BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

I recently acquired a stock CPO E60 2006 M5. Its silverstone with black leather interior. I'd like to start modding it but have no idea where to start. Since its CPO, i have very limited choices when it comes to modification. Thus, I'd like to know what mods you guys will recommend for me which will make my beast fiercer. (eg. RPI scoops)

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Everything in my sig. :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Doesn't Dinan make headers?

·
Company Representative of RPI Power
3,394 Posts
Hi.

I recently acquired a stock CPO E60 2006 M5. Its silverstone with black leather interior. I'd like to start modding it but have no idea where to start. Since its CPO, i have very limited choices when it comes to modification. Thus, I'd like to know what mods you guys will recommend for me which will make my beast fiercer. (eg. RPI scoops)
What exactly are you looking for in terms of making your car fiercer? I think the better you define your goals, the closer you will come to them when picking out your mods.

In terms of power, the RPi intake scoops/filters + blockoff plates is a great way to start, especially taking into account price/performance. IMHO, of course. :)

Exhaust mods can really change the personality of the car. Be sure to choose carefully, as the sound does vary quite a bit between manufacturers. Also, the power output varies from model to model, if that is important to you.

The underdrive pulley, while effective, is one of those mods that you may want to shy away from, considering your car is CPO. If you do decide to go with one, ours is stock colored, and has no logo on front. The performance gain is noticable.

The RPi high efficiency oil cooler also adds to your power (or more accurately, reduces power loss due to heat). We have yet to have any customers run into any problems with warranty work with respect to this mod.

·
Registered
239 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Will modifying the exhaust void the CPO warranty?

·
Registered
14 Posts
[The underdrive pulley, while effective, is one of those mods that you may want to shy away from, considering your car is CPO. If you do decide to go with one, ours is stock colored, and has no logo on front. The performance gain is noticable.

Hi Gabe,

No question about the power gain with a performance pulley but isn't that like "robbing Peter to pay Paul"? I heard you are starving other systems in your car for the purpose of increasing horsepower. So before I explore getting a RPI pulley I need to know the downside if any.

Thanks,

Six.................

·
Company Representative of RPI Power
3,394 Posts
Hi Gabe,

No question about the power gain with a performance pulley but isn't that like "robbing Peter to pay Paul"? I heard you are starving other systems in your car for the purpose of increasing horsepower. So before I explore getting a RPI pulley I need to know the downside if any.

Thanks,

Six.................
Everything done to the car is a study in compromises. There really is no "free lunch". Anyone telling you otherwise is trying too hard to sell you something.

For some things, the compromise is relatively small (the cost of the product & install), for other things, the compromise may be good for some people and not for others (ie. the sound change from an exhaust).

In terms of this specific pulley application, the accessories are under-driven by a relatively small amount, well within safe, conservative limits. More can be squeezed out with a higher ratio pulley, but the tradeoff is not worthwhile, IMHO.

I would say that the main downside is with regards to warranty/service. The pulley is one place dealers are going to want to blame if anything ever goes wrong, regardless of what actually happens. To minimize the chance of this, we made our pulley match the OE color as close as possible, and put the logo on the back side (the side facing the engine when installed, so it's hard to see). Most of our competitors have gone with a very different color (ie. black) and have put their logo on the front facing side, viewable when installed. I guess it comes down to what you're looking for. :)

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
I would really consider placing a supercharger..........you can easily double your horsepower, although it is a bit pricey the BMW part is warranty applicative. be careful it can get out of your hands...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts