BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think this Q?? Might have a lot on Q??? to it. What people say all the time is use Chevron with techron and others say use 76 with pro power what do you guys think ??? which gives you the best performance?

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
I always use Chevron with no complaints.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I've used a number of gasolines. Mobil, Texaco, Citgo, and yes even shell. As long as you're running 93 or better octane from a reputable gas station, it runs fine. All major companies use a decent blend of additives and detergents. I'm only wary of smaller "no name" gas stations.

When I can find it, I like to put in Sunoco or Exxon 94. Those are the only 94 octane gas stations around here.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Originally posted by Mattar:
I think this Q?? Might have a lot on Q??? to it. What people say all the time is use Chevron with techron and others say use 76 with pro power what do you guys think ??? which gives you the best performance?
I have been pleased with Amoco Ultimate 93 octane

------------------

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
i would suggest only sticking to one gas station that you know and rely on. You would be suprised how many gas station dilute their gas with water. My wifes whole family is in the gas station business, owning about 10 stations or so between all of them, and let me tell you it is grotesque what they do to the gas. And they showed me how this bad business is common practice also. Best thing to do is stick with one place that you know the gas is good, and dont feel that if one exxon/chevron/mobil is good, the one down the street is just the same. quality control at these places cant do anything about it.

fas

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Is there a noticable performance difference between major brands. I mean we all hear about it but can you feel it? Is it better/worse for your engine? I'm sure there are gas stations that dilute but not all. I use Shell mostly out of convenience and my car halls (like the others). We had 7 E39's pushing 150 no one complained about bad gas and some of us had to fill up at some no-name gas station along the way. So is this real or dogma? Excuse my ignorance on this subject.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I have heard, anecdotally, that some stations will sell unbranded gas under a premium label and Texaco adds more parafin to its gas than others. Heard that Chevon is best in West. But, seems like gas is like coffee -- find one that works rather than drink for the brand...

·
Registered
302 Posts
I've been using Sunoco Ultra (94 octane) most of the time, paying about 10 cents over the 93 premium. Earlier threads have poo-poohed the added value of the 94 vs. 93. Without having undertaken any scientific testing, I believe I'm getting better mileage with the 94 that when I've used 93. Why not pamper the Beast for the extra $3-$4 a tankful?

Tom
'00 Anthracite/Caramel

1 - 11 of 11 Posts