BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not against Tourings and by no means trying to second guess these cars, but why is there such a demand of Tourings in Europe? I am interested to know the reasons why people get a sports car with the extra room. Isn't there performance being sacrificed and money being paid for a sports car?

I really do enjoy the looks of the RS6 touring and the E34 M5 T. Again, I am not trying to start any fights or arguments. :2:

Also, if there is going be a Touring for the new M5, how many people are interested in them?

I always here stories about Europeans and there obsession with Tourings. :cheers:

·
Registered
49,475 Posts
Even more understatement
. Added versatlility. Also, the M5 cannot jeopordize the RS6 and E55 AMG market. Audi have had this market for too long now.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Well Im for one am a big fan of the Avants etc.

U get the same performance with the benefit of the extra room. At the same time the designs are imo just as nice on the Avants etc.

Who dont want to go 250 km/h on the way home from IKEA ;)

·
Registered
271 Posts
I know I should get out more, but I seem to make regular trips to the local DIY and garden supply stores - Tourings are definitely the way forward when you are trying to fit a tree in your car ;)

·
Registered
766 Posts
At least the European's obsession has to do with practicality AND performance, not like America's love affair with SUVs...

The SUV craze is some bizaar mix of bigger must be better combined with "I bought it 'cause its makes me feel safer" (er... at the expense of everyone driving something smaller.. :hihi: ).

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
Jessem said:
At least the European's obsession has to do with practicality AND performance, not like America's love affair with SUVs...

The SUV craze is some bizaar mix of bigger must be better combined with "I bought it 'cause its makes me feel safer" (er... at the expense of everyone driving something smaller.. :hihi: ).
Although this probably is neither the time nor the place for the "are-SUVs-evil" debate, anyone who has fit three or four children, a dog, and a bunch of luggage into a Suburban for a 5-hour drive will tell you that practicality is the overriding reason for having such a vehicle, especially if he has tried to do the same with a minivan or a wagon.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
I dont really know why touring models get me going. Something about how odd they look when being shuffled down a road at a good clip excites me. I wish my Jetta was a wagon (kicking myself in the butt for not getting one), as when I beat a better car through a corner, it would be even funnier if it was a wagon and I had 100lbs of cement in the back.
I really dont see why high powered wagons are odd. High powered 4 door sedans are just as out of place IMO.
:cheers:

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
MRichmond said:
Although this probably is neither the time nor the place for the "are-SUVs-evil" debate, anyone who has fit three or four children, a dog, and a bunch of luggage into a Suburban for a 5-hour drive will tell you that practicality is the overriding reason for having such a vehicle, especially if he has tried to do the same with a minivan or a wagon.
Amen brother.. I only have two kids, but they are young and the amount of junk that we need to take along for a week (or weekend) away is phenomenal. Throw in the "shopping that NEEDS to be done" andthe Sub is one easy choice to make..

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess you could say that the touring is like a SUV+Sedan sports car.

Its funny because everytime I think of a touring, it reminds me of the car in the movie Vacation with Chevy Chase. Great Movie ouich

I agree with all the SUV pro people. I purchased a LX470 and its been a perfect daily driver. Gas sucks but its got so much **** room (which I rarely even use) I guess its a comfort thing.

In your opinion, would you rather have a SUV and a sports sedan or a touring? Money is not a issue in this case.

·
Registered
213 Posts
sports sedan by far.

If I was going into the outback, I'd go buy a LandRover, those things are *awesome* on rough terrain, and for going bush bashing in.

SUV in the cities just cries overkill to me. If you need more room than you could get in a touring, then you need to buy a functional car rather then a daily driving car.

·
Registered
476 Posts
As an owner of an Audi S6...

There is something about an 340HP all wheel drive wagon that goes 0-60 in 6 seconds with my wife, two kids and dog in the way back. It is also the ultimate Q-ship - no one expects a wagon to go like stink. The new Audi S6 is going to be a 450HP V-10. The M5 wagon has the same attraction.

·
Registered
766 Posts
unespekta said:
I guess you could say that the touring is like a SUV+Sedan sports car.

Actually the touring is to a sedan as an SUV is to a pick-up truck. Physically, chassis-wise, as well as driving dynamics. And the really unexected thing is that many Tourings(dare I say station wagons) have more storage than SUVs. Go figure.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
unespekta said:
Its funny because everytime I think of a touring, it reminds me of the car in the movie Vacation with Chevy Chase. Great Movie ouich
This is exactly what pops into the minds of most Americans when they think "touring" which equates to "station wagon".

I gotta say, would be funny to watch someone get dusted by one while driving their "sports car"!!!

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I gotta admit.. a Magnum with some better looking wheels, in black, with dark tinted windows.. and a SRT8 package... interesting idea.

Actually, there is a guy that works in the same building as I with a SRT8 300C.. gotta say.. not a bad looking car at all. Interesting enough (even without the manual) that I might go test drive one just for the heck of it. And since we don't have a manual in the M5.....

·
Registered
89 Posts
MEnthusiast said:
What is it about the touring?

Must be the pile of money they put in the trunk---err-- cargo area!

Seriously- they are about to become/ or are/ cool again. See:

http://www.dodge.com/magnum/performance.html

I read somewhere that people, for example in the US, now buy "tourings" because they had a SUV BUT were very unsatisfied with the handling.

I must admit, that Chrysler-MB-clone is cool!

But I would choose this GM-owned-Australian-Engine-Powered-(except-turbo-adoption-made-in-Södertälje)-Epsilon-Swedish cool scandinavian any day:

9-3 SW

By the way, what do you think about the 9-7X?

·
Registered
704 Posts
vndkshn said:
I gotta admit.. a Magnum with some better looking wheels, in black, with dark tinted windows.. and a SRT8 package... interesting idea.
I guess its a matter of opinion. I find these cars about as ugly as it gets. I hate the 745 but its less ugly to me than one of those. They are just too tall and upright. Cars are not meant to be a rectangle on wheels.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Premium touring/station wagons do not sell well in many countries, for example here in Australia. I hardly see any E55 AMG "Estates" here in Sydney. They only sell well up to a certain price point.

Another question too: if the E60 M5 sedan is selling so well, with demand so strong, and perhaps stronger than anticipiated, do you think BMW has the production capacity to produce the M5 Touring?

I personally find these cars ugly. If I needed the space to load items, I would buy a normal Toyota station wagon to do that.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts