BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting the code 8F that says "E-Box-Fan". Does anyone have any idea what that means?

thanks... josh

·
10,455 Posts
there is a small cooling fan in the electronics box where the dme is, like on a pc, to help control temps. I'd imagine yours is bad.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

·
10,455 Posts
Yes, that is the right area, under the pass side microfilter. I have opened up my dme box to wire in the iats, but never looked for the fan.
Mike

·
Registered
784 Posts
Hi jkarp,

I already got the same Error Code.

I bought a new E-Box fan at my BMW dealer but got one for the E65 ouich

Before I noticed, that I got the wrong fan of course I disassambled the old one and tested on +12V and ... the fan blows very well!

Now I´m going to test the oem fan by myself because my dealer informed me, that the E-Box fan is always on when ignition is on - there is no temp.sensor or anything else for switching the fan! :byee55amg

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sunny,
Did you find out anymore information on your issue? Also, any tips for the install of the fan? I am about to install my new one.

thanks... josh

·
Registered
129 Posts
can someone fill me in on this issue some more?? i just got the code last night, need to know how urgent this is.... what kind of labor is involved??

like to go into the dealer knowing as much as possible...

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Do it yourself. Just take it apart, replace the fan. Shouldn't be too hard to get to, so long as you have the right tools (I'd imagine a bolt or some torx screws).

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
you can DIY, it's just kinda a ***** to get in there. It's pretty tight with the ECM and other electronics being there. It took me about 30 minutes. There's a good write-up somewhere for it on a 540. I'll look for it and post it if I can find it.

...josh

·
Registered
464 Posts
I'm getting the same code...hope this is covered under CPO as I would hate spending $140 for the replacement fan.

·
Registered
77 Posts
On a different note, I am getting a "Misfire Cylinder #4", any thoughts or ideas. I get this consistently after resetting. Car is running fine and am planning on taking it in for the ECU recall software upgrade but wanted to go in better informed.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Z8 Dave said:
On a different note, I am getting a "Misfire Cylinder #4", any thoughts or ideas. I get this consistently after resetting. Car is running fine and am planning on taking it in for the ECU recall software upgrade but wanted to go in better informed.
Try switching two spark plugs.
If same cyl #4 code still comes up, it is quite likely a dirty (clogged?) injector.

Salty.

·
Registered
784 Posts
jkarp said:
Sunny,
Did you find out anymore information on your issue? Also, any tips for the install of the fan? I am about to install my new one.

thanks... josh
Hi,

sorry for late answering - I oversaw your qestion.

I took out the E-box fan and recognized, that the fan works properly!

The fan always gets +12V when ignition is on and is switched by the ground cable (brown/green if I remember correct, but I´ve pics on my private pc at home).

I connected the fan to ground (brown) so the fan works always when ignition is on and switches off about 5 seconds after ignition is off (I can hear the fan working when radio is off).

·
Registered
129 Posts
im bringing the car to the dealer for that recall notice anyway do they need to open up the DME to re-program or is that done thru another method??

i figured id get two birds killed with one shot assuming they need to get in the e-box anyway...

·
Registered
129 Posts
if anyone has any DIY tips id greatly appreciate them

i also need to know the severity of the issue... is this something I need to address immediately or else I risk frying my car computer??

does anyone know the part #??

·
Registered
897 Posts
Lawaia said:
I'm getting the same code...hope this is covered under CPO as I would hate spending $140 for the replacement fan.
I had mine replaced recently and it was covered under CPO. You will have to pay the $50 deductible.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Here's how I've fixed my E-box-Fan 8F error code.
I opened the DME sealed box under the passenger side cabin filter, reached the fan (***** to get to), tested it on 12V, and found it to be working. I decided to clean the wire male and female connectors with electronic contact cleaner, and blew out the dust from the fan unit with compreseed air. I put everything back together and the code has not returned yet.
I manage to do this by not disconnecting a single DME or relay wire. The E-box-fan sits under the wiring harness and DME mess. If anybody needs extra info to do this, let me know.
The two tough parts are:
(#1) getting the white plastic e-box waterproof lid off. Simply undo the four Allen screws, and reach behind to pry off two platics retaining tabs in the back of the lid, next to the firewall. I found that undoing at least three screws on the bottom of the windshield black plastic cover, makes the access to the retaining tabs a little easier.
(#2) gently lifting the DME computer (black plastic peripheral frame) inside the e-box, and wiring harness, so one hand can fit under the DME/relay/cable harness frame, and reach the fan. No harnesses need to be disconnected. You will notice a two-conductor wire leading to a female and male connector. Unplug this connector first, and undo two phillips screws holding the fan, with a STUB screwdriver.
You can then test this fan independently on a 12 volt source. Use the Positive + and ground terminals in the engine bay. When I did this, I noticed the fan operated normally. So I figured the fan connectors metallic contacts needed to be cleaned. I used electronics cleaner spray and tiny drill bit to rub the inside of the female connector.
I opened the e-box-fan plastic housing by prying it with a small flat blade screwdriver. I used compressed air to clean the inside.
I then put everything back together, and cleared the remaining "8F" code with PEAKE Tool. So far the 8F code has not re-appeared.

See this thread for more info: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=88228&highlight=e-box-fan

·
Registered
129 Posts
hey dcaron

how long did it take you approx?? ill probably pay someone to do it for me but id like to have a good idea of how long it takes

how did you remove the cabin filter??

·
Registered
158 Posts
lemansmiami said:
hey dcaron

how long did it take you approx?? ill probably pay someone to do it for me but id like to have a good idea of how long it takes

how did you remove the cabin filter??
The passenger side cabin filter unit does not require any tools to remove. and sits on top of the e-box. The driver side cabin filter unit sits on top of the brake master cylinder, and is remove as easily.

It is a 15 minute job, once you know you way around. It is 1-2 hours on your first attempt, with very basic tools. I suggest you attempt it yourself. A bit of patience is all that is needed. Your fan might not need to be replaced like mine was. The fan unit is pretty expensive on realoem.com. I don't know why because it is rather small, simple, and made out of plastic.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts