BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

What would be the average price of a used BMW E60 M5, according to the following options and specifications:

• Exterior color: Black, Interlagos Blue or White
  • Interior color: Black, Imola Red or White
  • Interior options: Cooled and Heated seats, Head Up Display, Heated Rear Seats, Hugging Seats
  • Engine etc.: preferrably stock (exhaust doesn't matter), SMG 7
I think this is all. Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,
Cilgin.

·
Registered
2009 BMW E63 M6, Sapphire Black
377 Posts
Hello,

What would be the average price of a used BMW E60 M5, according to the following options and specifications:

• Exterior color: Black, Interlagos Blue or White
  • Interior color: Black, Imola Red or White
  • Interior options: Cooled and Heated seats, Head Up Display, Heated Rear Seats, Hugging Seats
  • Engine etc.: preferrably stock (exhaust doesn't matter), SMG 7
I think this is all. Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,
Cilgin.
look on ebay for a while to give yourself an idea. after that, it varies based on miles and where/when the car was driven (summer only, or whenever), was it garaged and maintenance records. southern states typically have less corrosion problems, even if it is minor, ie rusted suspension bolts. then after that, number of owners. Not sure about E60's, but E63 were running between 10-30K USD - those are just ball park numbers. If you find something rare, like very low miles, one owner, competition edition, goes higher. who knows what they actually sold for.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
look on ebay for a while to give yourself an idea. after that, it varies based on miles and where/when the car was driven (summer only, or whenever), was it garaged and maintenance records. southern states typically have less corrosion problems, even if it is minor, ie rusted suspension bolts. then after that, number of owners. Not sure about E60's, but E63 were running between 10-30K USD - those are just ball park numbers. If you find something rare, like very low miles, one owner, competition edition, goes higher. who knows what they actually sold for.
I looked on AutoTempest and eBay a few times but I think buying one via M5Board is a better idea because I think the seller will be more honest and will know the car better (service history for example).

·
Registered
2009 BMW E63 M6, Sapphire Black
377 Posts
I looked on AutoTempest and eBay a few times but I think buying one via M5Board is a better idea because I think the seller will be more honest and will know the car better (service history for example).
That is probably true.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Ebay can be a good gauge but be sure to look at the SOLD price and not asking. Still a good idea to get a PPI done, especially if you have time before the auction ends. Also agree that getting one from a board member is probably the safest route

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is probably true.
Ebay can be a good gauge but be sure to look at the SOLD price and not asking. Still a good idea to get a PPI done, especially if you have time before the auction ends. Also agree that getting one from a board member is probably the safest route
Yes, but since I am new to the board I wanted to know what previous M5's have been sold for as how I want the M5 to be.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Seeing that these cars are 10+ years old you may or may not get the exact options you want. Options typically do not impact the price heavily. The SMG vs 6MT may be the exception here.
You probably want to look at a 2008+, number of previous owners will impact price, documented service history will too.

A 2008 with 120k+ miles with little to no service history and multiple owners maybe $10k-$12k
A 2010 with 30k miles and full service history, 1 owner may go for $30k plus

The $ figures above are simply my estimates - YMMV.
I am not sure you can get the answer you seek - but good luck.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Seeing that these cars are 10+ years old you may or may not get the exact options you want. Options typically do not impact the price heavily. The SMG vs 6MT may be the exception here.
You probably want to look at a 2008+, number of previous owners will impact price, documented service history will too.

A 2008 with 120k+ miles with little to no service history and multiple owners maybe $10k-$12k
A 2010 with 30k miles and full service history, 1 owner may go for $30k plus

The $ figures above are simply my estimates - YMMV.
I am not sure you can get the answer you seek - but good luck.
Thanks :). What would be the best place to look for M5's between $10k-12k?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Like other folks have said Ebay is gives you one idea, the selling price not the asking.
In the US we have a website called autotrader.com here you put in make / model etc and your US location and search for cars within n miles of your location. Again here you see the sellers asking price you can usually negotiate on the final price.
Carmax is another good reference website. Here you will see a price which is typically non-negotiable. It gives a good reference on what the vehicle is worth. However, they usually sell newer models >10 years old. I see no E60 M5s on there right now.
Put a wanted to buy ad in the For Sale or Wanted section of this forum.

Here is an example on autotrader.com for $11k:
2006 M5

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Like other folks have said Ebay is gives you one idea, the selling price not the asking.
In the US we have a website called autotrader.com here you put in make / model etc and your US location and search for cars within n miles of your location. Again here you see the sellers asking price you can usually negotiate on the final price.
Carmax is another good reference website. Here you will see a price which is typically non-negotiable. It gives a good reference on what the vehicle is worth. However, they usually sell newer models >10 years old. I see no E60 M5s on there right now.
Put a wanted to buy ad in the For Sale or Wanted section of this forum.

Here is an example on autotrader.com for $11k:
2006 M5
I looked on eBay but I could only find 4 for sale and these are all way above what they sell for on average. eBay.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Thanks :). What would be the best place to look for M5's between $10k-12k?
I'm not sure for buying outside the country? There are plenty in that price range that will be SMG and more than likely need plenty of work done to compensate for deferred maintenance and cheap previous owners. Facebook marketplace and craigslist would probably still be the cheapest way to find one from someone who got over their head and wallet and are looking to unload. You'd probably need someone to do the transaction for you since buying from overseas just screams scam and selling cars like that is so incredibly toxic.

Most dealers/buy here pay here lots that flip older german luxury cars will have them around higher teens to low 20's depending on mileage but that doesn't say anything about having the rod bearings done or other work.

I personally like to search through autotempest and autotrader.

I'd be really afraid of getting a basket case at that price point though

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm not sure for buying outside the country? There are plenty in that price range that will be SMG and more than likely need plenty of work done to compensate for deferred maintenance and cheap previous owners. Facebook marketplace and craigslist would probably still be the cheapest way to find one from someone who got over their head and wallet and are looking to unload. You'd probably need someone to do the transaction for you since buying from overseas just screams scam and selling cars like that is so incredibly toxic.

Most dealers/buy here pay here lots that flip older german luxury cars will have them around higher teens to low 20's depending on mileage but that doesn't say anything about having the rod bearings done or other work.

I personally like to search through autotempest and autotrader.

I'd be really afraid of getting a basket case at that price point though
I'd really prefer to buy one via the board but it seems like there recently aren't a lot of M5's for sale anymore. Most of the for sale threads are more then a few months old. Also thanks, I still have time so I will do a lot more research before I really buy one.

·
Registered
35 Posts
There's is also a Facebook group called "E60 M5/M6 classifieds" probably not as good a bet as buying from someone on the board but I see at least a couple cars come up for sale a week and they are usually pretty reasonably priced.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There's is also a Facebook group called "E60 M5/M6 classifieds" probably not as good a bet as buying from someone on the board but I see at least a couple cars come up for sale a week and they are usually pretty reasonably priced.
Can you send me the link please?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sure it's: BMW E60 M5/M6 CLASSIFIEDS

I think it is a private group so you have to ask to join but it took them less than a day to approve me if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I bought mine back in November. 08 6MT Gray/ Black interior. It has 140K, 65k on the motor. Immaculate car, immaculate service history. PO had just dropped $9k in maintenance. It needed rod bearings though so he sold it to me for $12k (wish I could've paid him $3k without the maintenance lol). DIY'd the bearings for under $1k including some other "while you're in there" stuff.

Hope this helps you gauge a little more. There are great deals out there, you just have to find them.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I bought mine back in November. 08 6MT Gray/ Black interior. It has 140K, 65k on the motor. Immaculate car, immaculate service history. PO had just dropped $9k in maintenance. It needed rod bearings though so he sold it to me for $12k (wish I could've paid him $3k without the maintenance lol). DIY'd the bearings for under $1k including some other "while you're in there" stuff.

Hope this helps you gauge a little more. There are great deals out there, you just have to find them.
12k is a bargain to be honest. The cheapest E60 M5 in the Netherlands sells for €18k, it has 280,000 km (173983 miles).

1 - 20 of 41 Posts