BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"alusil failure" is the diagonose from the repair shop.

sounds like a nice object for sleeving :)

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
540is said:
"alusil failure" is the diagonose from the repair shop.

sounds like a nice object for sleeving :)
I would value it based upon the cost of sleeving and total rebuild. I bet this costs close to $10K, since a properly remanufactured 540i motor goes for over $7K.

If a good low mileage M5 motor is worth $10K, take the cost to remanufacture off that value & add a penalty for inferior sleeves and inconvenience. At that point, it may only be worth $2K or something which makes it a candidate for parting-out (total dissassembly to sell individual componentry).

·
Banned
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds reasonable, might buy it just to find out the real-life differences between them.
might be able to use the throttlebodies/plenum stuff from it anyway.

I'am very intrested to find out if the S62 block can be combined with the M62 non vanos heads.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
540is said:
Sounds reasonable, might buy it just to find out the real-life differences between them.
might be able to use the throttlebodies/plenum stuff from it anyway.

I'am very intrested to find out if the S62 block can be combined with the M62 non vanos heads.
Sounds very interesting.

You might investigate whether M62 and M62TU block differs using BMW literature. A good E39 mechanic may know if Vanos affects the block design.

Please let us know if S62 intake fits on M62.

The used S62 reciprocating assembly may retrofit to your M62 to provide stroker function & strength for higher RPM capability!

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
540is, any word on this?

I'm intrested also on the upgrade.

·
Banned
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Picking up the engine tomorrow, taking it apart later next week, should have some info next weekend :)

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
540is said:
Picking up the engine tomorrow, taking it apart later next week, should have some info next weekend :)
Thanks for sharing, friend......& please tell us what you find.

I'd like to hear what parts cam be swapped between the 4.4L and 5L.

·
Banned
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The are not shared - M5 seem to have sligtly stiffer ones, but the are interchangeable.
M5 fits 540 and reversed.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
BMW.WilliamsF1Team said:
Does anyone know if the 4.4 shares the same engine mounts as the 5L? Thanks in advance.
Yes, they are same. Tranny mounts same, headers same too. The engine deck height is the same, so added stroke is achieved with raised piston pins and/or shorter rods.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
540is said:
The are not shared - M5 seem to have sligtly stiffer ones, but the are interchangeable.
M5 fits 540 and reversed.
Aftermarket part#'s are same. I agree that rubber durometer on OEM may differ to optimize NVH tuning & strength for each application. BMW has a habit of changing part #'s for inconsequential reasons.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Lscman said:
Yes, they are same. Tranny mounts same, headers same too. The engine deck height is the same, so added stroke is achieved with raised piston pins and/or shorter rods.
The tranny mounts are the same for a 4.4 5AT or the 4.4 6sp? If the former, I'm surprised. Looks like an M5 motor swap would be really easy in a 540i. Nice sleeper...

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
BMW.WilliamsF1Team said:
Looks like an M5 motor swap would be really easy in a 540i. Nice sleeper...
Easy....install motor & bolt to motor mounts and bellhousing = 3 hours...then the nightmare begins:

The engine mgmt electronics will be a challenge to say the least. If the complete wiring harness with sensors and DME computer assembly is not acquired with an S62 motor assy, it will be super costly to obtain everything piecemeal. We're talking many thousands of dollars to buy a garbage bag of unprogrammed modules, sensors and M5 wiring. Who has the experience to create the necessary shopping list (bill of materials)...good luck. Also be aware that $500-$1000 ea modules scattered throughout the car are married to each other. A BMW dealer will lick his chops to hear you want them recoded with proprietary test equipment. Certain software & hardware versions are not compatible with each other & info is spotty. Dealers do not know what can and can't be done when trying to mixmatch stuff. You can not replace a "couple parts" and cross fingers. For instance, the DME engine mgmt computer waits for unique key signals from the EWS module which speaks to the key fob (wireless) & speedo cluster and light control module thru various bus signals etc.

A functional, healthy M5 turnkey motor conversion will exceed the book value of a 2000 540i in fair condition. This makes it impractical for everyone but 540is and a few other folks who own super modified 540i cars where cost is no object. The word sleeper is hardly appropriate in these cases.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Lscman said:
Easy....install motor & bolt to motor mounts and bellhousing = 3 hours...then the nightmare begins:

The engine mgmt electronics will be a challenge to say the least. If the complete wiring harness with sensors and DME computer assembly is not acquired with an S62 motor assy, it will be super costly to obtain everything piecemeal. We're talking many thousands of dollars to buy a garbage bag of unprogrammed modules, sensors and M5 wiring. Who has the experience to create the necessary shopping list (bill of materials)...good luck. Also be aware that $500-$1000 ea modules scattered throughout the car are married to each other. A BMW dealer will lick his chops to hear you want them recoded with proprietary test equipment. Certain software & hardware versions are not compatible with each other & info is spotty. Dealers do not know what can and can't be done when trying to mixmatch stuff. You can not replace a "couple parts" and cross fingers. For instance, the DME engine mgmt computer waits for unique key signals from the EWS module which speaks to the key fob (wireless) & speedo cluster and light control module thru various bus signals etc.

A functional, healthy M5 turnkey motor conversion will exceed the book value of a 2000 540i in fair condition. This makes it impractical for everyone but 540is and a few other folks who own super modified 540i cars where cost is no object. The word sleeper is hardly appropriate in these cases.
Very good points. I forgot how much those modules cost. A 740iL in the family had to have the auto trans module replaced and that was a lot by itself. I guess if anyone plans to do an M5 wagon, starting out with a 540iT would save time on the engine mounts, but switching out all the wiring and modules would have to be done like you said. I'm guessing this is what that master tech in Georgia did to make his M5 Touring.

·
Banned
1,449 Posts
So I quess I will keep my new 4.4L M62 in my '95 540i 6spd.:wroom:

·
Banned
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The S62 engine home in the garage, first task in the "540is knowledge Quest" will be
to put some heads in a flowbench to see the difference
between;

M62 4.4 oe head
S62 oe head
M62 Alpina 4.6 oe head

and as a comparison a
M62 "full ported" head (VAC Stage III)

Will be instresting what the differences are between these heads.

If I'll manage to find A M60 4.0 head I will throw that in to the equation, roumors says they flow better than the M62 heads, would be nice to have the figures to see if thats true.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
540is said:
The S62 engine home in the garage, first task in the "540is knowledge Quest" will be
to put some heads in a flowbench to see the difference
between;

M62 4.4 oe head
S62 oe head
M62 Alpina 4.6 oe head

and as a comparison a
M62 "full ported" head (VAC Stage III)

Will be instresting what the differences are between these heads.

If I'll manage to find A M60 4.0 head I will throw that in to the equation, roumors says they flow better than the M62 heads, would be nice to have the figures to see if thats true.
I am anxious to hear what you find with repect to head flow and other variables...thanks for sharing.

I was surprised to read the valve sizes in the S62 and M62 are the same. The S62 induction & cams appears to do good things, since the 10% increase in displacement should only add about 30 HP. I think there are some opportunities to produce an aftermarket hi flo intake for the 4.4L...or perhaps an S62 to M62 intake retrofit kit. An oversized single Throttle Body & MAF setup (more compatible with M62 electronics) could probably be adapted to S62 intake without much trouble. If the heads are the source of big gains, I'd be surprised. I'd just pretend it's a Ford when it comes to mods. This means fuel augmentation and monster intakes and oversized induction. Keep it simple when it comes to blending parts from different models.

·
Banned
1,449 Posts
540is said:
Super thread we have going here.Thanks guy's.In regards to heads,it it the reverse.The M62 flows better than the M60.And I would love to see a monster intake system for the M62.

·
Banned
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
jimmyz2 said:
Super thread we have going here.Thanks guy's.In regards to heads,it it the reverse.The M62 flows better than the M60.And I would love to see a monster intake system for the M62.
We soon will know for sure.

·
Banned
1,449 Posts
540is said:
We soon will know for sure.
I have both of them.:viking:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts