BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my CPO 01 M5 in Oct 04 from a local BMW dealer, I negotiated for a complete brake replacement (pads and disks) and a clutch replacement at dealer cost (both parts and labor).

When I took the car in for an oil change a few weeks back I was advised that I still have 4mm in pad thickness left so it looks like I am good for a while.

Does anyone know what would BMW dealer cost (Texas) be for a complete 4 disk and pad replacement ? Same question on the clutch. My clutch feels great but it is a wear item.

Thanks in advance.
d_russian

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
What does 'dealer cost parts and labor' mean? Is this dealer parts cost plus dealer labor cost?

Figure retail minus 30% or so. They can screw you on this big time. No way to know what dealer labor costs are..... overhead, workers comp, rent, shop supplies etc, etc. They can claim this means retail price minus profit- and their profit is low. Plus, they might try to charge you "book time" which it the number of hours the job takes per retail recommendation- and not how long it takes a skilled mechanic.

next time negotiate for dealer parts cost. THis will be 40% of retaill job cost (60% off).

Anybody have a comment on when brake pads should be replaced?? My understanding it that as pads thin, the heating of your brake fluid can increase dramatically- so they should be replaced sooner rather than later... my understanding may be wrong..

Maybe find out what parts cost is, and subtract 40-50% for dealer wholesale. Then find out hours for these two jobs (plenty of posts here). Figure you'll pay for the parts plus ___ an hour for the mechanic?

Good luck

A

·
Registered
590 Posts
ard said:
Anybody have a comment on when brake pads should be replaced?? My understanding it that as pads thin, the heating of your brake fluid can increase dramatically- so they should be replaced sooner rather than later... my understanding may be wrong..

A
Ard

BMW's wear sensor hits with about 3mm left on the pad. Sounds like the dealer's trying to get every last mm before they have to replace them. I probably would agree with the brake fluid getting hotter with less pad material. Although I have no scientific proof but sounds logical. :typing:

Under PA State Inspection the legal limit is 2/32's or about 1.5mm. To close for my comfort level.

Joe

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
My brakes are gone! 3mm already and rotors need changing! cant afford a brake replacement!

Any advice on the cheapest purchase and installation? Selling the car soon so i am not looking for an upgrade, just something cheap as a replacement right now!

The dealer quoted me $1800 for a brake replacement

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Ahmed said:
My brakes are gone! 3mm already and rotors need changing! cant afford a brake replacement!

Any advice on the cheapest purchase and installation? Selling the car soon so i am not looking for an upgrade, just something cheap as a replacement right now!

The dealer quoted me $1800 for a brake replacement
Your dealer is milking you. All four rotors don't go bad at once. Maybe one or two need cut on a lathe for $10 ea and maybe you need one $100 new rotor.
Avg pads are around $300 USD and it's a 4 hr job for a slow backyard mechanic. If you stop over, I'll do it this evening for $500.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
hudson said:
Ard

Under PA State Inspection the legal limit is 2/32's or about 1.5mm. To close for my comfort level.

Joe
That takes me back... to my youth in Bangor, PA.. and the dreaded state inspections... hoping the rust spots would hold, and the inspector didn't check too closely...

A

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Lscman said:
Avg pads are around $300 USD and it's a 4 hr job for a slow backyard mechanic. If you stop over, I'll do it this evening for $500.
Yes, but do you have a coffee machine and a fine leather waiting area ... that extra $1300 goes somewhere!

(Actually, I think his 1800 quote might include front rotors?)

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Front discs cost 400 EURO each and brake pads 250 of I remember right for 2....Have done that 2 times already (3 discs)...M5 has ****y brakes and especially when IDIOTs at BMW services put then wrong sides...

Bought first pair and other 2 replaced under warranty, although generally BMW does not cover brakes discs and pads as Warranty material...

It all about $$$ hiha ...

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have checked a few dealers prices in Texas, I found the prices to be pretty uniform between them. In Houston I checked with BMW North, BMW of The Woodlands and in Dallas I checked with Bmw of Dallas. Anyways, for the complete brake job(new pads and rotors and labor for both front and rear brakes) I was quoted around $1400-$1500. As for the clutch, I was quoted $2100-$2200. If changing the clutch, do a search here on threads regarding the M5's factory clutch vs. an upgraded clutch to make an informed decision on which clutch to install!:M5launch:

<!--StartFragment --> AZN M5

·
Registered
590 Posts
ard said:
That takes me back... to my youth in Bangor, PA.. and the dreaded state inspections... hoping the rust spots would hold, and the inspector didn't check too closely...

A
Ard they eased up on the rust, now you can put duct tape over the rust hole. :hihi:

Joe

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
hudson said:
I probably would agree with the brake fluid getting hotter with less pad material. Although I have no scientific proof but sounds logical. :typing:
Joe
Also, with less pad material the rotors and pads can not dissapate heat as well, which in turn causes brake fade:flag:

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
m5 rus said:
Front discs cost 400 EURO each and brake pads 250 of I remember right for 2....Have done that 2 times already (3 discs)...M5 has ****y brakes and especially when IDIOTs at BMW services put then wrong sides...

Bought first pair and other 2 replaced under warranty, although generally BMW does not cover brakes discs and pads as Warranty material...

It all about $$$ hiha ...
I was not aware of the actual cost of euro M discs in euro dollars, so in case you really need a front rotor....add $200 to my price quote.

If I was selling the car, I would not be getting a brake job at a BMW dealer. An independent service shop can handle this brake job and they should be able to measure all four rotors and tell you which one's (if any) actually need replaced. Fully-compatible M5 brake pads are available for cheap. Some of the best race pads for M5 are $200 per set & I have seen street pads for less than half that price. The E39 M5 uses E39 540i front pads.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I am getting my clutch put in with DSSR and SSK at Bavarian Hypersports in Houston and they are charging around 600.00 for install. Josh

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
My local dealer is asking $650 for a front brake job (parts and labor) Hope this info. helps:M5thumbs:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Beamer_usa said:
My local dealer is asking $650 for a front brake job (parts and labor) Hope this info. helps:M5thumbs:
Does that include new rotors?

My local dealer quoted over $1,000 for a front brake job (parts & labor) including new front rotors.

Paul

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
pkarmouche said:
Does that include new rotors?

My local dealer quoted over $1,000 for a front brake job (parts & labor) including new front rotors.

Paul
Yes, that is for the entire job including rotors, pads and labor.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
My dealer just quated me $1275.00 for a REAR brake job!

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I had the rear done by the dealer in hopes BMW would be paying (long story). I ended up paying ~$965 (with tax) for rear pads and rotors. I never did get [email protected]@#[email protected]#%$. It was an easy job too. I'm going with Euro rotors in the front when the time comes. I'll do it myself as well. Easy enough job.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts