BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's another chance to spend someone else's money...!

I've looked through these postings and found an unlimited number of upgrades that many of you have performed to your cars. I'm looking for recommendations about which upgrades - and the order thereof - you feel represent the best value in terms of your enjoyment of the car. I'm buying an '02 with 24k miles.

Thanks for the input....Mike
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
10,455 Posts
it all depends on what you plan on doing with the car. It is extremely capable as it is. My brain tells me i'll get an e60 m5 in a couple of years and not mess with it. When I had my 528, i just knew if i had an e39 m5 i'd not touch it either.... such plans.

The e39 really responds to some minor suspension mods to dial out understeer. This really can improve the handling for road and track.

If power is you thing, best bang for the buck is headers.
THey also provide some entertaining sounds for your drive, as will a cat back exhaust.
the list is endless...
Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,997 Posts
I feel like the car is powerfull enough for the most part for street use, but the power outdose other things. So for me i'd upgrade

Suspention
Shifter
Brakes


Liked ive done adn am doing


If you want more power to that, I'd do little things, first

Headers most power there

then intake and rest of exhaust
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mottati said:
it all depends on what you plan on doing with the car. It is extremely capable as it is. My brain tells me i'll get an e60 m5 in a couple of years and not mess with it. When I had my 528, i just knew if i had an e39 m5 i'd not touch it either.... such plans.

The e39 really responds to some minor suspension mods to dial out understeer. This really can improve the handling for road and track.

If power is you thing, best bang for the buck is headers.
THey also provide some entertaining sounds for your drive, as will a cat back exhaust.
the list is endless...
Mike
Mike - I have to chuckle as I look at the tweeks you've made. Case in point...it's limitless!

I'm not looking for extreme limits. I drive on the highway and rural twisties and primarily appreciate immediate throttle response. My daily driver is a stock 540iT. I'm willing to 'dial in' the M5 but not sacrafice civility or family comfort. There's usually a point of diminishing returns where the upgrades become more compulsive than practical. I've certainly crossed that line before.:M5thumbs:

I recall my '05 M3 - the addition of chip, throttle body, exhaust and springs made all the difference. With my 850's, it was simply springs. The M5 seems to have plenty of power/torque in stock mode...so what is it's primary weakness? What mod's give it the best bang for the buck?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
530 Posts
Mike:


If you do any power addition mods, then a better clutch is in order. Power ain't no good if ya cant git it to da wheels.....

Basic Driving Feel:

1: Short Shift Kit. Many choices.
2: Better rear sway bar. Cleans up the understeer nicely w/o going the whole suspension route.
3: CG Lock. Holds your butt into the seat.

Power:
1: Headers.
2: PowerChip
3: CAI (modest improvement).

Brakes: BBK's usually mean bigger wheels.....

Good Luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,625 Posts
I would reccomend you log some miles before looking into modifications. Having a mindset that you will modify the cars performance before you have driven it is not productive, and costly.

Obviously, a car that will be driven on the track will have a different modification list than that which will see all street use. Personally, for a street car, I would look at an exhaust and shifter along with the European headlights, which add a lot to the car. If your car will see multiple track days per season, look into a front brake kit, and suspension. Dinan stg. 3 or Ground Control seem to be your best bets, considering your comments regarding everyday use and family.

Also, why the 540 as a daily driver. Personally, I would ditch the 5 and use the M5 for everything, these cars are meant to be drive.

Welcome to the board,

Travis
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
M5Kid said:
I would reccomend you log some miles before looking into modifications. Having a mindset that you will modify the cars performance before you have driven it is not productive, and costly.

Obviously, a car that will be driven on the track will have a different modification list than that which will see all street use. Personally, for a street car, I would look at an exhaust and shifter along with the European headlights, which add a lot to the car. If your car will see multiple track days per season, look into a front brake kit, and suspension. Dinan stg. 3 or Ground Control seem to be your best bets, considering your comments regarding everyday use and family.

Also, why the 540 as a daily driver. Personally, I would ditch the 5 and use the M5 for everything, these cars are meant to be drive.

Welcome to the board,

Travis
Travis - thanks for the suggestions. I'm just being realistic. I've owned 16 BMW's (including 2 bikes) and have never left anything stock for long....except this 540 which will become the wife's car!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,398 Posts
I went with creature comfort mods first- performance perhaps later:

Cupholder (Ultimate for bottles, over on the passenger side AND a Tec)
Sirius (I did the integrated, you can also add on via an FM Modulator or aux input)
Short Shift kit

I'd say from an auditory perspective, an Exhaust upgrade will make it sound pretty good.

From a 'freedom to drive it hard' perspective, a Radar Detector/ Laser jammer might be useful.

Then, as others have pointed out, suspension mods.

followed by headers, chip, cold air intakes for performance (maybe 20-30 hp for $8k?)

Brakes.


have fun!

A
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
10,455 Posts
Mike, i'm serious when I said (to my wife) that i would not modify the M5... That was the plan, i just happened to fall into a previously purchased, but not yet installed big brake kit at a good price, and it went down hill from there. I planned on keeping my 528 for my daily driver (but sold it after 6 or so months with the M5), and with it's dinan stage 3 suspension, it just handled so well compared to the M5 (and rode better too) that i just had to do it. While at dinan, i made the mistake of picking up one of their wheels that they have siting in their waiting room, the lightness amazed me and next thing i knew, a set of those were being mounted as well. I do track the car, and all of the mods do make the car much more fun on the track.

Like others have said, try to drive it a while as is, a radar detector is a must, and if there's laser in your area, a lidatek too. If you have an enjoyable twisty drive that you get to use routinely, i'd suggest the dinan stage 3 suspension. Better handling, better turn in, still very comfortable on the street. Just a touch lower too, so it looks the part.
Mike

mshea said:
Mike - I have to chuckle as I look at the tweeks you've made. Case in point...it's limitless!
?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mike - I know that 'road to hell' well!:wroom: It all starts with a simple, single 'good deal' and escalates from there! Been there.

It sounds like power gains are relatively expensive and the best bang for the buck is in the suspension and shift kit. If I want 450+ hp, I'll get a different car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
156 Posts
IMHO:
1) Short shift (driveability)
2) IATS relocation (removal of a flaw in the base design)
3) Cat back exhaust (so you know that the engine is running)
4) Headers (power value)
5) 3:45 differential (butt value)
6) Chip (maximize effect of 1 through 5 above)
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top