Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Choices...

A Dutch BMW fan here, in his 40ies but decided that I am too young for my current e39 B10 V8.

I found two e39 M5s that I like:

A '99 Anthrazit grey one and a '01 Le Mans blue one.
The 99er has 98k miles, double glazing, Hifi prof and a all Black interior and the '01 has 142k, Le Mans blue interior and leather dash.

Both cars has the facelift lights and 16:9 satnav.

Outside of both cars look great and on the inside the '01 looks a bit more used and probably had some Kids in the back.

The '99 looks mint. Only had 2 owners and not a lot of repairs.
The '01 had a engine rebuild at 60.000 miles which is years ago but the clutch is recently replaced. It did had a few owners, was a Belgium car, than exported to the UK and has been imported to The Netherlands in 2012.

I am having a hard time choosing the right one for me.

I really like the Le Mans blue color and a true facelift with the better pistons rings.
The mileage and the current state of the interior not so much.

I like the mileage of the '99 car and loved the double glazing in my 540i but it hasn't the uprated engine and leather/alcantara parts of the '01.

What would you do?

'99:

'01:

·
Registered
876 Posts
These questions are always so difficult to answer without a lot more details. Daily driver? Do you plan to/can you DIY? Do you enjoy the process of bringing a car back to greatness? Plan to keep it forever or 3 years? Differences in service histories? Want more attention?(LMB). You don’t need to answer, but these are the questions you should ask yourself.
Without knowing any of that, I’d say get the LMB one, and make it perfect. You’ll love it more.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
These questions are always so difficult to answer without a lot more details. Daily driver? Do you plan to/can you DIY? Do you enjoy the process of bringing a car back to greatness? Plan to keep it forever or 3 years? Differences in service histories? Want more attention?(LMB). You don’t need to answer, but these are the questions you should ask yourself.
Without knowing any of that, I’d say get the LMB one, and make it perfect. You’ll love it more.
Very good point.

I can diy most things. Owned over 50 cars and did most work by myself.
As I have less time and don't like the big jobs anymore, it might the better choice to buy the best car possible.
I enjoy it more to maintain a perfect car than looking everywhere for rare and expensive parts. Had to do that far too long after owning Audi S2s for 20 years.

·
Registered
10,038 Posts
My guess is the 99 owners had more love for the car and took better care. They did some updates and those would have cost way back when. You realize the older motors run freer some of us think they are much better depending on oil consumption, which reflects if the motor was broken in correctly. You might want to ask how much oil it uses and if not much, then it will be the best engine that ever went in the car. The old motor not broken in correctly have the old consumption issue but are still freer running.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Oh man this is easy! Buy the one you like most. You’ll be more motivated to care for it and enjoy it more- so I’d say go with the blue one. (My choice- I’m no fan of the dull grays or silvers). The mileage difference on the engines isn’t enough to be a player if the rebuild was done well. New clutch is nice and timely at 142k. Interiors are in nice shape etc... Any rust issues?

Drop a note in which one you choose and how it goes!

·
Registered
208 Posts
I really like the Le Mans blue color
Personally I think this is your deciding factor right here. Literally EVERYTHING else is far easier to repair/replace/change/etc. Hell I'd replace the whole interior before getting a decent looking M5 resprayed. RUST >> Exterior >> Drivetrain >> Suspension >> Mileage >> Interior >> Model year is my personal order of importance.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
If the lemans has minimal rust, go for it!

Blue/Black AND Full leather interior. That's future money right there.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Get the color combo/options you want, or you'll always be unsatisfied. My 2003 Imola red on Imola red was purchased with 137,000 miles and is now sitting at 159,000. I have absolutely no regrets and is everything I wanted in an e39.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts