BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 M5 and would like to know the best way to do a quick 0-60. What is the best way? Should I start in 2nd gear with a rev around 2k? or should I start in 1st?
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
10,458 Posts
at80 said:
I have a 2002 M5 and would like to know the best way to do a quick 0-60. What is the best way? Should I start in 2nd gear with a rev around 2k? or should I start in 1st?
It's been years since i've done any 'official' drag racing, but i'd definately start in first gear. Roll off the line at around 1800rpm try to get the throttle down as much as possible once the car is rolling, you'll probably have to feather it a bit in first gear, but you won't be there long...
Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,965 Posts
at80 said:
I have a 2002 M5 and would like to know the best way to do a quick 0-60. What is the best way? Should I start in 2nd gear with a rev around 2k? or should I start in 1st?
Good advice from Mike. Also, see if ELEVENS chimes in, he is one of our resident drag gurus.
Regards,
Jerry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,813 Posts
According to one of the first magazines to do a review on the e39 m5. They said to have the revs at 1000 rpm and to get off the clutch very fast while feeding in the throttle. The nose should not drop with one quick momentum off the line. Drop it in second just a shade before 7000 to avoid cut off (cuz the engine revs actually get there before the meter does in first only) and you should lay day down 10 feet of rubber on your way to a 4.7 0-60 :byebye:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,099 Posts
And of course use sport mode on and DSC off. I've managed to do quick runs with DSC on (and gotten some tire chirp) but it can quickly put an end to the fun if it cuts throttle.

Also do a search for Greg's M5 Driving School for good tips on clutch use. I think the videos were recently moved but can't remember where.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
10,458 Posts
i definately agree on dsc off, but personally, i find the throttle easier to modulate with sport off. I like sport on for the track, as i think it's easier to heel and toe in 'sport mode' (and i like the heavy steering feel). I think trying to launch with sport off would be easier (imho).
Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,817 Posts
gsfent said:
Good advice from Mike. Also, see if ELEVENS chimes in, he is one of our resident drag gurus.
Regards,
Jerry
Dang Jerry, that's a hard intro to live up to :hihi:

I learned most of what I know from the best - member bluemax. He still has the best M5 60' time I've seen, using Michelins of course.

You could always turn a low 4 second 0-60 by doing what the American musclecar guys do: Rev to about 5 grand and ride the clutch. Doing it that way, you can probably count the number of launches with the fingers of one hand before the telltale stench of roasted clutch lining and ruined pressure plate and flywheel tips you off that you're all done for the day. Effective, but far from safe! :3:

What worked best for me is Sport off, DSC off. Hold at 2000 rpm and let the clutch out fairly quickly, but not "dumping" it. I tried less than 2000 rpm but the car bogged. Not that I could really feel/sense it, but my "spotters" pointed it out to me. You can, however, feel the car's suspension "load up". Once that happens, you press into the gas. Again, not "nailing it", but still pretty quickly. It all happens in the first 1/2 second.

By now you should be getting the idea that that there's a lot of clutch out/gas on "feel" involved. I'd like to think that I'm good at it, but the fact is, there's a LOT of luck involved. The way you get "lucky" is repetition. I had to do it 5-10 times each of the two times I dragged the M5 to rip off a few good ones.

Well, I got a little long but basically I had a foundation that bluemax coached me on, then I got lucky. BTW, bluemax used 1700 rpm. I had Dunlops, and the 2000 RPM worked best for me.

Don't be afraid to experiment. Each car/driver is different.

Have fun!

:M5launch:

:cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,469 Posts
All great suggestions. In the M5 Driving Experience they coached us in launching and I learned a lot there. One thing that I did not see mentioned but was drilled into my head during the M5 DE: No matter what gear you are in, do out bury your right foot before the left is fully out. When we are anxious about acceleration, we apply WOT (bury right foot) before the clutch fully engages (left foot fully out). Besides toasting the clutch, it actually slows down the acceleration. The lrft/right foot co-ordination is crucial for great launches, and clutch longevity.

Good luck.

CP
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
977 Posts
chunpng said:
All great suggestions. In the M5 Driving Experience they coached us in launching and I learned a lot there. One thing that I did not see mentioned but was drilled into my head during the M5 DE: No matter what gear you are in, do out bury your right foot before the left is fully out. When we are anxious about acceleration, we apply WOT (bury right foot) before the clutch fully engages (left foot fully out). Besides toasting the clutch, it actually slows down the acceleration. The lrft/right foot co-ordination is crucial for great lauches, and clutch longevity.

Good luck.

CP
Your left foot can be fully out and the clutch not fully engaged. I'm sure it's happened to everyone at some point or another. The car bucks wildly because the clutch is just hopping along big time because of the power. It's not slippage, it's just that you gave it to much before the clutch really had a grip, and now it's freaking out trying to get that grip.

