BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
dcaron9999 said:
The passenger side cabin filter unit does not require any tools to remove. and sits on top of the e-box. The driver side cabin filter unit sits on top of the brake master cylinder, and is remove as easily.

It is a 15 minute job, once you know you way around. It is 1-2 hours on your first attempt, with very basic tools. I suggest you attempt it yourself. A bit of patience is all that is needed. Your fan might not need to be replaced like mine was. The fan unit is pretty expensive on realoem.com. I don't know why because it is rather small, simple, and made out of plastic.
Well .. my repair attempt did not last too long. The 8F code is back. The fan motor is either draining more current than it should due to wear, then triggering off an alarm. My fealing is the fan still works, since I tested it on a 12 volt source. I inquired about a replacement unit at my friendly stealership, and they want $160Can including BMW Quebec member discount. I think I will attempt to pull the fan apart, and see if anything is serviceable in there. :crying:

·
Registered
784 Posts
sunny///M5 said:
Hi,

sorry for late answering - I oversaw your qestion.

I took out the E-box fan and recognized, that the fan works properly!

The fan always gets +12V when ignition is on and is switched by the ground cable (brown/green if I remember correct, but I´ve pics on my private pc at home).

I connected the fan to ground (brown) so the fan works always when ignition is on and switches off about 5 seconds after ignition is off (I can hear the fan working when radio is off).
My repair works so far - no e-box fan fault code until now!

EDIT: the e-box fan gets the power from the white 2 pin collector (first pic: above in the middle)

Attachments

·
Registered
158 Posts
I purchased an e-box fan from a scrap yard for about half the amount the dealership wants. The E39/540i fan (same part# as M5) is under warranty for 90 days.

I replaced the fan and cleared the 8F Error Code. Hopefully, the problem is solved for good. I will monitor the error codes on a daily basis.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I purchased an e-box fan from a scrap yard for about half the amount the dealership wants. The E39/540i fan (same part# as M5) is under warranty for 90 days.

I replaced the fan and cleared the 8F Error Code. Hopefully, the problem is solved for good. I will monitor the error codes on a daily basis.
dcaron9999,

Did you ever get the 8F error code again?

I was checking my codes and this one popped up. According to the work done above, it sounds like cleaning the fan may not be a permanent solution.

Thanks

·
Registered
437 Posts
Try switching two spark plugs.
If same cyl #4 code still comes up, it is quite likely a dirty (clogged?) injector.

Salty.[/qu

Move the spark plug. If you still get the cyl. #4 misfire, I'd suspect the coil before the injector..just my opinion.

·
Registered
48 Posts
hi to all M5 owners, I had the same error for the e-box fan and I had it replaced, at BMW dealer we reset the memory of the DME and tested the car to see what errors it will show, the e-box fan error shows again, we checked if the fun is relay working or not while the engine is running, it is working, why it is giving the same message I do not know. Any help. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just replaced my e-box fan... $250.00 BMW OEM part ... just a little challenge. Once you disconnect all the connectors and pull the black internal plastic bracket, your able to get to the Ebox fan... undo the 2 Phillips head screws and your ready to replace the unit.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts