BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With my Audi B5 S4, I use VAG-COM (or VCDS for the newer versions) along with an OBD-2 cable to be able to scan for codes and erase them within various modules, check and set readiness codes for emissions testing, check values of many different operational aspects of the engine (fuel trims, timing, cam angles, etc), and to be able to code certain features such as doors locking at a certain speed and unlocking when removing the key from the ignition, disabling/enabling horn when locking the car, be able to roll the windows up and down with the key fob, etc.

What would I need to do the same thing on the M5? I know of the Peake reader from the FAQ, but no mention of software for a laptop.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
You'll need a special cable to run either. Hop on eBay and search for 'bmw inpa'. I picked my cable up for $20.

·
Registered
128 Posts
There is not a one stop shop to get a nice simple cable and software package like Ross-tech has done. All of the BMW software is dealer or factory software that got out to the public.
Head over to BF.com
Diagnostic Software

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So looks like INPA is the most "popular"? And are there any immediate fun things like what I mentioned? I'm REALLY hoping there is an option/code to set so that when I remove the key all the doors automatically unlock.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
So looks like INPA is the most "popular"? And are there any immediate fun things like what I mentioned? I'm REALLY hoping there is an option/code to set so that when I remove the key all the doors automatically unlock.
There is.

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
Don't forget PA Soft.

PLEASE NOTE THAT I DO NOT OWN AN M5 AND THIS POST IS NOT INTENDED TO BE ARROGANT. PLEASE READ THE IMPORTANT REVISED DISCLAIMER THAT APPLIES TO THIS POST

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Holy jeez. I can't believe how everyone (except E55AMG2) is casually suggesting BMCables without warning the OP of the potential for frustration, hair-tearing, and retrieving laptops from the front lawn. You all must have had a better experience than I did.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Look around for BMW Scanner 1.4.0 too - very similar to P.A.Soft. That's the closest I have seen to VCDS in terms of coding. You can code with DIS or SSS/Progman but it's not easy.

I have everything I need on 3 VMs. I set them up so they communicate over a private network within VMWare. Any hypervisor should work, so Hyper-V would be fine too. If you are technical enough you can get a lot more creative. Typically these things run on Windows XP so isolate or sandbox them in some way.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hah oh man, looks like I opened a can of worms. So it looks like I go either with BMcables or BMW Scanner, neither of which sound like simple plug-and-play with BMcables being hit-or-miss and the BMW scanner needing soldering to work properly.

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
I have everything I need on 3 VMs. I set them up so they communicate over a private network within VMWare. Any hypervisor should work, so Hyper-V would be fine too. If you are technical enough you can get a lot more creative. Typically these things run on Windows XP so isolate or sandbox them in some way.
Show off :rofl:

As usual, you guys make this stuff way too complicated (and this stuff is complicated :eek: ).

INPA, NCS Expert, DIS, SSS/Progman are all BMW FACTORY programs - they are what BMW used in the manufacture of the car or at dealerships (same goes for the TIS, or serviec manual). You can obtain all of this stuff online at no cost - if you can't, then STOP and give up. Getting INPA and NCS Expert set up is pretty easy. DIS and SSS will drive you nuts, even if you are a computer wiz like Brendan - I've seencomputer experts spend weeks trying to get those set up, sltough it is possible.

BMWCables is from a third party who wraps up all of the BMW stuff and makes it a little easier to install - note that I said little, it still won't work without some fussing. Their customer service is non-existent, you won't get a tracking number and the stuff arrives when it arrives.

PASoft 1.4 is a third party product that is available online for not a lot of money. It is pretty easy to set up and easy to use. It can pull codes, do programming, and recode modules (that is a little more complicated).

There you go. Do some research, make some choices and get on with it :)

PLEASE NOTE THAT I DO NOT OWN AN M5 AND THIS POST IS NOT INTENDED TO BE ARROGANT. PLEASE READ THE IMPORTANT REVISED DISCLAIMER THAT APPLIES TO THIS POST

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
See, that's where I plain give up. Might as well have been written in Swahili for all the good that did me trying to understand that :hihi::hihi::hihi:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts