BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I keep seeing these incredible builds from Sweden , Norway, Finland, Iceland etc ?

Is it the cold weather that keeps you indoors during winter to produce some very nice cars ?

Registered
IB DinanS2++ e60m5 6MT, Dogleg s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
I'd agree with you...my guess:

Long nights during the cold winters + idle minds of enthusiasts = some awesome builds!

Registered
That makes sense. What I am still trying to figure out is why most of the builds use mainly high end parts and not any of the knock off, cheap, poor quality garbage the kids in the US are using. I wish more people in the states would be patient and save for quality parts. Although they aren't building cars for me so I guess I shouldn't care.

Registered
IB DinanS2++ e60m5 6MT, Dogleg s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
That makes sense. What I am still trying to figure out is why most of the builds use mainly high end parts and not any of the knock off, cheap, poor quality garbage the kids in the US are using. I wish more people in the states would be patient and save for quality parts. Although they aren't building cars for me so I guess I shouldn't care.
I couldn't agree with you more. We see it everywhere in SoCal.

Registered
Interesting topic, Tony :M5thumbs:

Sveinbj枚rn, what is your opinion, mate :D ?

Registered
This is evidence of cultural differences that cover far more than just buying car parts.

Whenever I see a car that really stands out from the rest, I can usually assume that it comes from northern Europe.

Registered
Interesting topic, Tony :M5thumbs:

Sveinbj枚rn, what is your opinion, mate :D ?
Hello Sir ... :15:

Well guys,,,

here is my opinion,, and i am trying to be as honest as i can,,,,, i think that craftman skills etc etc,, ambitious to get a good education
handy education and self learned knowledge is often what take these nation from others,, TO BE REALLY HONEST,,,, nothing against other

we are few,,,,,, we are bonded together Norway/Danish tekst is almost the same,, and language is similair Sweden and Norway share the singing dialekt,, but tekst is little different,, and the Danish and Swedes can understand.. talk and write together.......... Finnish is the most difficult language in the world the gramma is with out doubt,, an outrageuos lesson to learn,,,,,,

Iceland .. we have the best looking women in the world....... and THAT MATTERS.... the language is difficult,, but German people have the best skills to learn it,
-----------------------------------

OK,, cars

Diesel...... Finland nr 1)...... Sweden 2),,,,,,,,, others,, 3) Norway 4)Danmark 5)Iceland

TURBO............. 1) Sweden 2) Finland 3) Norway 4)Danmark 5) Iceland

if we compare to the population........... 310.000 in Iceland we go high,, but not in the same league as the 2 lumber nations,, the Swedes and Finns

The Finnish nation is with out doubt .. the fastest drivers any nation have still created.. that is a fact

Sweden have MANY high performance cars in their registry,, so the aftermarket is best there.. PPF is outstanding ,, but expensive,, and SUPER top quality http://pure-pf.com/wp_new/

In Iceland.....We live many thousands of km from the nearest possible dealer,, scrapyard or whatever you wanna call it to get our parts,, so everything is totally insane in cost compared to many others.....

we have even though done many cool conversions etc etc ...... and we have a lot of extremely rare USA MUSCLE CARS,, ..... HEMI... BOSS SHELBY .. etc etc

here is just what came in my mind in the BMW league,

E39 M5 twin supercharged,, done in 2006,, one of the first 5 car in the world to be done like that
Same owner is doing a E30 M3 ..S85 V10 + DCT,,,,,,, i am almost sure it will be the first v10 E30 conversion with the E9x M3 Dual clutch gearbox.......that M3 had S50B32 S/C engine with drysump

my Cabrio S38B38.. 1st or 2nd E30 convertible in the world,, AFAIK to do it with B38 ,,,and E30 M3 5lug conversion at the same time

many E30 had the B36 conversion done ,, but in 2006 few infos were made and were available on the internet,, on e30.de there was a guide how to rewire and M30/S38 engine mounts were for sale and i bought from them.. we did it our way,, and it was a plug and play,, one in fit and startup

E30 V12,,,,,,,, few excist.. and just 1 cabrio.. afaik M3 replica.. in Czech republic,, S70B56,, a STUNNING car
i dont know how many have standalone,,,,,,as i am doing
in Finland ,,many years ago they made an E30 V12 with TURBO the first turbo i have seen on a M70,,,,,,,,,,:applause:,:applause:,:applause:
and in Norway there is a E30 V12 twinturbo 1000 ps,, and an E34 v12 twinturbo 1200 ps,,,,,,,,,, both cars are a mindblowing catapult force

In Iceland there are 2 B10 BT,,,,,, 237 and 346,,,,,, that is 2% of made cars.. and compared to distance and population.. we both are proud

here is a swedish company,, and some Russian guys are involved,, the stuff they made is IMO one of the best EVER i have seen
Mercedes is their main brand,, and look how they do things,,,,,,,,, A MASTERPIECE
turbobandit.com

Registered
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Hello Sir ... :15:

Iceland .. we have the best looking women in the world....... and THAT MATTERS....
-----------------------------------

I heard the Friday/Saturday drinking culture there is pretty hard core , you guys like to party.

Really interesting view on the car culture over there.

Thanks Sveinbj枚rn

Registered
OT, but Sveinbj枚rn = skilled + informative + entertaining + colorful handwriting, enough said; thank you for been here Man :thumbsup::cheers:
And as far as my Internet Forums experience, many of the Scandinavian car nuts can be described almost as the above combo, aren't they ;) ?

Registered
OT, but Sveinbj枚rn = skilled + informative + entertaining + colorful handwriting, enough said; thank you for been here Man :thumbsup::cheers:
And as far as my Internet Forums experience, many of the Scandinavian car nuts can be described almost as the above combo, aren't they ;) ?
Yes mate,, i do really think so..

but in eastern Europe.. many are doing incredible things ,, with intelligent ideas,, NO MONEY.. but endless time,, we have seen damaged cars that are restored to almost MINT,, just with bare hands,, and hammer+ some minor tools..

these guys got my biggest respect..

Registered
As i was talking about my cabrio,,, lets not forget the cabrio Finnish mate,,, JONSKU made,,,,,,,

M60B40 6g and converted BBS RS from 5 lug to oem 4x100.:hihi:..:hihi:..:hihi: I think Jonathan was the first to do E30 cabrio m60 swap,, absolutly amazing car

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
Sveinbj枚rn, is there anywhere you can use the performance of your cars without getting into trouble with the police ?

Iceland looks to be a reasonable size country with not many people in it so I would imagine some nice empty roads

Registered
The hardest part (at least in Sweden) is getting the cars through their annual 'MOT', although obviously there are a myriad of ways in successfully circumventing this (everything from bribes to outright engine swaps for the MOT). I know some of the Norwegian guys get their cars TUV approved in Germany which, as I understand it, automatically renders them suitable for road use.

The Swedish police are relatively hardcore when it comes to speeding, i.e. you will be disqualified if caught doing 30 km/h over the speed limit on the motorway. Thankfully, we do not have the sort of police state as the UK and the roads are far less populated. The chances of getting caught having fun are relatively small but the penalties can be quite draconian. Still we don't confiscate cars like the French.

There is definitely a very strong car culture in Scandinavia and it is one of the most popular hobbies. The long cold winters ensure that most people spend their spare time tinkering on their summer toys so that they are ready to get back out on the road for spring.

Lantz

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
Thankfully, we do not have the sort of police state as the UK
In 2009 I was in Hixon in the UK for a week with a new BMW 640i lent to me by my client. I could hardly use the performance due to the number of speed cameras in the middle of nowhere.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts