BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently had my center support bearing replaced and at the same time I put my winter wheels and tires on the car. I noticed this little ticking noise that increases and decreases with the rotation of the wheels or drive shaft. I can't pinpoint where it's coming from but it sounds like something under the dash or possibly the center console. I thought it could be something with the winter wheels and tires, and it's not very loud so I just dealt with it. Well tonight I put my summer wheels and tires back on and the noise is still there, it's driving me batshit. With the radio on I can't hear it but I still know it's there. It's kind of like when we were kids and you put a card in the spokes of the wheels but not as loud. Any idea of how I can track this down? Could my CSB of been installed incorrectly?

·
Registered
10,305 Posts
Your bearing does not have to be the problem it could be something stuck to the drive-shaft when it was out and is just touching something else. Could be poorly re install heat shield. Could be anything, blame the guys who did the CSB and go back and complain. On a hoist it will be easy to find.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is there anything else that needs to be done with the CSB such as mounts or bushings that should of been replaced as well or not properly reinstalled?

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
I wonder if you and I are hearing the same thing. Mine is intermittent, I can hear it with the windows up and the rate increases or decreases with the speed of the wheel rotation. It's almost like a scrape ....(sheek, sheek, skeek, sheek, sheek....) is the best way I can "spell" the sound. Car feels normal and it doesn't sound like it's anything serious but I want it diagnosed and fixed!

I've had the car on a lift and rolled the wheels manually and don't hear anything, but then again I don't hear it every time I drive the car either. It's weird...

I recently had my center support bearing replaced and at the same time I put my winter wheels and tires on the car. I noticed this little ticking noise that increases and decreases with the rotation of the wheels or drive shaft. I can't pinpoint where it's coming from but it sounds like something under the dash or possibly the center console. I thought it could be something with the winter wheels and tires, and it's not very loud so I just dealt with it. Well tonight I put my summer wheels and tires back on and the noise is still there, it's driving me batshit. With the radio on I can't hear it but I still know it's there. It's kind of like when we were kids and you put a card in the spokes of the wheels but not as loud. Any idea of how I can track this down? Could my CSB of been installed incorrectly?
Is there anything else that needs to be done with the CSB such as mounts or bushings that should of been replaced as well or not properly reinstalled?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Brake dust shield on one of the wheels? Somebody might have banged and bent one while changing wheels.
This is where I would start as well, after replacing my two rear tires I had a similar noise. I was the driver's side dust shield just bent enough to scrape the edge of the rotor and every time the balance point rotated by you could hear it. My car sounded like a clicking scraping noise.

RealOEM.com * BMW E60 M5 Rear wheel brake disc, perforated
I wish you luck.:cheers:

·
Registered
3,085 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
...same for the E39??
E39??, Same setup as far as the brake shield. I had to find my clicking noise by putting the car up on a lift while someone was in it and put it in drive slowly release the brake just enough to get tire rotation and then pinpointed the clicking sound. "This procedure should be done by professional shop with great insurance..." hmmm

RealOEM.com * BMW E39 M5 Rear wheel brake-brake pad sensor

·
Registered
628 Posts
probably something to do with the driveshaft install myn is doing the same thing just had my guibo n drive shaft replaced noise is from under the gear shifter and with the windows down i can hear tick tick tick slows and speeds up according to speed

·
Registered
273 Posts
i am experiencing the same symptom too. I have been hearing "tick tick" sound, the sound came from the shifter area toward the e-brake area.

I went to a shop and my mechanic jacked the car, while i was sitting inside the cabin. I put the car in gear and start reving with traction control off.

I can still hear the tick tick sound from the cabin, but no sound is coming from the guibo or center bearing area from the outside or underneath the car. Does that mean that the tick tick sounds is not caused by the center bearing? would the incorrect lb of pressure tightening the bolts causes the issue?

My rear wheel, especially the right side is making the intermittent tick tick sound, kind of like some metal is hitting on smth. Is it the wheel bearing? Or just some rear brake back plate problem? Would that be the source of the mysterious "tick tick" sounds?

I ordered the wheel bearing & flange, center bearing (bolts and nuts) for the job. I just want to share my symptom with the fellow members and also want tp ask you guys for some advice in terms of diagnosing the car a bit more in depth, before i take it to the shop.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
My car developed a speed related ticking sound a couple months after I got it. After a lot of playing around looking at brake shields, drive shaft bearings, CV joint, etc, it turned out to be broken teeth in the differential. Hope that's not it for you ($), but don't rule it out.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
In order to check those parts I have to take the drive shaft back out or at least get the car back on a lift correct?

·
Registered
85 Posts
No just jack up the rear/ pull up on ramps/ or drive one side of the car up on the sidewalk and crawl up under there.
It will be where the driveshaft meets the rear differential (in between the rear wheels towards the front side of the car)
I think there is about 8 of them w/ 2 bolts each...

·
Registered
273 Posts
i have ordered part # 13

KNURLED BOLT M10X65 6 26111227022 $1.77
only in conjunction with

to get those replaced as well. Thank you and i will make sure my mechanic will take a look at all the suggested areas.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The ticking noise is gone!!!! Changed out my aftermarket lug nuts as they were a bit longer than stock and everything is back to normal.

I can't believe I didn't think of that earlier, but it's all good again.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts