BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
It really depends what's wrong.

Are the struts shot/ leaking? They are no longer available new, so your looking at sending them to the company in Poland for a rebuild. Which I believe is around 1500 per pair and takes a few months. Mainly due to customs and shipping times.

Most other parts can still be purchased new and are shared with e34 touring models (except struts, these are M5 specific). I think the regulating valve and struts are the only NLA parts as of now.

As far as cost, hard to say, of course it depends on what needs replacing. If its just accumulators, budget $500 +/-. The whole system? 3-4k?

Keeping the SLS is worth it if you ask me. If you don't go this route I'll buy the old struts. I'd send them out to Poland for a rebuild... some day.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. This was for a car I'm considering buying. The SLS has already been converted and I was wondering what it would cost to restore, but that sounds impractical without the original parts. In these conversions, do they typically retain the original springs and just replace the SLS shocks with traditional shocks? I don't know how SLS actually works but am assuming it's some sort of variable hydraulic for the shock.

·
Registered
52 Posts
There is no strut insert for the rear, as it’s a whole unit that bolts to the top mount and then the rear trailing arm. There’s a spring perch on the struts themselves. Go to FCP euro or ECS and look at the rear struts they sell and it’ll be obvious.

Converting it back typically isn’t practical unless the car comes with the all the old parts. But usually they’ve been converted because the SLS failed in some way any how. Even with the parts it depends how it was converted and what’s left on the car. There’s two ways of doing it. Looping the hydraulic lines after the steering box or rebuilding and plugging the SLS ports on the box.

Search SLS delete and you’ll get a better idea of how it’s typically done

·
Registered
31 Posts
It really depends what's wrong.

Are the struts shot/ leaking? They are no longer available new, so your looking at sending them to the company in Poland for a rebuild. Which I believe is around 1500 per pair and takes a few months. Mainly due to customs and shipping times.

Is it that expensive and long from the US?? :eek
Nagengast price is 200 EUR per strut, and lead time is supposed to be 10 to 20 days... Sending mine from Japan now, will have them sent back to France to save on shipping, they will fit nicely in my suitcase back from holidays :grin

·
10,445 Posts
Is it that expensive and long from the US?? :eek
Nagengast price is 200 EUR per strut, and lead time is supposed to be 10 to 20 days... Sending mine from Japan now, will have them sent back to France to save on shipping, they will fit nicely in my suitcase back from holidays :grin
when i did my EDC thru nagengast it was about 2 weeks to ship from the US to Poland, about a week for them to restore them and another 7 days to ship back, so about a month all in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts