BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hear people talk about the Sport button. What does it do? how does it work?

Thanks,

A

·
Registered
216 Posts
I think it does 2 things.
1) Makes your steering wheel heavier (perceiving better road feel)

2) Change the ratio of your gas pedal versus actual gas applied.

When you get the car, try it during acceleration. It does feel somewhat like a turbo booster.

Applying a greater force in steering with the Sports Mode on will achieve the same result when it's off.
While applying a greater force when stepping on your gas when the Sports Mode is off can achieve the same result when it's on.

It's all perception.

Rumors were saying that the Sports Mode has something to do with the suspension system, but I guess it has been disproved by this MB numerous times already.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I don't think the sport button changes the "weight" of the steering wheel, but it does change noticebly the ratio of the gas pedal as BrianC said. But, the Sport mode also holds on to the gears before it changes them. for example, when driving slowly and peacefully in around 2000-2500 RPM the gear would change, in Sport Mode it'll change in 3000-3500 and sometimes even later than that. Then the cars feels stronger and is faster indeed...

·
Registered
13,638 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Originally posted by gmb:
I don't think the sport button changes the "weight" of the steering wheel, but it does change noticebly the ratio of the gas pedal as BrianC said. But, the Sport mode also holds on to the gears before it changes them. for example, when driving slowly and peacefully in around 2000-2500 RPM the gear would change, in Sport Mode it'll change in 3000-3500 and sometimes even later than that. Then the cars feels stronger and is faster indeed...
Gear ? What gear ? The M5 is not available is an automatic. The sport button only affects the steering and throttle. It has nothing to do with the 6 speed transmission on the M5.

------------------

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
But, the Sport mode also holds on to the gears before it changes them. for example, when driving slowly and peacefully in around 2000-2500 RPM the gear would change, in Sport Mode it'll change in 3000-3500 and sometimes even later than that. Then the cars feels stronger and is faster indeed...
????????????????????? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You have an automatic M5!!!!! I was positive they didnt make them
. Maybe its just psycologically makes you hold the gears longer in your 6 spd
. or do you mean you feel the gear ratio different? Even though I am not sure if that would be possible.

fas

·
Registered
765 Posts
guys, give gmb a break,
he is talking about automatic gearbox sport mode generally, not on m5, i guess he has just confused it with sport button on m5.

------------------
SL

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
OK, for all of us who really own the M5, we really know that the "sport" button has only one real purpose, to enlighten those foolish enough around us believing that we are driving just other four door BMW! It should be renamed the kick in the pants button.

Allright, I know. It only causes the accellerator to react much more accutely. Such a boring answer to such a fun button.

Mark

·
Registered
101 Posts
When you push the sport button you suddenly find yourself smoking a cigar, wearing polyester golf clothes, and shopping for gold chains.

Steve

·
Registered
136 Posts
Originally posted by MAH:
OK, for all of us who really own the M5, we really know that the "sport" button has only one real purpose, to enlighten those foolish enough around us believing that we are driving just other four door BMW! It should be renamed the kick in the pants button.

Allright, I know. It only causes the accellerator to react much more accutely. Such a boring answer to such a fun button.

Mark
LOL

I'm not a M5 owner (not yet, but soon). As i had the luck to made a Testdrive in that awesome beast, i took an route through 3 mountain passes (for our europeans: Susten, Furka and Grimsel - about 650km / 406mi), in which i had the change to use the 'sport button'.
I agree with BrianC that the button makes the steering wheel heavier and there is a increase of power (i heard about 10%) on same pedal position.
And i agree also with MAH that this button makes much FUN!

------------------
Dany

'01 M5 - lemans blue (build week 43 - Status 112)
'97 M3 - cosmos black

·
Registered
33 Posts
Originally posted by KnightRider:
guys, give gmb a break,
he is talking about automatic gearbox sport mode generally, not on m5, i guess he has just confused it with sport button on m5.

Well, I have neither M5 nor a 5 series BMW, i've got a 1998 316i.. with automatic gear box, and I thought the guy asked about the Sport mode in the automatic gear box, I didn't even know there is a Sport mode in the M5... Gee, I've never even see in real life a M5...
sorry for the confusion...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts