BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Post what impresses with you most on the new technology that is coming out from M motorsport.

To start of, I am fascinated by the way the new M3s engine senses detonation. The sparkplugs senses the ions in the combustion chamber and takes action even before detonation occurs:applause:!

Paul

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Well its definitely not the "badge tuning" where every inch is covered with an M sticker. I prefer the older understated cars.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Carbon-fibre - although I think they need to make a proper CSL-RS with all the panels made from carbon-fibre.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I heard BMW F1 had been messing about with electric solenoids to open and shut the valves instead of a camshaft. Whatever cam profile you want, dynamically changing with the engines speed and load. More power and better economy. Best hope the computer doesn't crash though!

Regards

Ivan

Reactions: camlob

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Probably the decision for the US market to junk the
7-speed SMG in the E60 M5 and put a straight stick shift back instead.

Which actually doesn't say an awful lot.ouich

Saw my friends E46 CSL for the first time on Sunday at the goat meet.
It's gorgeous, dripping with carbon fibre and really racy......

But he couldn't pull on me above 100mph in the S38 engined tank.hmmm

After much discussion when we got home we all agreed that lovely though
the CSL is, BMW need to build a proper racer once again.
And no, not an E90 320is with "Oooh magnesium & Carbon" valve covers
making 170ps....

That having been said the 135i is a cracking car albeit not an //M car.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Alan - you suprise me with being able to hold the CSL at 100 as the speed limit is 70!!!

My ref being that my s38 only just pulls clear of the e36 evo at 100 and the CSL seems oodles faster than the 3.2?

I will have one of the new M3 saloons for a week and will let you know the results as soon as...

I think one of the benefits will be the steering and lack of understeer and hope it has better suspension than the E46 which seems not unlike a pogo stick

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And no, not an E90 320is with "Oooh magnesium & Carbon" valve covers
making 170ps....

That having been said the 135i is a cracking car albeit not an //M car.
Although definitely not an M, the new 2 ltr with 170 hp also impresses me. It used to churn out 150 hp but BMW was able nudge it up thru less drag on the system with an electric water pump, power steering etc.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Alan - you suprise me with being able to hold the CSL at 100 as the speed limit is 70!!!

My ref being that my s38 only just pulls clear of the e36 evo at 100 and the CSL seems oodles faster than the 3.2?

I will have one of the new M3 saloons for a week and will let you know the results as soon as...

I think one of the benefits will be the steering and lack of understeer and hope it has better suspension than the E46 which seems not unlike a pogo stick
KMH my dear Sir !

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
KMH my dear Sir !
Surely the approved velocity measurements should be in leptons, where one lepton bears no relationship to any spefic mph/kph and one kilolepton does not necessarily equal one thousand leptons.

All to confuse any BIB who might be reading :hihi:

You could be travelling at 100,000 picoleptons and were passed by a Sinclair C5 travelling in excess of 1 lepton!

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Although definitely not an M, the new 2 ltr with 170 hp also impresses me. It used to churn out 150 hp but BMW was able nudge it up thru less drag on the system with an electric water pump, power steering etc.

No, quite the reverse....the 320is engine doesn't impress me.
Not when Renault produce 172, 182 & 197ps 2.0 litres which are supremely
tractable...but then BMW knew the 320 would be driven by salesmen spending
the whole day in 5th gear whilst talking on the phone !

My friends E30 320is produces similar power....20years ago.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Surely the approved velocity measurements should be in leptons, where one lepton bears no relationship to any spefic mph/kph and one kilolepton does not necessarily equal one thousand leptons.

All to confuse any BIB who might be reading :hihi:

You could be travelling at 100,000 picoleptons and were passed by a Sinclair C5 travelling in excess of 1 lepton!
I aways quote in leptons, although not for the reason of confusing the BIB.....

No, Really!!:hihi::hihi:

·
Registered
7,933 Posts
Alan

I respect you as you know

But an M3 CSL will definately eat any std S38 at any speed.

As an answer to the initial thread question, I think the new M-diff in the E9- M3 is amazing, but I have to state that the V10 is also the only engine I have ever used that I didn't get used to after a few hours. The power rush is amazing.

Regarding 'old' M-power, I think the CSL (its getting 5 years old now!) is the M-car with the best turn-in I ever drove on special tires, on normal tires nothing beats the E9- M3 when it comes to turn-in. Its almost Elise-ish.

For me, the E60 M5 really put the M back into the line-up, the E46 is amazing but in std form it leaves wanting for power. The CSL however is a complete different animal. I think the difference between an M3 and a CSL is as big as the difference between a 330i and a std M3.

Chassis-wise, I think the E90 chassis is the best BMW chassis ever, and the E60 is impressive aswell and light-weight. E39's have never been that agile ( drove those being new) neither were E34's (although I never drove a 'new' one of those) . Front-end grip has never been as big in a BMW as nowadays.

It would be very nice if BMW would make a proper-CSL, say a lightweight CSL though. Some proper brakes as std, no radio, no A/C , no sound deadening, no folding rear seat (bring your Sportcups in a van!!) and a std weld-in cage. Porsche always made the RS, so why shouldn't BMW make an RSCSL?

Wout

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Wout,

He's gonna throw me the keys next week so I can find out for myself.
We now suspect he's a little scared of flooring the CSL.

This was a high speed run though,
I appreciate any E46 would eat an E34 on a sprint !
0-60 4.8 / 5.4
0-100 11 / 14

Very clear !

Much closer was the higher speed in-gear increments.

Cheers,

Alan.
:cheers:

·
Registered
224 Posts
I shudder to think of what will happen in 10 years when an e90 M5 is $25K with 80K Miles and out of warranty...who could work on these cars at all besides BMW?

Too many electronics governing too many things and too much proprietary software, etc, etc is making all remotely new cars throw away devices IMO.

Sorry to rain on the parade--it is impressive what is coming out of a lot of companies, not least of all BMW, but when the computer packs up in the middle of a trip and you need 4th gear in the SMG, what happens then?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I shudder to think of what will happen in 10 years when an e90 M5 is $25K with 80K Miles and out of warranty...who could work on these cars at all besides BMW?

Too many electronics governing too many things and too much proprietary software, etc, etc is making all remotely new cars throw away devices IMO.

Sorry to rain on the parade--it is impressive what is coming out of a lot of companies, not least of all BMW, but when the computer packs up in the middle of a trip and you need 4th gear in the SMG, what happens then?

+1, I plan on holding onto my e34 for as long as humanly possible..

·
Registered
341 Posts
sebring

BMW I'm afraid will never make a porsche equivalent, they recognise their market place and know that the buyers are just not there.

When you consider the two classic M cars, the E30 M3 Sport Evo and the M3 CSL both were extremely difficult to sell and one could pick up either of these models new upto 2 years after production ceased...

·
Registered
7,933 Posts
Richard

Although you are correct, both the Sport EVO and the CSL are the cars that people are talking about.

To mention a few:

Horst von Saurma :

" Keiner hatte im 90-er Jahren Chance gegen Sport EVOs"

" BMW zeigt das der CSL das erste Auto ist, dessen Fahrdynamik nuer Beschraenkt wird durch die Qualitaet der Fahrers."

Harry Metcalfe:

" (...)Simply the best chassis of the past century (...) the Sport EVO continues to impress (..) "

" The M3 CSL transformed into a different car (....)upon fitment SportCup tires (...) bashing GT3's and all along the way (...) simply the best handling car ever to have emerged from Munich's (...) "

So, although not exactly economically feasable, these cars DO put BMW on the map against Porsche.

As a matter of fact, the M3 CSL outbraked a GT3 on numerous occasions by 3 feet. Not a contender? :hihi:

Let's not forget that VAG has thrown some coins into the Veyron project which doesn't exactly turn a profit and Toyota's Formula One adventure doesn't make young people sleep in front of the dealerships to buy an Auris either.

Wout

1 - 17 of 17 Posts