeing such a nice car.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I don't believe thats a M5 touring, look at the side mirrors...

**Edit**: There is no "M5 vent" on the side either just above the front wheels...

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
MortenDK said:
I don't believe thats a M5 touring, look at the side mirrors...

**Edit**: There is no "M5 vent" on the side either just above the front wheels...
It's a test car so don't expect all the bells & whistles at this stage.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Ashok Arora said:
Well, I still don't believe its a M5 touring, what indicates that it is besides the spoilers and 4 exaust pipes? You can order the spoilers in the M sportpackage with any E60, and custom made exaust pipes shouln't be that hard to make either.

*EDIT*: And the wheels are not very wide... I don't believe you would test 507 bhp on such narrow wheels..

·
Registered
131 Posts
If its an E60 M5 Estate or an Audi RS6+ Estate, i'll take the BM, anyday.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Ashok Arora said:
True, but when they were this far along, the test cars had the side vents, they were just covered up. I think the narrow tires are a big sign here that this might just be a regular car. Then again.. winter wheels and tires anyone?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts