BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
How much did you pay for the resonators?
They weren't expensive, only about $80 each, so $160 total + $100 for the tips + $200 labor at muffler shop = $460 total cost. Inexpensive and sounds amazing!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I wonder if anyone has ever done a resonator delete, and KEPT the rear stock mufflers? Or resonator delete with Dinan rear sections which I hear is too loud.
I bought mine with high flow cats (unknown brand) a resonator delete and the stock mufflers.
It sounds good down low with no drone but gets a bit raspy (inside the car) up top.
My wife tells me it’s loud, but it’s quiet inside the car.
I’ve also spoken to Russ Fellowes who told me the original Evolve 4-2-1 RHD headers were designed to be used with an X or H pipe and the stock mufflers.
He also said the stock mufflers are free flowing - their negative is that they’re very heavy.
I also like the fact that the car looks stock from the rear.

·
Registered
856 Posts
The only aftermarket mufflers that still look stock on the car are the Dinan ones I believe. Supersprint are really wide and look awkward, others are hexagonal, etc, just look silly.

Attachments

·
Registered
644 Posts
Go with the Dinan set up. Quiet until foot stomp. DO NOT remove the resonator as it will give you lots of drone at cruising speeds. Don't ask how I know.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts

Muffler delete with 12" Vibrant resonators and the tips of your choice. Sound is phenomenal. Nearly the same as stock but a beautiful noise starts above 3500 rpm. You will drive with the windows down more than you used to.

·
Registered
38 Posts
How is the muffler delete on cold start? I’m guessing a bit louder, so am leaning towards using electronic cutouts.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
In my opinion cold starts are a little louder, barely noticible, but in no way bothersome. Not like the neighbors will be cussing you. On my car the addition of the Vibrant resonators in place of the mufflers probably help in that regard and probably keep it a few db quieter at full song than without them. It is a nice mellow tone, not raspy.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The only aftermarket mufflers that still look stock on the car are the Dinan ones I believe. Supersprint are really wide and look awkward, others are hexagonal, etc, just look silly.
The quieter street Supersprint mufflers have the awkward rolled tips but the "race" ones look stock: Rear exhaust "Racing" Left OO 70. for BMW E39 M5, Rear exhaust "Racing" Left OO 70.

I bought these to replace the muffler delete that came on my car because they were about $400 cheaper than Dinan through Schmiedmann and I've had great luck with Supersprint parts on my E46 M3 (V1 headers .... (y)). Cold start and on-throttle is still quite "noticeable" but nowhere near as much as the muffler delete. Pretty much sounds the same but quieter. It was too much for a daily before.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
View attachment 937047

Muffler delete with 12" Vibrant resonators and the tips of your choice. Sound is phenomenal. Nearly the same as stock but a beautiful noise starts above 3500 rpm. You will drive with the windows down more than you used to.
I was considering this exact setup but went with vibrant ultra quiet resonators instead. Do you notice any drone/resonance between 900-1600rpm?

Also, got any exhaust videos?

21 - 29 of 29 Posts