BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey can anyone recommend me any good sounding budget performance mufflers for the M5 E39? It's about time to do an exhaust upgrade so I can hear that great S62 sound. Any help will be appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
856 Posts
From what I have read, the best sounding budget mufflers you can get are the OE mufflers, gutted out and re-welded back on.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Muffler delete is your best option for cheap. The previous owner of my car had it done, left the resonators in and honestly I thought it was too much when I got the car. But now I'm glad it was done. It sounds really loud at first but trust me, you'll get used to it quickly.

Besides V8 muffler deletes always sound good. Unlike a Honda Civic muffler deletes that makes you want to stab your ears out!

Sent from Uranus with Love.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Or you could just drill a hole in the piping somewhere before the muffler, which can then be plugged with a removable bolt when one prefers to go with the stock sound level.

Or cut outs, for a couple of hundreds for the cutouts.

Best of both worlds.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I remove the rear mufflers and get some stainless steel tips, will the diameter of the tips have much difference on the volume?
Thats my understanding, no drone or damage
Muffler delete is your best option for cheap. The previous owner of my car had it done, left the resonators in and honestly I thought it was too much when I got the car. But now I'm glad it was done. It sounds really loud at first but trust me, you'll get used to it quickly.

Besides V8 muffler deletes always sound good. Unlike a Honda Civic muffler deletes that makes you want to stab your ears out!

Sent from Uranus with Love.
I have heard of people changing tips to 3.5 inch, does that have any effect on the sound?

·
Registered
922 Posts
Can highly recommend Magnaflow 14816s , also gives you very pretty tips. See this old thread - with sound clips and all.
Long time ago - time flies....

·
Registered
361 Posts
Can highly recommend Magnaflow 14816s , also gives you very pretty tips. See this old thread - with sound clips and all.
My car came with the Magnaflows when I bought it so I don't know how much they cost, but I chose to leave them on. I'm not a huge fan of the tips, but they do sound nice. Subtle/tasteful, good tone, zero drone.

Muffler delete is LOUD any time you go near the throttle.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I recently changed the exhaust on my latest M5. On my previous M5s I had muffler deletes and was very happy with them, they don't produce any drone at all but they're a little loud when outside the car. However they're relatively quiet inside the car, so quiet that on my red M5 I replaced my cats with a straight pipe for more sound.

I decided to do something different with my latest exhaust setup. I decided instead of a basic muffler delete I'll buy 2 Vibrant Ultra Quiet resonators to replace my mufflers. I figured this would keep the exhaust quiet enough when cruising to not annoy neighbors or draw too much attention while providing a great sound with enough volume when on the throttle.

After install I'm very happy with the sound. Light quiet but noticeable rumble when driving normally and cruising. Much louder when heavy on the gas, sounds so good. In my opinion it sounds better than a muffler delete. It's got a slightly different tone. Kinda hard to describe but it sounds throaty and powerful. The tone feels less cookie-cutter and more exotic.

However I believe they produce slightly more drone than muffler deletes. The drone is very light and doesn't bother me at all even though drone typically does bother me. It's more of a rumble tone than an annoying resonance. I hear it between 1000-1500rpm, it's very deep, bordering on resonant drone but not overwhelming and doesn't interfere with normal cabin conversation. It's actually enjoyable.

Overall very happy with this decision. I prefer this exhaust setup over a muffler delete. I also recommend leaving the original resonators on the car, they control excess drone and provide a good sound. For more volume get high flow cats or less restrictive resonators to replace the mufflers.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I had these mufflers on my first M5. I wasn't a huge fan of them, they droned a lot in the cabin and didn't have much noticeable cabin tone. I upgraded them to muffler deletes and got less drone and a louder sound, overall I don't personally recommend them. Though it's weird others don't report the same drone I've experienced so take my recommendation with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I recently changed the exhaust on my latest M5. On my previous M5s I had muffler deletes and was very happy with them, they don't produce any drone at all but they're a little loud when outside the car. However they're relatively quiet inside the car, so quiet that on my red M5 I replaced my cats with a straight pipe for more sound.

I decided to do something different with my latest exhaust setup. I decided instead of a basic muffler delete I'll buy 2 Vibrant Ultra Quiet resonators to replace my mufflers. I figured this would keep the exhaust quiet enough when cruising to not annoy neighbors or draw too much attention while providing a great sound with enough volume when on the throttle.

After install I'm very happy with the sound. Light quiet but noticeable rumble when driving normally and cruising. Much louder when heavy on the gas, sounds so good. In my opinion it sounds better than a muffler delete. It's got a slightly different tone. Kinda hard to describe but it sounds throaty and powerful. The tone feels less cookie-cutter and more exotic.

However I believe they produce slightly more drone than muffler deletes. The drone is very light and doesn't bother me at all even though drone typically does bother me. It's more of a rumble tone than an annoying resonance. I hear it between 1000-1500rpm, it's very deep, bordering on resonant drone but not overwhelming and doesn't interfere with normal cabin conversation. It's actually enjoyable.

Overall very happy with this decision. I prefer this exhaust setup over a muffler delete. I also recommend leaving the original resonators on the car, they control excess drone and provide a good sound. For more volume get high flow cats or less restrictive resonators to replace the mufflers.
Thanks for the advice! Will look in to that!

·
Registered
856 Posts
I have a friend who had a muffler shop cut off the rear muffler on his Benz C320 and install a magnaflow rear muffler. The interior cabin drone immediately after was so flippin bad he was seriously considering going back to the shop a week later and have it removed. But then that car was totaled, so he never had to go through with removing it.

I know it's not a cheap option by any means, but I have the Rogue X pipe and Dinan rear cans, perfect sound, zero cabin drone, and the grunt and boom on low rpm's is intoxicating as is the sound on WOT. I originally just had the dinan rear section and it was not that noticeable of a difference except for the low end boom, replacing the stock resonator with the rogue unit made a huge difference in the wailing the car does on WOT, so I think the resonator is responsible for muffling the exhaust maybe even more than the rear mufflers?

I wonder if anyone has ever done a resonator delete, and KEPT the rear stock mufflers? Or resonator delete with Dinan rear sections which I hear is too loud.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I have a friend who had a muffler shop cut off the rear muffler on his Benz C320 and install a magnaflow rear muffler. The interior cabin drone immediately after was so flippin bad he was seriously considering going back to the shop a week later and have it removed. But then that car was totaled, so he never had to go through with removing it.

I know it's not a cheap option by any means, but I have the Rogue X pipe and Dinan rear cans, perfect sound, zero cabin drone, and the grunt and boom on low rpm's is intoxicating as is the sound on WOT. I originally just had the dinan rear section and it was not that noticeable of a difference except for the low end boom, replacing the stock resonator with the rogue unit made a huge difference in the wailing the car does on WOT, so I think the resonator is responsible for muffling the exhaust maybe even more than the rear mufflers?

I wonder if anyone has ever done a resonator delete, and KEPT the rear stock mufflers? Or resonator delete with Dinan rear sections which I hear is too loud.
I'm surprised to hear you don't experience any drone with the Rogue X pipe. Makes me think drone primarily comes from resonance of the rear mufflers, that would explain why my Vibrant Ultra Quiet resonator setup drones slightly more than a muffler delete.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts