BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best front strut tower brace for an e39 M5? Where is the best place to buy?

Thanks,
:2:

·
Registered
283 Posts
For people that have gotten one, what kind of difference has this made? The E39 feels pretty tight and stiff as it is, does a strut tower brace really make any difference?

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
The front strut tower brace is supposed to make a VERY small difference in handling, adding a tigether feeling during cornering. The rear bar supposedly helps eliminate flexing over time with track driven cars. The front brace is a 10 minute DIY install, the rear is a 5 hour Dinan authorized dealer job.

Travis

·
10,445 Posts
M5Kid said:
The front strut tower brace is supposed to make a VERY small difference in handling, adding a tigether feeling during cornering. The rear bar supposedly helps eliminate flexing over time with track driven cars. The front brace is a 10 minute DIY install, the rear is a 5 hour Dinan authorized dealer job.

Travis
Good answer, imho. However, if you're doing the suspension, rear bar adds very little, in terms of labor. The PITA part is getting to the upper shcock mounts, which requires a bit of interior disassembly.
mike

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Adding another option into the mix, I beleive BeastPower is about to release a front stut tower bar, should hit the market in a week or two.

Travis

·
Registered
770 Posts
I’ve been reluctant to comment on this thread however since I received several PMs I felt I should respond.

First of all thank you for considering us for such an addition to your M5’s. Your trust in us is greatly appreciated. It is as a part of the trust you share that I have to share that we do not offer a strut tower brace for the M5. All though aesthetically pleasing for many we found that the engine bay design and infrastructure of the M5 to be designed in such a manner that a strut tower brace produced no measure able gains. By comparison we found that the E36, the E46, and Mini’s all receive benefit from the installation of such a brace.

Since our focus remains on products and services that remain performance results orientated and not simply aesthetically pleasing this will not be a product we offer.

For those that find them pleasant to look at and understand their benefit or lack thereof then by all means we would support the modification to your M5. However if better handling, less under steer, and a more positive on the road feeling is what you desire by all means communicate with us directly an we gladly offer suggestions.

Again, thank you for looking to www.Discovery–Automotive.com for your performance upgrades and modifications.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
M5Kid said:
... BeastPower is about to release a front stut tower bar, should hit the market in a week or two...
Coming from beastpower it's sure to be a fine piece. But if you're in a hurry, it was on July 9 that "Those who are willing to wait a few weeks..." could get that bar. Maybe beastpower will jump in here and give a more accurate update.

B

·
0 Posts
ELEVENS said:
Coming from beastpower it's sure to be a fine piece. But if you're in a hurry, it was on July 9 that "Those who are willing to wait a few weeks..." could get that bar. Maybe beastpower will jump in here and give a more accurate update.
:)

Unfortunately you are correct regarding your dates. The manufacturer of this product is not BeastPower, rather it is a fine company called Strong-Strut. We just convey the time-frames conveyed to us by the manufacturer. BeastPower approached Strong-Strut with the idea of making a front brace for the M5, and they accepted the challenge.

BeastPower will be marketing the brace as soon as it hits the market, which is expected to be 2-3 weeks based on recent updates received from Strong-Strut. Strong-Strut's efforts were delayed due to their focus on new braces for the e31 and e34.

Cheers, Daniel.

·
Registered
944 Posts
SuperCharged said:
I’ve been reluctant to comment on this thread however since I received several PMs I felt I should respond.

First of all thank you for considering us for such an addition to your M5’s. Your trust in us is greatly appreciated. It is as a part of the trust you share that I have to share that we do not offer a strut tower brace for the M5. All though aesthetically pleasing for many we found that the engine bay design and infrastructure of the M5 to be designed in such a manner that a strut tower brace produced no measure able gains. By comparison we found that the E36, the E46, and Mini’s all receive benefit from the installation of such a brace.

Since our focus remains on products and services that remain performance results orientated and not simply aesthetically pleasing this will not be a product we offer.

For those that find them pleasant to look at and understand their benefit or lack thereof then by all means we would support the modification to your M5. However if better handling, less under steer, and a more positive on the road feeling is what you desire by all means communicate with us directly an we gladly offer suggestions.

Again, thank you for looking to www.Discovery–Automotive.com for your performance upgrades and modifications.
whats your opinion of the use of a rear bar? Under quick 2nd gear 'snap' acceleration in 2nd, a small 'twisting' can sometimes be felt, i guess the suspension loading up with the twisting torque of the engine..(?)

...would a rear brace reduce this?

Pre M5, I had an E36 M3 rear subframe break on me (most likely to do with non standard rims, tyres and suspension) and felt this similar sensation b4 that event!

Thanks for comments as always (car is stock in all suspension/rims/tyre areas)

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
BeastPower said:
Unfortunately you are correct regarding your dates....

BP,

Based upon the photos you posted back in July, it will be worth the wait for those who are shopping for a strut brace.

I have the Dinan strut brace on my M5, but did it mostly for the looks lovelove I can't feel any difference on the street.

B

·
0 Posts
ELEVENS said:
BP,

Based upon the photos you posted back in July, it will be worth the wait for those who are shopping for a strut brace.

I have the Dinan strut brace on my M5, but did it mostly for the looks lovelove I can't feel any difference on the street.
The manufacturer has incorporated several design attributes that, according to their statements, come to improve on the functionality of Dinan's piece.

Cheers, Daniel.

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
ELEVENS said:
ELEVENS - My hat is off to you for your honesty. It is valued and appreciated. I argued a long time ago that based on the geometry and existing structure that a front strut brace wasn't likely to do any good. However the predominant feedback from owners of ANY aftermarket add-on tends to be favorable - only because people have a natural tendency to want to defend their choices.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Starnge, I have never fitted a front strut brace and felt no difference, M3, 911RS, etc, etc and M5. Sharpens turn in and feels taughter and gives the impression that the car is not flexing, almost as if the suspension geometry stays more accurate throughtout the bends.

The feeling is far from subjective to me !

·
Registered
770 Posts
foxyboym5 said:
whats your opinion of the use of a rear bar? Under quick 2nd gear 'snap' acceleration in 2nd, a small 'twisting' can sometimes be felt, i guess the suspension loading up with the twisting torque of the engine..(?)

...would a rear brace reduce this?

Pre M5, I had an E36 M3 rear subframe break on me (most likely to do with non standard rims, tyres and suspension) and felt this similar sensation b4 that event!

Thanks for comments as always (car is stock in all suspension/rims/tyre areas)
I thank you again for asking our opinion on this subject. And I would love to share it with you however out of respect for our fellow vendors I would prefer to continue it privately or I invite you to post in our message boards tech forums so others may share in the conversation and gain from it as well. Not to mention Shadowman will be able to go into a more in depth explanation from a performance engineering perspective.

Thank you for indulging my wish not to steer this thread off course.

Happy Holiday to those in the States

Sean

1 - 18 of 18 Posts