PS - If anyone ever drove an E46 M3 SMG, this can happen if you are not careful with 1st throttle application. If you put the throttle down and suddely let off too quick it causes the clutch to hop along. Only way around it in the SMG is to upshift or get off the throttle. In a manual, you obviously have other options since the computer isn't moving the clutch.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
326 Posts
What ever you do.. Do not redline or Rev past 6K and drop the clutch (hammer).
Big brother will give you the " no no "

and don't ask how i Know.. haha
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Guys I've had the E39 M5 and trust me the best way to get a fast start is to do the following:
1.DSC off Power on A/C off
2.Tap the accelerator till you get the RPM between 1700-1900 rpm in 1st gear
3. Drop the clutch then apply FULL throttle
4. Shifting to second gear should be done without removing your right foot off the accelerator.
5. Same should be done while shifting to every other gear.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
ELEVENS said:
Dang
What worked best for me is Sport off, DSC off.

:M5launch:

:cheers:
I don't understand how you could get a better time with the sport mode off? Maybe I don't understand exactly what the sport mode does, but I was told that with it off you were using about 300 HP and with it on the full 400 HP? It seems that is totally wrong so what's the real story?
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
10,458 Posts
jlindy said:
I don't understand how you could get a better time with the sport mode off? Maybe I don't understand exactly what the sport mode does, but I was told that with it off you were using about 300 HP and with it on the full 400 HP? It seems that is totally wrong so what's the real story?

You were misinformed. Sport on does a coupld of things. It reduces powersteering assistance, making the steering a bit heavier, and it adjusts the rate at which the throttles open (we're talking e39 M5 here, other models may be different). With sport mode off or on, when you push the gas pedal to the floor, you get wide open throttle. At say, 10 percent gas pedel, you get more throttle opening with sport on vs sport off, making the car feel more responsive. Both make the same power. I felt that with sport off, it's a little easier to modulate the throttle to get a better launch without roasting the tires... Drive with sport mode off, beyond about 50% throttle pedal, i think the sport on/off feels about the same, it's the smaller throttle openings where you can feel a bigger difference, but again, on a dyno you'd get the same hp numbers.
Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
262 Posts
could someone explain why having the AC off helps acceleration?

-joe
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
10,458 Posts
cebu said:
could someone explain why having the AC off helps acceleration?

-joe

less parsitic drag from turning the ac compressor, worth a few hp i'd imagine.
mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
977 Posts
mottati said:
less parsitic drag from turning the ac compressor, worth a few hp i'd imagine.
mike
The compressor turns itself off at a certain % of throttle, so it won't be nearly as bad as in cars that don't do this, but there is still the initial drain the compressor has until your foot hits that throttle position.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
10,458 Posts
HDClown said:
The compressor turns itself off at a certain % of throttle, so it won't be nearly as bad as in cars that don't do this, but there is still the initial drain the compressor has until your foot hits that throttle position.
never knew this. at what point does the compressor shut off? only wot?
I suppose you wouldn't want to spin the ac compressor at 7k rpm...
Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,572 Posts
Most all cars for at least the last 10 years and BMW's since at least 1988 have had A/C cutout on heavy throttle. On Motronic cars the throttle switch triggers "wide open throttle", and that is when the A/C clutch is disengaged.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
962 Posts
//ChiplogicPower said:
Guys I've had the E39 M5 and trust me the best way to get a fast start is to do the following:
1.DSC off Power on A/C off
2.Tap the accelerator till you get the RPM between 1700-1900 rpm in 1st gear
3. Drop the clutch then apply FULL throttle
4. Shifting to second gear should be done without removing your right foot off the accelerator.
5. Same should be done while shifting to every other gear.
Guys trust me, the best way to get a rush is to jump off a tall building.

Sorry mate, but your suggestion of WOT gear changes from 1>2 may produce good times, but should not be recomended to anyone who cares very much about their car.
 

·
Moderator Emeritus
Joined
·
2,977 Posts
ELEVENS said:
Dang Jerry, that's a hard intro to live up to :hihi:

I learned most of what I know from the best - member bluemax. He still has the best M5 60' time I've seen, using Michelins of course.

You could always turn a low 4 second 0-60 by doing what the American musclecar guys do: Rev to about 5 grand and ride the clutch. Doing it that way, you can probably count the number of launches with the fingers of one hand before the telltale stench of roasted clutch lining and ruined pressure plate and flywheel tips you off that you're all done for the day. Effective, but far from safe! :3:

What worked best for me is Sport off, DSC off. Hold at 2000 rpm and let the clutch out fairly quickly, but not "dumping" it. I tried less than 2000 rpm but the car bogged. Not that I could really feel/sense it, but my "spotters" pointed it out to me. You can, however, feel the car's suspension "load up". Once that happens, you press into the gas. Again, not "nailing it", but still pretty quickly. It all happens in the first 1/2 second.

By now you should be getting the idea that that there's a lot of clutch out/gas on "feel" involved. I'd like to think that I'm good at it, but the fact is, there's a LOT of luck involved. The way you get "lucky" is repetition. I had to do it 5-10 times each of the two times I dragged the M5 to rip off a few good ones.

Well, I got a little long but basically I had a foundation that bluemax coached me on, then I got lucky. BTW, bluemax used 1700 rpm. I had Dunlops, and the 2000 RPM worked best for me.

Don't be afraid to experiment. Each car/driver is different.

Have fun!

:M5launch:

:cheers:
Elevens,

How do you best upshift into 2nd?

David
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top